Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Ebay seller using a photo of my bike
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I just had a look on Ebay to get an idea of what my bike might be worth and was surprised to see a photo of my bike I’d previously used on this and other bike forums.

Doesn’t seem to right to me. My bike is a custom build and is fairly unique to hardly representative of what a buyer would get.

Thoughts?

amedias
    Free Member

pic of your current bike owned by you – highly likely to be dodgy, report it,

if it’s someone re-selling a bike they bought from you then could just be supremely lazy.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Yep ooc of my current bike.My photo.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Doesn’t happen to be a Orange 5 does it?

jag61

Is your bike still where you left it?

steveirwin
    Free Member

It’s probably a Trek 2011 fuel ex9

bearnecessities

What mosey said – Diva with great spec for buttons?!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Yes bike is where I left it and with me here.The photo is of my bike in my yard. No it’s not an Orange 5!

It’s being sold by a what looks to be an Ebay bike trader. There’s 4 or 5 other bikes and a car on with the same trader.

Bit suspicious? My bike is built around a frame only option, and its a build to my specifics so someone is going to be disappointed and would think less than representative of what someone thinks they are bidding on.

butcher

There’s 4 or 5 other bikes and a car on with the same trader.

They’re not yours too are they? 😐

I’d report it personally. The guy has no right to use your image for a start. But is he actually suggesting that the bike in the picture is what he’s selling, or does he state that it…well, looks a little something like this…?

In the meantime, I’d maybe make sure your garage is locked!

steveirwin
    Free Member

Actually on reflection I think it’s probably more likely to be a Giant Anthem x

revs1972
    Free Member

If it’s the one I just looked at then he seems to cover himself by saying may not look like the picture.
    Why not just take a picture of actual bike ? Very strange

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

It does mention parts might not be the same…….

Still seems a little suss to me.

bruneep

link?

butcher

It does mention parts might not be the same…….

What, as in the entire bike may not be the same!

Shady, whatever way you look at it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Why not just take a picture of actual bike?

Cos he hasn’t nicked it out the OP’s shed yet.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Same seller is selling 2 x Titus El Guapo and a Marin Quake. Descriptions also Parts built around frame,may nor be the same and gives a mobile number for more photos.
    Why would someone do this if they had the bike?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Thanks for reassurances Great ape!

scotroutes

Is it Realman?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is it Realman?

Retro 🙂

Thanks for reassurances Great ape!

I’m married therefore always wrong so I thought if I said that it would make your bike safe.

evh22
    Free Member

You can do a google image search on the other bikes. I found one, posted the same photo in 2009 on moredirt and another on gumtree from 2012. Previously this ebayer sold lots of second hand. Not sold anything in the last month. Dodgy!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Thanks greatape. 🙂 evh i found that too.
    Anyone know UK cycle centre in Worcester?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Is it Realman?

Nah, he’s not offered the op £10 to say it’s not his bike, yet….

steveirwin
    Free Member

Yesss got it on my second guess

evh22
    Free Member
    evh22
    Free Member

They have a website and Facebook which seems genuine. I wonder whether they eBay site is not linked to that business. It isn’t selling the same type of items. Also the photos on their website have their logo in the background rather than using yours.

pictonroad

Still seems a little suss to me.

14″?

coatesy
    Free Member

We had a dodgy “agency” courier driver cut & paste our shop’s own ad when he tried E-baying the bike he’d stolen from us, unfortunately for him, it was a totally unique bike at the time, and the police tried a sting which failed as he backed out of the meeting. Even more unfortunate for him, he tried to sell it to the second highest bidder, who contacted us to check it was ok, and allowed the police a second, and successful attempt at a sting.Reward for the second bidder was a kosher bike at the E-bay price.Not everything like this is dodgy, but definitely worth being wary over.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. Having read Ebay rules it seems they be in breach of rules over use of others photos. There might be a plausible explanation but think I will report to Ebay justbin case.

donkeylunch
    Free Member

Why don’t you have a bit of fun first and ask if you can view the bike in person?

jimw
    Free Member

The UK Cycle Centre in Malvern is a genuine concern, they have a unit in Malvern and it is run by a couple of straightforward guys. I would be astonished if they were passing off stuff that wasn’t legit.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Is it this bike? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Anthem-MEDIUM-17-5-XT-FOX-XT-SHIMANO-32-160-150-/121878331883?hash=item1c6083c1eb:g:U38AAOSwvUlWqmNM

As your lack of link was bugging me and now I need to know out of purely greedy curiosity

steveirwin
    Free Member

I have to say I did actually find that even without a link through a process of elimination.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Took me a while as I’m not a columbo 😳 more of a naked Gun lol

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the one.

A little more reassured by your reply jimw,though I’m still not sure why they wouldn’t use photos if the actual bike for this and their other listings.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I would be astonished if they were passing off stuff that wasn’t legit.

At the very best they are misrepresenting what they sell. Straightforward doesn’t quite equal honest.

martinhutch

The dealer needs to give his patio a scrub. 🙂

Go on, string him along a bit for our entertainment. Say you’re in his area and would like to pop over to view the bike.

Chances are he has a load of random crappy bits he’s planning to build onto an anthem frame, but hasn’t bothered starting it yet.

benpinnick

Theyre most likely just lazy F***tards. The ad says its a custom build so slightly different than the picture.

“Hey Bob, got a picture of that Silver Giant”
    “Not yet Bill”
    “Don’t worry about it, heres one on Google of the same frame size and colour. Close enough”

plyphon
    Free Member

This happened to me once. Posted a photo of my first MTB a few years back, a stock Spesh Rockrider/hopper (forget), on to bike radar.

Number of months later (I think after I sold the bike and bought something better) someone sent a PM saying they saw the photo on eBay and thought I had sold the bike earlier.

On investigation a simple google for <Name of Bike> <Year of bike> had my photo on the first row so guess thats where they found that one. Removed photo and reported to ebay.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had this with my CAAD4, someone on here spotted it as it was completely a custom build so no idea what the new owner thought if the bike being sold even existed.

Wierdest thing was the seller denied it (quite rudely). I think I sent them a message saying that as I was away from home then I’d obviously been burgled and the police had been informed that the bike had been stolen and I’d sent them the ebay listing. Left it at that to make them sweat.

Tracey

Had a few instances with pics of bike stuff, latest one that’s taking the p is a picture of our dog as a pup is been used by someone who claims it to be theirs.

Wish they had walked her in the sludge, wind and rain at six this morning

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Ebay seller using a photo of my bike’ is closed to new replies.