Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Easy trails from Aboyne to Braemar
  • mtbeatle
    Free Member

Hi,

I am hoping someone can provide some info re some basic flat tracks in the areas between Aboyne and Braemar.

Ive done loads of mountainbiking in the past but our two boys are now both old enough to go on bike seats. (7 months and 2 years)

I know the fire roads around Glen Tanner and its that sort of thing I’m looking for, if anyone can suggest anything similar to that and provide links to maps, that would be great.

Thanks

Craig

scotroutes

You know there’s a track between Ballater and Aboyne? It’s signposted as the Deeside Way

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

As Scotroutes says there’s the Deeside way if you want to go along between Aboyne and Ballater. If you want to go out the other side of Ballater there’s a route called 7 bridges that is cycle-able as far as I recall.

If you want to have a fun hour on trails have a look at Tarland Trails – there’s 3 runs graded Blue, Red and Orange and a fun pump track suitable for all ages/abilities. There’s also a mini bike park in Aboyne that might be with exploring.

You can also cycle out from Dinnet round Lock Kinord and back – some sections of that are quite rock strewn though depending on which of the routes you take so you might want to walk it first just to see what it is like.

GavinB

Then from Ballater, you could take the B976 to Crathie (which although not a track/forest trail is probably the best option).

From there though, it looks more tricky depending on how much Queenie is cycle-friendly, as all the tracks up to the Invercauld Bridge on the south side of the Dee are on her patch. From Invercauld Bridge, just pop over the A93 and you can ride past the Invercauld House and then back down to Braemar.

I think that would be a pretty long ride for kids that small though, unless they are asleep for most of it! 🙂

The Deeside Way is ideal, and riding that from Aboyne out to Ballater is great – really nice track, good scenery and some good stops along the way.

GavinB

I also would not trust an OS map which shows any track within about 100m of the river Dee between Ballater and Braemar – loads of sections of riverbank have been washed away.

enmac
    Free Member

There’s also the Tarland way that starts in Aboyne. It doesn’t take that long but would work OK with your age of kids.

bruneep

think the Tarland trails are currently closed for maintenance after the recent floods up Deeside

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Tarland trails are open again now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Easy trails from Aboyne to Braemar’ is closed to new replies.