Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Easton haven wheelset help please??
  • graeme87
    Free Member

I’m looking at ordering a haven wheelset for my alpine 160 and I need a 135×12 rear hub. When you go to buy it it says 135/142 x12. What does it mean when it gives you both sizes on the one hub? Will this work for me?

Cheers

Popocatapetl

The rear wheel comes with an adaptor so it can be run 135/142 x 12. it just clips into place.

fivespot
    Free Member

Probably comes with two sets of spacers, and so they should for what they ask for them 8)

simonbowns
    Free Member

don’t do it – there’s much nicer options out there!

graeme87
    Free Member

What do u suggest Simon? I’m wanting to get rid of weight from the alpine.

somafunk

Don’t buy easton wheels, the bearings are utter shite and the freewheel pawls and associated hub seals are brilliant for dry n’ dusty Californian conditions but utterly impractical for our wet n’ muddy island.

Buy Hope wi whatever stans rim floats your boat or if you want a bit more bling then E13 TRS+.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Hope Hoops are hard to overlook, but it sounds like you’re looking for posher/more unusual?

What wheelset have you got on at the moment?

I’d go for something like Stans/King/DT hubs as a conventional 3 cross, 32h build, likely on Stans rims. Any of those options would last waaay better than the Eastons. It’s annoying, as we stock Easton bars/stems etc, but not the wheels – can’t understand why they have such a bobbins hub.

info@18bikes.co.uk if you fancy more of a chat through some options?

honourablegeorge

Crossmax SX. Accept no substitute.

sunnrider
    Free Member

I almost bought some Easton wheels in the CR sales but decided against them after trying to source spare spokes just in case, next to impossible. I went with Hope&ZTR in the end.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It means you get both sets of adapters.

As above, the standard bearings are junk, thankfully they are an off the shelf size. I have replaced mine with a set of bearings in the back from a Hope Pro 3 & never had an issue since.

They have a funky preload collar on them which is fairly useless, as bought mine very cheap second hand I did a little bit of experimenting with them and ditched the Easton axles and made up some through work that could be a copy for a Hope design…

Complete reliability now, and bearing changes/axle swaps are a doddle. Worked out lighter than the Easton bits they replaced by a fair chunk too, my carbons are under 1400g now.

I like them, if you can tweak a few little things to improve them, and get a great second hand deal, nothing comes close to them for strength & weight.

If you want an off the shelf super light, strong & reliable wheelset, I would build a set of the e13 TRS rims onto a set of DT Swiss 240 hubs with some DT Revs.

They use a straight pull Sapim spoke, nothing unusual, the nipple is a bit of a pain though. I managed to source a few spares from Germany.

graeme87
    Free Member

I have a hope pro 2 on mavic en321 but just pretty heavy. I’ve heard good things about the havens before now.

graeme87
    Free Member

Cheers for that. It was just the alloy version of the havens I was looking at.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Easton haven wheelset help please??’ is closed to new replies.