Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ebay dodgyness?
  • DezB
    Free Member

MrsDezB is looking to buy a fairly expensive item on Ebay; asks the seller a few questions, all seems good. So she asks the seller, who is fairly local, if she can come and view the item before buying.
    Seller says yes, I’ll meet you in such-and-such-a pub… now why would you meet someone who is spending a couple of grand in a flippin pub? Why not at home? I know I could ask the seller, but I want a nice balanced STW viewpoint…
    1. check it out?
    2. run a mile?
    3. other (please state)

cp

run a country mile

edit > unless they own said pub.

scaredypants

seller is worried that scum like you 😉 will know their home address & come to nick the item & whatever else you can carry

DezB
    Free Member

Ah! never thought of that angle scaredypants. I guess you have that name for a reason 🙂

higthepig
    Free Member

What scaredypants said

njee20
    Free Member

What scaredypants said

+1, people on here are always saying “don’t invite potential buyers to your house”.

aracer
    Free Member

+2 – I wouldn’t meet a buyer I didn’t know at my house when selling an expensive item.

DezB
    Free Member

Cool, glad I asked now. Will tell the lovely wife to arrange her viewing 😀

scaredypants

I guess you have that name for a reason

Don’t go blaming me for your thieving, scheming ways Dez – prison’s too good for the likes of you

mark90
    Free Member

A few years ago I was selling a car and a guy who rang up about it asked if I could meet him at a local pub as it was easier than him trying to find my house. Thought it was a bit suspicious, so went ‘prepared’. Turned out he owned the pub, and he bought the car there and then for cash.

DezB
    Free Member

blah blah blah ring blah blah blah robbery

higthepig
    Free Member

You could go with her, sit in a different part of the pub holding a newspaper with eye holes cut out and spy on them. Better still, if you can wear an earpiece, dark glasses, sip occasionally out of a half-pint of beer (either brown or yellow beer doen’t matter), you might also want to wear a big coat so that you can conceal your weapon of choice.

scaredypants

Dez – it’s considered rude to post any photo of rocketdog without adding a cap and a pint to the image

DezB
    Free Member

Ah yeah, sorry. Caught him off guard 😆

jota180
    Free Member

I wouldn’t meet a buyer I didn’t know at my house when selling an expensive item.

That’s what we all did before ebay when the local free paper was the the market place for all things 2nd hand
    Don’t recall too many horror stories TBH but I guess folks are just way more wary these days for some reason.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You could go with her, sit in a different part of the pub holding a newspaper with eye holes cut out and spy on them.

Genius 😀

aracer
    Free Member

That’s what we all did before ebay when the local free paper was the the market place for all things 2nd hand

You sold expensive things through the local paper?

Folks are more wary because the scum have got more cunning.

DezB
    Free Member

Exactly my thinking. The internet has made the world a dodgy place to do business my friend…

jota180
    Free Member

You sold expensive things through the local paper?

hell yes, motorbikes, jewellery, cars – all sorts of stuff

Folks are more wary because the scum have got more cunning.

I doubt they’re much different TBH

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ebay dodgyness?’ is closed to new replies.