Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Easy way to remove dried Stans?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve a tyre that is persistently slowly deflating and I just noticed that the bead isn’t seating on one portion of the rim and suspect that’s where it is leaking from. Now I’ve put about three loads of Stans into this on the assumption that it was a thorn or something so the rim is now well and truly caked in goop.

So, are there any tips to removing large amounts of Stans completely from a rim? My usual technique is to remove the tyre and leave it to the air for a day and then spent an hour scraping it out bit by tiny bit. Are there any better ways?

benpinnick

2 options:

Xylene. Dissolves the latex but is messy, toxic and honestly laborious. If you’re determined its the way, but for normal people its a PITA. It also has the side issue of dissolving the gloves you might wear to save your skin from the nasty chemicals you’re using.

Green scouring pads. The cheap kind with no soap added. Particularly good at removing latex from inside tyres, also good on parts. The ones that are about 10 x 7 cm in size. Cheap enough you can bin it once done.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Second the scotchbrite.

stevied
    Free Member

If it’s still liquid use an aerosol cap to scoop it out with.

BillOddie

If it’s dry I just rub it with a rag and it balls up and comes off.

onandon
    Free Member

I pop on some rubber gloves and it rubs off in seconds.

acidtest
    Free Member

Did you really just say that!?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Green scouring pads work for me. I put the tyre in the shower to soak for a bit, then scrub away.

onandon
    Free Member

Yes I did. I love rubbing it off in the shed or in the garden.
    It goes everywhere, but cleans up easy with a hose pipe 🙂

acidtest
    Free Member

lol

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Would a potato peeler help?

rossburton
    Free Member

Didn’t take long for this thread to get filthy, but that’s usually the case with Stans. I had to throw away a pair of shorts because a Stans/air pressure accident made it look like I’d been in some bukkake incident…

Thanks for the tip on the scouring pad, that sounds like it would work well.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Let it dry and it’ll probably just peel off. Did this with a tyre, it was like picking scabs off for an hour. AN HOUR! Ecstasy!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Easy way to remove dried Stans?’ is closed to new replies.