Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Easyjet or Ryanair?
  • druidh
    Free Member

Possible trip to Malaga in April. Ryanair fly from Edinburgh at a convenient time, Easyjet would be from Glasgow at 6am. Prices (including bike carriage) are roughly the same.

Pigface
    Free Member

They are much of a muchness, as long as you get your head around the fact thet they will try and gip every penny out of you and treat you like cattle they are fine.

Not sure I would trust either with a bike but I am sure somone will say they are fine.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Friends of mine have used easyjet every year for biking in the alps with no problems.

steveh

Easyjet, much better luggage allowance than Ryanair.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve just spotted that Jet2 have departures the right day too – from Edinburgh.

Blurboy
    Free Member

Check Ryanair again because last time I looked they had imposed a 20kg weight allowance on oversized baggage such as bikes. If, like me, you want to take a full 32kgs, the excess charge at £20/kg for in excess of 20kg suddenly made them very expensive. Easyjet were still 32kg at a reasonable cost. Have used both and service is not top priority for either, easy jet dropped my bike box straight out of the aircraft on to the tarmac last time I used them, fortunately the box was fairly tough.

druidh
    Free Member

From the Ryanair website..

Sports Equipment* Fee charged per Item/ Per One Way Flight A maximum weight of 20kg per item
    (Bikes max weight – 30kg)

cynic-al
    Free Member

**** all difference in service until things go wrong – Ryanair have a bad rep.

Have you priced card fees also? – Moneysavingexpert will tell you how to avoid fees, saved me hundreds.

BA and others worth a look too?

wallop

I won’t fly in an O’Leary Jet (Ryanair) on principle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

He makes a good point…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blurboy – Member
    easy jet dropped my bike box straight out of the aircraft on to the tarmac last time I used them, fortunately the box was fairly tough.

Oh and remember kids, baggage handlers are not specific to airlines, so comments like this are incorrect & meaningless.

skiprat
    Free Member

Flew back with Ryanair last night from new year away and will not fly with them again. Bags that were the right size going out were ‘oversized’ on the way back and suit cases were just under weight (14.9kg and we had 15kg) but weighed 16kg on way back with no toiletries or suncream in and same other stuff!!

Have been told that Ryanair staff abroad are on ‘bonus’ payments if they can sting you for extra charges on the way back.

Just us and others will say they are great but we won’t be using them again.

kimbers

easyjet are much better than ryanair ime

Blurboy
    Free Member

cynic-al – true to an extent but when you see your pride and joy being unceremoniously thrown out of a plane with it’s big orange branding it’s difficult to think so logically (or innocently). Meaningless? – Don’t forget the airlines are the ones indirectly putting the pressure on the ‘innocent’ baggage handlers to turn around aircraft in short order, all in the name of profit. Maybe a tad more cynicism required??

cynic-al
    Free Member

They’ll be under the same pressure from every airline.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have used both and found no difference in service so go for the convenient time and place

GJP
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    They’ll be under the same pressure from every airline.

Not strictly true. The low cost no frills carriers business model is premised on higher daily rotations to provide higher asset utilisation. The traditional national flag carriers whilst still seeking maximum efficiency maintain schedules that are not so sensitive to turn around times.

convert

Easyjet for me primarily because O’Leary appears to be a tool.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Easyjet… Better attitude to cabin baggage… Worse punctuality… Ok with skis
    Ryanair… Good at going to airports in out of weird places, better punctuality, wysiwyg

mikewsmith
    Free Member

easyjet, tried to book Ryan air and was amazed/terrified how the price escalated for no apparent reason.

Also just tend to see more Ryan air cancellations on the board than easyjet (No Science here just what I have seen).

Worth checking if Ryan air flies to the same malaga airport it could be in Portugal

derekrides
    Free Member

Sleezyjet over Pikeyair every time, marginally better attitude amongst staff , speedy boarding and better luggage allowance and they’re not yet considering stand up flights and pay for toilets.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I am quite a regular Ryanair user as they fly locally to me but I have flown occaisonally with Easy jet and TBH I find the service to be similar but the Easy Jet plane seating have a bit more leg room.

crazy-legs

EasyJet seem to have better baggage allowance and the cost of carrying the bike is less. On the other hand if the flights are adding up to about the same anyway due to taxes etc then what the hell, whichever is easiest and most convenient.

Jet2 are very good although I’ve never taken a bike on one.

wallop

On Ryanair you are also more likely to encounter high numbers of commoners – the ones who give the pilot a round of applause when he lands the plane. I mean, WTF? Do the rest of us get a round of applause at the end of each working day?

tonyg2003

Easyjet every time for me. If you don’t play absolutely the Ryanair “do exactly what we tell you or we’ll screw you for every penny” game, you are better of flying something like BA. Also if anything goes wrong (I’ve been there a couple of times with Ryanair, with one major issue) then you are royally screwed. Fortunately I’m in the situation never to have to fly with RA again.

KennySenior
    Free Member

and they’re not yet considering stand up flights and pay for toilets.

I’m assuming you left a smiley off, and do realise that was just a joke?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Easyjet. The only reason to fly RyanAir is when there is no alternative including train or car.

Trekster

Ba from edin to Geneva = 5hr flight time via London 😕
    E-J = 2hrs direct 😆
    Similar cost
    Don`t fly that often but have had no issues with Easyjet.

steveo48
    Free Member

Easy jet every time ! Ryanair are are the scum of the air!

derekrides
    Free Member

tonyg2003 – Member
    Fortunately I’m in the situation never to have to fly with RA again.

Lucky you, wish I could say the same, I can’t tell you how much I hate them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ba from edin to Geneva = 5hr flight time via London
    E-J = 2hrs direct

Geneva to London – Newcastle arrived at airport early moved to next flight
    This year Geneva to London guy I was riding with got moved to the next flight as we were way early
    Flying during the aftermath of the Liquid Bomb problems re routed and home the same day as planned

All with BA

Flown with easyjet and it’s all fine if everything is working

geoffj

Easyjet every time.

chickenman

when Ryanair cancelled a flight home from Bauvais at midnight a few years ago, my wee lad drew a drawing of the plane with the words “ryanair are c**p” written in large letters across it. He then shoved it through a gap in a glass display cabinet where it was much admired by the other passangers. Such was the esteem with which Ryanair was held by the airport staff that it was still there when we finally left 12 hours later.
    IMHO though you can’t really argue with a)the most uptodate planes,b)cheapest prices and c)a very good record for being on time, so despite the boggin’ service, people still flock to fly with them!

KT1973
    Free Member

Both are horrible but I find Ryanair’s timekeeping to be better.
    I’m on Easyjet tomorrow and dreading it but it can be improved with a speedyboarding ticket and a lounge pass.
    Still shit though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

pay for toilets.

I would just defecate in the aisle.

Or maybe into a sick bayg, set light to it and chuck it into the aisle.

hora
    Free Member

My Aunt swears by Ryan Air. She flies with them to her holiday home in Nerja frequently back and forth during the year. Her argument is ‘if you stick within the T&C’s you’ll never have a problem’.

Personally I’d use Easyjet. Never had an issue with them but I’ve never flown with Ryan Air.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Easyjet every time are slightly better than Ryan Air. There is no way I would give them my money!!! ALthough I’d rather pay extra and fly BA 😉

hora
    Free Member

TBH I’d not use Ryanair due to the way their Chief Exec promotes the business. Easyjet? They recently ran a great tv ad. Sorry, these little things swing it for me.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Of the two it would be Easyjet every time. I just can’t bring myself to give O’Leary a penny as he seems to treat the punters with complete and utter contempt. Given a choice I would pay a small premium to use BA as there are no nasty surprises.

DT78
    Free Member

Flew ryanair over new year. They have different hand luggage size, as my case which has been fine for the last 5 years only just fits in their little box. Hand luggage was also weighed on the way back, had to be under 10kg. I,d go easyjet if had q choice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Easyjet or Ryanair?’ is closed to new replies.