Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ebay – gimme a hand, please.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m trying to bid for a small item but the seller said postage to UK only in the description. They’re willing to post to Eire but can’t change the details. Could somebody buy it for me and get it posted (I’ll refund the cost plus beer), please? The auction ends tonight and so far there are no bids.
    Thanks!

Drac

Why not just paypal gift them the extra?

Hairychested
    Free Member

It’s something to do with the way ebay works, the seller sees no problem sending it over to me but I can’t place the bid. I get told I can’t as I’m outside the UK.

afrothunder88

They’ve probably set Buyer requirements to block people from bidding from outside the UK. He should be able to change that by revising/editing the listing though. Pretty sure its changeable anyways.

donsimon
    Free Member

Will the seller have to pay fees if he closes the sale early? Could he increase the reserve to something too high that will reject any genuine bids? Then do the deal outside ebay.

Hairychested
    Free Member

That’s probably the case, I can’t see from my end. I think it should be changeable but as it’s around 12 hrs before it finishes it might be too late.
    Will somebody help, please?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s something to do with the way ebay works, the seller sees no problem sending it over to me but I can’t place the bid. I get told I can’t as I’m outside the UK

Can’t you invent a fake UK address and change your eBay address to that? Then make sure he knows you want it posted to Eire.

You can change your address before bidding btw, I did this recently for a US item.

Hairychested
    Free Member

don, there’s no reserve but I don’t think they will close the bidding early, they made it clear in the email I received from them. They would still have to pay insert fees AFAIK.

j_me
    Free Member

EMail me details.

Hairychested
    Free Member

@molgrips, I might have to, although the idea is a bit naughty.

Drac

Ah right I see.

Hairychested
    Free Member

@j_me, YHM, thanks. Please keep me posted 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes i will do it if they dont my e-mail is in profile

molgrips
    Free Member

@molgrips, I might have to, although the idea is a bit naughty.

Snot naught at all… Just getting around the previously selected arbitrary restrictions.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks, lads!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I recently had this – someone wanting me to change my listing so they could bid (even though I had blocked bids from their country).

If you go to home page and look right down at bottom you’ll see “Site Map” (2nd last of a line of items in blue print)
    When you click this you get a new page with 3 columns – look down middle one called “Selling” to “Selling Activities”.
    The 4th choice is “Manage Bidders” – Choose that and then on new page find “Buyer Requirements Exemption List” (the last section) and click “Add a buyer to my Buyer Requirement Exemption List”.
    This gives you a blank box – just add my ID xxxxx into that and I’ll be able to bid.

If they do that, it will allow the bid from you (as a rule exception) rather than changing the listing as such – it just allows YOU to bid if they allow YOU as an approved buyer..

Hairychested
    Free Member

@m_f, too late but I’ll keep this information, bound to come handy one day.

Here’s a hand on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAUNTED-VOODOO-WITCH-MUMMIFIED-HAND-SIDESHOW-GAFF-/140563225548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ba389bcc

POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    What an idea!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Snot naught at all… Just getting around the previously selected arbitrary restrictions.

But you’ll have an unconfirmed address and the seller might get shirty. He won’t have the (limited) cover when sending stuff.

Its fairly easy for the guy to put your eBay user ID onto a white list to avoid any of the restrictions.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – gimme a hand, please.’ is closed to new replies.