Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Easy jet looses 17 bikes on 1flight from Edinburgh
  • keith2005motorcross
    Free Member

I have saved up to go a holiday to les gets in France biking planned the whole thing waited for the year to pass and the day arrives.
    Packed my bike with 5 mates ,up early first to check in at airport, get to geneva airport no problem
    THEN —-wait on bike at airport 1hour,then 2hours same as 17 others then 3hours no more bags coming through.
    Check with lost and found in a foreign country. Frustration. …………..
    THEN GUES WHAT INCOMPETENT FU@@@rs have not sent bikes from Edinburgh. AAAAAAAARGH.
    Left in France no bike no word
    HOW TO FU@@ UP A HOLIDAY. BOOK WITH EASYJET
    EASYJET scum bags
    Hire bikes for downhil is another £85day
    Fu@@@rs

SO BE WARNED WATCH OUT FOR EASY JET THEY DON’T GIVE A SH1t

Yes this is only the start of a rant which will continue on my return from France

Keith and his 4 seriously Fu@@ed off mates

anto164
    Free Member

surely the travel insurance will pay out for that.. 🙂

andywarner
    Free Member

Mates of mine got back from Les Gets last week. Sleazyjet left their bikes in France. Better than your situation but still a serious demonstration of sheer incompetence and lack of professionalism.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

easyjet wouldn’t ‘lose’ them – it would be an organised decision due to plane weight/fuel amounts/other luggage (according to an ex-air hostess friend of mine)

the ground handling crew (a seperate company) might ‘lose’ bikes though. not neccessarily easyjet’s fault.

but it does suck!!! friend of mine has his missing too…

steel4real
    Free Member

Bad news – some years ago a similar thing happened to a large group of our mates coming from Glasgow (Sleazy Jet).

They sorted all the forms etc. out at Geneva airport and the bikes were all delivered 24 hours later to our digs in Morzine.

Not ideal but at least they only lost 1 days riding & being Scottish, enjoyed the chance to drink like fish for a whole day 😉

Had a simliar thing with snowboards myself (fortunately on the return journey) & again Squeezy Jet, but they were delivered 36 hours later to our home addresses.

uplink
    Free Member

As above – just claim the hire bikes on your travel insurance
    No point in getting all stressed up on your hols

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I live in gloucestershire and always drive to the alps – similar price and at least i know where my bike is and how it’s being treated on the trip.
    Flown once with my bike and despite trying to pack it all properly in a bag i got two bent disc rotors and a bent chainring.

Dunno what i’ll do when i want to ride in NZ or Whistler!

trail_rat
    Free Member

It was 22 on the 7am ed to geneva . Mine and 4 others in my group

We got ours at 9.30 today top marks to swissport though . Eazy jet really could no have cared less

Nothin missed as lifts in les arcs closed for lightening

ridingscared
    Free Member

Easyjet service in general has gone downhill (excuse the pun) rapidly over the last year or 2, they now make it seem like the passengers are a hindrance.

keith2005motorcross
    Free Member

Good pun mate got us laughing cheered us up

Swissair been on the phone bikes ate now en route will be there by 1

But a biking holiday is not the same without a bike .

trail_rat
    Free Member

Btw keith if you were the glasgow guy at the ubersize baggage whos motorbike engine took 3 weeks to cone from states ?

I was the guy in the green teeshirt

Trimix
    Free Member

That is shite news – but not surprising.

Ive just come back from the Alps, but I drove in my van with all the bikes of our group. It was a plesant drive and way safer. No crush, herding, scumbag passengers and crew. Plus we could take all our kit and spares – it was a mobile support van.

Hopefully your travel insurance will pay up, ring them to check though or you may be in for another rant.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Trimix – from aberdeen driving isnt an option – 1 day just to get out of the uk !

I hate waiting on the lifts to open !

Also i fully expect them to go missing on the way home . With a bit of luck mines goes perminantly ! Its ibsured and was built specifically for france ! A troof would make a nice replacement 🙂

stumpy01

As above, no way they would have space/weight allowance for that many bikes & their ticket booking system probably doesn’t take that into account.

convert

Putting bikes on planes – always remember the small print. Although you are paying there is still normally a caveat about them only being on the same flight as you subject to space and they have a right to put them on a later flight. Think about it logically – 18 bikes on one flight – that’s a lot of space. As such I’m not sure insurance would cover it.

I used to have to travel lots with my bike(s) for overseas races. I’ve had my bike delayed behind me loads of times with all sorts of airlines from the cheap n’ nasty to the full price ones. It’s enevitable when loads of folk all want to get to the same place with a bike. Sods law had it that I always got delays for the bike when I had cut it fine between landing and the race. Only once had to borrow a bike. In fact often it’s a winner as the bike gets delivered to your hotel and carrying the bike there yourself is a pita. But it is stressfull.

I hope yours catch you up soon.

GW
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for a DH bike to turn up from Geneva (put it in Easyjets hands in July 1999).

****!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

A DH bike owned by you would be worth a fair bit GW, the thief probs put it on ebay and retired.

donsimon
    Free Member

Putting bikes on planes – always remember the small print. Although you are paying there is still normally a caveat about them only being on the same flight as you subject to space and they have a right to put them on a later flight. Think about it logically – 18 bikes on one flight – that’s a lot of space. As such I’m not sure insurance would cover it.

Last time I flew with EasyJet and bikes was a while ago but they told me to arrive nice and early (hours) to ensure that the bikes would be put in the hold of the same flight, also that there wouldn’t be a problem with weight/volume as there was always an extra/reserve hold for extra luggage.
    Still a bummer to lose so many bike and have the holiday ruined.

bruneep

Trimix – from aberdeen driving isnt an option – 1 day just to get out of the uk !

Has been done Terry.

Barry get his bike?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes he did .

For a fortnight id drive

We were there at check in opening – half of us got bikes half of us didnt. No rhyme or reason too who go and who didnt

SBrock
    Free Member

went BA from Gatwick to Geneva….no problems!

would NEVER use sleazyjet EVER
    !

bruneep

would NEVER use sleazyjet EVER

+1

not after they dumped me at luton.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

used ’em a few times – even flew with our tandem. No problem at all

bruneep

used ’em a few times – even flew with our tandem. No problem at all

Apart from this time?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/easy-jet-dented-frame-how-much-to-claim

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

oh my gawd I am dim sometimes

molgrips
    Free Member

I had my bike delayed twice on BA. Was couriered to my door as soon as it landed (even though it meant being delivered at midnight) so can’t really complain too much.

bruneep

TandemJeremy – Member

TJ, admits I got something wrong shocker! 😉

pitduck
    Free Member

tj wrong! are you mad? 😯

stevie750

BA left my bikes in glasgow for a day and then delivered them to the wrong hotel. Finlly got them after two days

aracer
    Free Member

Bookmarked for future use 😉

Slogo
    Free Member

I blame the Fatties!

It was their excess weight and bigger clothes which took up all the extra space and weight.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We must be lucky flown with our bikes at least once a year for the last 8 and never had a problem, never had anything broken (but then Mr MC does pretty much take them apart) or lost. As mentioned though 17 bikes on a plane they won’t have accounted for that. Mind booking with BA you put the bike as “excess luggage” Easy Jet should have known as you book the bikes on as a “bike”.

As mentioned though wouldn’t your holidya insurance pay for the days hire of a big ass DH bike?

Edukator
    Free Member

Why do people take out holiday insurance? Why pay for the fraudsters and all those people working for the insurance company when you can self-insure. Health is the only important one and that is covered by the european card (in Europe obviously). You’ll find that many other things get covered if you use a credit card, your car insurance covers a host of others if you go by car (even skiing in my case) and airlines have to comply with obligatory compensation rules.

Each time you go on holiday note how much you would have spent on insurance and how much you could have claimed. You’ll soon have a kitty to cover most eventualities. Do the same on everything you insure and if you’re more careful (and more honest) than average you’ll be quids in. Just the money I’ve saved by insuring my car third party (no fire or theft) over the years (with compound interest on the money saved) is enough to buy a more expensive car than I’ve ever owned.

EasyJet, Ryanair etc: hand baggage only and rent anything you can’t wear/carry. Regular airlines: pack it well and cross your fingers.

rickmeister

We are off to Livigno for a couple of weeks and driving from Edinburgh. Easyjet was too dear with bikes…

BoardinBob

Why do people take out holiday insurance? Why pay for the fraudsters and all those people working for the insurance company when you can self-insure. Health is the only important one and that is covered by the european card (in Europe obviously). You’ll find that many other things get covered if you use a credit card, your car insurance covers a host of others if you go by car (even skiing in my case) and airlines have to comply with obligatory compensation rules.
    Each time you go on holiday note how much you would have spent on insurance and how much you could have claimed. You’ll soon have a kitty to cover most eventualities. Do the same on everything you insure and if you’re more careful (and more honest) than average you’ll be quids in. Just the money I’ve saved by insuring my car third party (no fire or theft) over the years (with compound interest on the money saved) is enough to buy a more expensive car than I’ve ever owned.
    EasyJet, Ryanair etc: hand baggage only and rent anything you can’t wear/carry. Regular airlines: pack it well and cross your fingers.

So to summarise, you’re a cheapskate

Cougar

Easyjet service in general has gone downhill

Really? By christ, they must be bad now, then. I can only assume that once hitting bottom they started to dig.

(Health) is covered by the european card

That’s very basic cover, though.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve checked the dictionary and “cheapskate” doesn’t include “basing decisions on logic rather than unfounded fears” or “generally buys XT but sometimes can’t resist XTR”.

spooky_b329

Why do people take out holiday insurance?

How does the European card get me helicoptor’d off a mountain?

Self-insuring is only practical if you take frequent holidays, for people like myself who only go abroad on average once every five years, self insuring is risky when entrusting £4k of bikes to the airline.

Besides, places like Snowcard will cover you and your equipment under one policy. And, those of us with M&S insurance can be smug that their bikes are covered even in the hands of baggage handlers 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not very basic, it’s as good as the health service of the country you’re in, Cougar. My mother-in-law broke her hip whilst staying with us in France. She was taxi-ambulanced to the hospital, operated on within four hours, spent a week in hospital and had psysio when she came out. She was insured and put in a claim for everthing that wasn’t free: £40 for the taxi-ambulance.

Edukator
    Free Member

You don’t need a Euro card to get helicoptered off a mountain. They’ll normally get you off without a helicopter for 100e or so unless you’re really smashed up, and if you need a helicopter they’ll give you a bill for 600e-1200e. You decide what to do with the bill.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Easy jet looses 17 bikes on 1flight from Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.