Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Easy work food with a semblance of healthy
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Usually I’ll survive through work by eating the following items or a mixture of: Quaker oat so simple express pots, banannas, Belvita breakfast biscuits, baked bean snap pots, microwave rice packets, Uncle Ben’s Rice Time Express pots or Dolmio Pastavita pots.

I commute 22 miles a day and I need to eat, but I’m trying to stay sort of healthy whilst not making any real effort with food preperation.

At work I have a bowl, a spoon, a microwave, a toaster and a kettle all readily available to me.

I’ve been eating the above foods for many months now, but getting very bored of it all (except the porridge pots). Anyone got any suggestions for easy work food that fills you up and isn’t laden with fat or huge calories?

P.s. I don’t like salad.

peterfile
    Free Member

Albanach
    Free Member

Any kind of soup with pulses in it. Smoked mackerel pâté on oatcakes. Any kind of pasta dish which could be reheated. Microwave baked potato with beans eyc

growinglad
    Free Member

P.s. I don’t like salad.

Heretic!!!!!!

I do like a nice Salad..although to be fair, not much cop for getting your energy levels up.

What about soups?

Must admit, I tend to have what ever was for dinner the night before for my lunch. You can get pretty good tupperware boxes with clamp down lids to stop nasty slopages in your bag.

growinglad
    Free Member

Bloody hell, if I was single I’d have one of them there toasters….looks great!!

Always through a tin of oiled Tuna in the mix from time to time….With a nice bit of salad :))

Gunz
    Free Member

Sandwiches?

akak
    Free Member

Tins of mackerel in tomato sauce or olive oil. I cook rice at work in the microwave most days (cheaper than packets). Porridge is very easy to make – why buy those expensive pots?

binners

Chilli sauce?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah those toasters are great, had one for a few years now.
    As for meal options, can’t you make bigger portions of some evening meals and just reheat them the next day? Soup is a decent shout to, there’s some really nice ones in the Tesco finest range (although the beetroot & horseradish won’t be on my shopping list again…).

maccruiskeen

If you’re ok with richer flavours then the bread-y stuff by Biona is pretty good as something filling you can stick in a toaster

There are various versions so you’d need to see which one you like. Its good with stuff like pate, houmous, tapinade, I quite like it with harissa and scrambled eggs. It comes in seemingly small packs but a little goes a long way and toasted with something savoury and tasty and nicely heavy and filling. It keeps well and because a small pack lasts a while its easy to keep stashed at work or carry in with you.

29erKeith
    Free Member

dinners like chilli, curry, stews, soups etc double the amount you make and portion out whats left and freeze then microwave in the office. freezing means I usually have a choice of 3-4 things to chooses from for lunch and also no leakage issues on the commute.

worked for me for years now, very little extra effort to double the amount you cook in the evening. Once in a while I’ll cook a special batch of stuff but try to do do it by cooking more.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I ussually do a basic salad , just pick a pulse, cous cous ,rice ,pasta, bulgar or quinoa etc and add either chopped veg [ or roast em the night before , or tuna if you like .easy

ourmaninthenorth

Last night’s dinner, reheated.

I used to do a slightly longer daily commute on the bike, and like you ate too many white carbs. While I easily maintained weight, I never really lost any.

cheers_drive

Reheated left overs in winter. Also make big batches of home made soup.

Pasta / quinoa / cous cous / rice / bean salads in summer

The keys is to make them the night or weekend before instead of buying processed food and heating it up in the microwave.

zilog6128

Last night’s dinner, reheated.

+1
    Whenever you cook, just do extra so you can fill up some (BPA free of course) lunchboxes. Take one next day and bung the rest in the freezer. Eg, when I make a chili I do a massive pot so I can get at least 2 or 3 lunches out of it as well. Do that a couple of times a week, or at the weekend, and that’s your lunches for the week sorted. Particularly awesome: left over Sunday roast on Monday!

billytinkle
    Free Member

Some good suggestions – I do usually cook more than required, but I also manage to eat more than required that night too!

I’ll make more of an effort to cook and save for next day.

binners

zilog6128

hilarious.

maccruiskeen

Some good suggestions – I do usually cook more than required, but I also manage to eat more than required that night too!

I’m like you – no matter what I cook ‘left overs’ is an alien concept. According to the recipe last nights soup was supposed to serve 8. Theres only two of us, but its all gone.

bearnecessities

I cook a mahoosive pan of brown rice every five days, bang it in the tupperware with a load of peas.

Just scoop out whenever required and mix with leftovers, tin’o’tuna, chicken etc – you can even ping it if you want it warm, or you can throw it in some soup (low salt!) to make it a more complete meal.

EDIT: Keep in Fridge, within an hour of cooking, only re-heat if you want to risk food poisoning 😳

DezB
    Free Member

I have a graze box, nourishes me on commute days. Just finished some nice bbq pistachios.

Try one for free with this code: J7LNTW8

Nothing to lose 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I cook a mahoosive pan of brown rice every five days…you can even ping it if you want it warm.

Reheating rice you say?

bearnecessities

ourmaninthenorth – Member

I cook a mahoosive pan of brown rice every five days…you can even ping it if you want it warm.

Reheating rice you say?

Addressed!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Easy work food with a semblance of healthy’ is closed to new replies.