• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ebay second chances
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I was bidding on some pedals, and I lost the bid, now the guy who was selling them new I was serious about him. Now surprisingly the main buyer has 'pulled out' and offered me them. Does this happen regulaly or do you think this guy was just bidding on them to up the price

Daffy

He may have more than one set. Just decline and rebid when he lists them again. You'll find out for sure.

I haven't been offered a SC offer for almost 4 years but, it's not uncommon.

kinda666
    Free Member

I've had a couple but IIRC i had been in a bidding war, i declined the kind offer both times!

oldgit
    Free Member

Hmmm I just lost an item, but now it's just re appeared.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Second that –

I bought some arays 7x wheels for my Bmx recently. I was in a bidding war right up to the final few seconds – increasing my bid to match someone elses, and then with about 30 seconds to go, decided it was looking a bit expensive and didn't increase further.

I didn't win, and then within an hour had been emailed by the seller saying the buyer was at risk of losing job, couldnt afford, didnt really want ect.

Now, who bids on stuff, keeps clicking on the "increase bid" and then as soon as the auction ends, after having chased the sale over the course of an hour, decides not to?

I didn't think anything of it, til next morning, when it hit me, that the chances are I was "shill out bidded", and that my behaviour of cooling off before the last few seconds, meant the shill bidder got stuck with the high bid.

The world is full of second hand pedals. If you think you've been ripped off, then you probably are. Since ebay made bidders identity anonymous, I think its got worse tbh.

Toy could try a counter offer at the same as the next lowest bidders bid?

Saccades
    Free Member

Just had the same happen to me on a set of forks, all a bit dodgy. Excuse was that the winning bidder was german and the seller doesn't ship outside the UK.

Was offered a chance to buy right at my top limit (a 10% jump from the last of the "real" bids), which left a sour taste in my mouth, however the seller appears happy to drop the price back down tyhe bid before the german shoot it right up.

I don't really like it though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Offer the seller 25% less than you had bid. ( or a fair price) I bet its a shill bidder

scaredypants

depends how much you want these pedals – I think they ( ^ ) are right though & you should offer less

AND NEVER, EVER, GET INTO A BIDDING WAR…EVER
    (wait til the last minute & stuff in your one & only max bid)

uplink
    Free Member

I bought some arays 7x wheels for my Bmx recently. I was in a bidding war right up to the final few seconds – increasing my bid to match someone elses, and then with about 30 seconds to go, decided it was looking a bit expensive and didn't increase further.

Why?

If you can't be bothered to wait poised by your PC use something like auctionsniper

oldgit
    Free Member

So is this second chance a new thing?
    I've never bought anything off Ebay, but surely this is open to abuse. I mean the item I was bidding on was won, there wasn't a reserve, someone clearly put in a winning bid but it re appeared again within minutes?

So is this how it is now, put on at no reserve and get a mate to keep the bids coming in, chance your arm and if that doesn't work have another go?

uplink
    Free Member

So is this how it is now, put on at no reserve and get a mate to keep the bids coming in, chance your arm and if that doesn't work have another go?

That goes on a lot IMO

Roscoemck
    Free Member

Not all second chance offers are scams. I was selling an old xbox game last week. Auction ended, received a message from the winner saying that he tried to pay but didn't have any money in his bank account. As the game was for his son's birthday in 2 days, would I post it next day and he would square up with me at the end of the week and give a bit extra for his trouble. I declined and left it for a few days. Went back 2 days later and he has had about 10 feedbacks added saying avoid him for trying the same thing with loads of other sellers this week.

I second chanced the game and it has now sold for less than the scammer bid. Game sold, bit of cash for me and new buyer happy.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Funnily enough I've just offered a pair of pedals as a second chance offer because the original buyer pulled out. This happened last night – Ian it wouldn't be a pair of Burgtecs you were bidding on by any chance?

In my case, the original winner has mailed me to say he's just been put at risk at work so buying bike bits is not a priority. It does happen.

If you were happy to pay the maximum price you bid initially then unless something has changed, i.e. you've reflected that the bid was too high, then why not. On the other hand, I many people get carried away with their bidding and having a cooling off period means they reflect that it wasn't such a good idea.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have to admit that I've tried a few tricks to get a better price for items I've sold. For example, posting questions about the item so that it appears there are a few seriously interested parties. But, sometimes that has also been because I've fogotten some relevent detail about the item and therefore posted it up in the form of a bidder question and seller answer. Although, I've never bid on an item I'm selling to try and bump the price up, I would imagine it goes on alot.

oldgit
    Second chance offer is not a new thing, however it was a source for scammers, so now the ID of bidders is hidden to everyone except the seller.

Strangelove
    Free Member

I've had a couple of second chance offers both of them at my maximum bid. I declined as i assumed that it was a case of the seller bidding up the price and then winning the item. On both occasions I won the item on when it was re-listed and for a lower price than my origanal bid.

Aidy
    Free Member

I've had this a few times, always decline the offer on the principle that bidding up your own auction is a bit off.

On one occasion, I had a second offer literally within seconds of the auction end. I mean, come on!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ebay second chances’ is closed to new replies.