• This topic has 168 replies, 97 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)
  • Car Envy.
  • wilburt
    Free Member

That’s three years of comfortable retirement, must be very rich to afford that for transport.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve read that r spec audis have fairly crippling service and maintenance costs, im not sure you could describe them as an every day car!

Take it to your local Skoda/VAG indie. Job jobbed

Rockape63
    Free Member

Routine service £630. God knows what a full one will cost with additions!

br
    Free Member

That’s three years of comfortable retirement, must be very rich to afford that for transport.

I’m guessing you’re over 50 too?

Last year I was looking at changing my car and considering spending +£25k, when it dawned on me that it equated to having to work for another year – I want to be retired before I’m 60, not past 60.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyway shhhhh….moley will be along soon to tell us we should all be driving 1.0L cars.

br
    Free Member

I’ve read that r spec audis have fairly crippling service and maintenance costs, im not sure you could describe them as an every day car!

When I looked at a s/h V10 S6 a few years ago one of the items on the bills that came with it was a pair of discs and pads, over £900…

Rockape63
    Free Member

Last year I was looking at changing my car and considering spending +£25k, when it dawned on me that it equated to having to work for another year – I want to be retired before I’m 60, not past 60.

You might be dead next year….enjoy it while you can! 8)

aracer
    Free Member

That’s the thing isn’t it? Just done a 300 mile motorway trip today, and TBH it’s hard to beat as a place to sit for doing that – what’s more, mine is “scabby” as you describe yours, which makes it a lot easier to push your way into queues, as it gives off the impression that you’re not going to be too worried about a little contact.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve read that r spec audis have fairly crippling service and maintenance costs,

The phrase ‘dream car’ ? economical car.

BigJohn

My riding buddy let me sit in his Aventador and blip the throttle . Then he let me do the same in his Huracan ( but not his other Huracan that he races in GT3) but I’m not really fussed about cars. Of the 2 of us I’m the one fulfilling my youthful dreams .

He’s good enough to concede that a Huracan is really an R8 with a very very expensive body kit.

robdob
    Free Member

A friend of mine had a S5. The gearbox started to have issues after about 3/4 years, out of warranty period. Cost for a new one £8k. He got a good used one fitted for a couple of £k and got rid sharpish. He then bought an RS5. Bonkers.

tonyg2003

Hmmm not sure whether to post here. Ordered my dream car (turns up in July -first ever new car) which is by any means a stupidly expensive irrational purchase but you only live once. I guess many people will think it’s nuts but what the hell. Did get a special order roof rack so I can take the bikes with me 🙂

crispyrice

What did you order?

legend
    Free Member

tonyg2003 – Member
    Hmmm not sure whether to post here. Ordered my dream car (turns up in July -first ever new car) which is by any means a stupidly expensive irrational purchase but you only live once. I guess many people will think it’s nuts but what the hell. Did get a special order roof rack so I can take the bikes with me

It would’ve looked less of a “look at me” post if you’d actually said what you’ve ordered

kayak23

It’s alright, not as good as a Berlingo, but it’s no Maserati.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I looked at an early 2000’s RS6 avant a few years back. Awesome car, ridiculously fast and at the end of the day a practical estate, But then I looked into the running costs. Hi crumba. Every service the previous owner had carried out didn’t come in less than £1500 by the time all the ‘While we’re in there’ extra’s were added on. A front brake and disc replacement came in at £1400 and they were Steel, and a 35k mile timing belt change came in at over £2k as you have to strip half the front end down just to gain access to the front of the engine. So that was the end of that little idea!

Watching TG at the weekend about the Focus RS – seems a bargain at £30k for a sub 5 second 0-60 car, but sub 0-60 cars won’t be cheap to run, even at Ford prices.

All of a sudden that £6k Yeti dream bike is looking more and more of a good deal! That’s cheaper than the first year depreciation of a big German Autobahn stormer.

bigrich

mmmmm, S5

matt_outandabout

I am just sitting here smugly with a car that is worth one service of a posh Audi, that does 25k a year in comfort with 7 seats.

Edukator
    Free Member

I can’t remember when I last did a 0-60 from a standstill. Pedal to the metal it was probably the last rally I did. You’re not supposed to stop on dual carriage ways and motorways and the local speed limit on main roads is less than 60.

Kryton – look in the mirror. You’ve posted pics of yourself on an MTB so I know you’re not a bloated, burnt-out, unsexy middle manager trying to prop up his ego. You don’t need this tasteless tat in your life so just spend as little as it takes to get a car that is practical, reliable, produces the least toxic crap possible and is no more luxurious than your living room furniture (I’ve noted some people spend more on a trim upgrade than they spend on their marital matress). Seriously.

Kryton57

Not sure what you mean, it’s not my car, and as I said I’ve no determination to rush out and buy one. I was merely posting as I couldn’t help admiring it. You know I drive a small albeit noxious hatch back with cloth seats don’t you?

Edukator
    Free Member

I meant you’ve no need to be envious. Perhaps the guy should be envious of you.

Kryton57

Ah. Perhaps the title of my post should be “Car admiration”. TBH I was a bit envious when I saw it, but I’m developing myself out of these feelings as previously indicated.

I think you can appreciate an object for what it is without desiring to own it, its just an applied mental change assuming you were formerly minded that way in the first place.

kimbers

There are other options……

Penile Lengthening

Edukator
    Free Member

Keep up the good work. Before long when you see an S5 powering out of a roundabout and over the zebra crossing as pedestrians wait you’ll be thinking “anti-social polluting **** in his shitty AK47 Panzerwagen putting peoples lives in danger an squandering resources”. 8)

cultsdave
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member
    Isn’t an RS4 pretty much everyones dream every day car?

Not even close, have you been in one? They are so small and uncomfortable. Not been in an RS4 but an A4 Sline. I honestly couldn’t believe how cramped it was. We had a couple of bike bags that I just threw in my Focus estate without even thinking about it. Tried to transfer them over into the A4 Avant and they would not fit. Even the boot on the A6 is not that generous, maybe just the shape though.
    But even sitting in the A4 feels cramped its almost like the seats are too bulky for the size of car. If I wanted or could afford a fast estate the RS4 would not be my choice.

bedmaker

fifeandy – Member
    Isn’t an RS4 pretty much everyones dream every day car?
    Not even close, have you been in one? They are so small and uncomfortable. Not been in an RS4 but an A4 Sline. I honestly couldn’t believe how cramped it was. We had a couple of bike bags that I just threw in my Focus estate without even thinking about it. Tried to transfer them over into the A4 Avant and they would not fit. Even the boot on the A6 is not that generous, maybe just the shape though.
    But even sitting in the A4 feels cramped its almost like the seats are too bulky for the size of car. If I wanted or could afford a fast estate the RS4 would not be my choice.

This seems to be a ‘thing’ with cars nowadays. So big, yet so cramped. I do most of my miles in my van and find it much nicer than pretty much any car.
    Only family car I really lust over at the mo is a VW Caddy Maxi life. Mrs bedmaker not ready for the mobility look yet though 🙂
    I’ve tried explaining it’s so uncool it’s cool but it’s not go through yet..

bob_summers

Edukator has it.

Although, a clubmate gave me a lift back from the club dinner (I was too pissed to ride home) in his Audi estate with Lmaborghini engine thing. I thought it was hilarious (that might’ve been the booze); I’d put the bike in the back thinking it was some clattery diesel repmobile but the way it accelerated from 100kmh was astonishing, probably faster than the GSXR I used to have.

br
    Free Member

You might be dead next year….enjoy it while you can!

Been there when I was younger, had loads of big-engine cars and plenty of big fast bikes, plus raised three lads to working age – now in my 50’s and looking forward to the second half of my life.

And yes, my car is worth less than my bike – but works fine, only last month it did a 1000 miles round trip with work, and is used every day.

BadlyWiredDog

You know I drive a small albeit noxious hatch back with cloth seats don’t you?

What happened to your heritage Italian lush-wagon and matching shades? You were living the dream. And now? Reduced to leching after another man’s over-engineered, identitikit ego pram. It’s all so bloody sad.

What happened? And can I have the sunglasses please? 😐

tinybits
    Free Member

Agreed – I had an A4 2008 S line, bloody tiny. Good in the front, miniscule in the back (couldn’t get a baby seat behind me driving!). That was with the big leather seats which I’m sure take up more room. Boot was OKish
    There’s nearly as much legroom in the back and useable boot space in my little BMW 1 series now.

Still love the RS4 though, it’s just not a big load carrier.

Think my next car will be a BMW 435D Gran Coupe though, that brilliant drive train with 5 doors, hatch back and 4 wheel drive. That’d do nicely.

Kryton57

Reduced to leching

I’m not letching, and you may call it “reduced” but I’m happy with my life, thanks.

And can I have the sunglasses please?

I left those in a Caribbean Hotel toilet on top of the bog roll holder, they weren’t there when I went back to look.

SaxonRider

I like your line, Edukator.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The running costs are eye watering – my uncle had a V10 RS6 that went into Audi with some brake issue (steel). It needed new discs and pads all round plus four new callipers and a minor oil leak sorting….£7k later!!! It went not long after that. It was massively impressive but not that lovable compared to the previous RS4. Major drink problem too – 11mpg when I had a spin.

I’d love a B6 RS4 (first of the V8’s) but they’re not that useful with the nice bucket seats which eat into what little rear leg room there is plus the running costs can be bad once the suspension needs sorting.

I like cars, so if people can afford a nice once, fair play. There’s enough people who will look at what people spend on bikes, guitars etc and think that’s mental.

BadlyWiredDog

Kryton57 – Member
    Reduced to leching
    I’m not letching, and you may call it “reduced” but I’m happy with my life, thanks.

And can I have the sunglasses please?
    I left those in a Caribbean Hotel toilet on top of the bog roll holder, they weren’t there when I went back to look.

I was only joking, Captain Grumpy 🙂 It is, they are, all, just cars. Cars are not life. Or satisfaction. Or status. They are just shiny tin-boxes with wheels on the corners and something that makes the wheels go round. Even nice cars, which that godforsaken Audi is arguably not, are just cars… things.

rocketman
    Free Member

Tend not to be envious of any cars

Working as I do on a febrile industrial estate business park there are literally thousands of cars here that at best I’m ambivalent about and many that I actively dislike

I think you have to move in different circles to be truly envious and for me at least, they’re just other people’s cars.

somouk
    Free Member

A lot of audi hating on here… Realistically they are almost exactly the same size and capability as the similar BMW/Mercedes in the range.

I’ve got an A4 estate now and personally think it’s a great motor, will be having another one when the time comes unless BMW/Merc up their game on a technology point of view. After driving variants from all three the BMW was the best to drive and the merc was the most comfortable but the Audi had a good line in the middle.

When I have the topside of £15k ‘spare’, I might just consider one of these…

scaredypants

My wife has an A4 “sportback” or something

I find it claustrophobic and not much fun to drive. She bloody loves it; actually says so every now & then when we’re out in it.

err, no, that’s it – no point at all

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve owned, in the past, 2 x 530d sport tourings ^^ (like that but just plain shines black) I put 170k on the first one without any problems with it at all, the second one I put 240k on it and again no problems with it at all. Both main dealer serviced and cared for.
    I have filled both to the brim with bikes, windsurfing gear, towed yachts around Europe and the U.K. they are colossal machines, understated with all the grunt you’d ever need.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pfft kids and dog would trash it in hours.

A lease on that must be <£600pcm, so in reach?

Blimey, it’s a good job I don’t suffer from car envy!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Car Envy.’ is closed to new replies.