Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ebay, wrong item supplied and getting a refund
  • andylitespeed
    Free Member

I ordered an item from Ebay which is the wrong size. Merchant says they will refund if I return the item. However they expect me to pay the return postage costs.

After some back and forth emails via Ebay, finally told them that I wouold like a refund and that the item is available for collection or will post if they cover that cost.

Paypal refund/dispute seems to only leave me with the option to pay for the item return first, leaving me out of pocket.

Seems like the law is very clear on this and I should not be out of pocket, what is the best way to resolve this? My only options appear to be the Ebay Guarantee or Trading standards.

cheers

Andy

somouk
    Free Member

So did you order the wrong size or order a size that fits and they sent the wrong one?

andylitespeed
    Free Member

Sorry for being a little vague, trying to avoid specific details.

I ordered the correct item and they actually sent an item which was correctly labelled up but was obviously the wrong size.

Looking at the distance selling regs, if I’d ordered the worng size then the return cost would be my responsibility.

Greybeard
    Free Member

As soumouk says – if they sent what you ordered, you pay the cost of return. If you ordered size 10 boots, and they sent size 10, then even if the manufacturer’s sizing is daft and they don’t fit, it’s your cost. But if you ordered size 10, and they sent size 9, they pay for the return.

somouk
    Free Member

Ah, in that case I don’t see how they can say you are liable for any costs.

Ebay guarantee will be the best option. How did you pay, paypal or CC? Possible recourse via that for a refund as well.

andylitespeed
    Free Member

Ok thanks, I’ll try the Ebay guarantee, payment was by Paypal

andylitespeed
    Free Member

Update, had a message from Ebay to say they have refunded me and I can keep the item. Money has not shown up on Paypal yet, sure it will though.

Didn’t start the Ebay money guarantee process, so my last email pointing out the law must have done the trick.

Thanks for all the replies!

pinetree
    Free Member

I ordered the correct item and they actually sent an item which was correctly labelled up but was obviously the wrong size.

*Devil’s Advocate hat on*

“I ordered a size 32 waist, because I’ve always worn a 32”
    Buyer doesn’t let on that he last bought shorts a few years ago, and has gotten a bit porky in recent times…
    Buyer receives 32″ and, surprise surprise, they’re a bit tight!
    Buyer, through a sense of denial, is adamant that the product isn’t right and that he couldn’t possibly require a 34″… Goes on forum to complain.

Admittedly, this is purely speculative – I have never met the OP. He may well be skinny as a rake. Hell, this might not even be about shorts.
    It’s Monday afternoon and I’m bored…

mattsccm
    Free Member

I reckon the Op was lucky. If he was sent the correct size going by the label then strictly every thing was fine. No two manufacture’s sizes are the same. I’m a medium in Endura and an XL in Santini.
    Alls well etc though

Cougar

Academic now but for future reference,

Looking at the distance selling regs,

Distance Selling Regulations don’t exist any more. Consumer Contracts Regulations is what’s relevant here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ebay, wrong item supplied and getting a refund’ is closed to new replies.