Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Easton Haven Vs Mavic CrossMax SX
  • dans160
    Free Member

Currently running the latter but being tempted by all things shiny thinking about a swap to the former. Any opinions, anybody made the swap? Will I regret it, will they implode at the first impact after I lunch a jump? Are they up to the job of light DH and some decent trail riding.

What are the collectives opinions?

heihei

Ran the SX’s (current version) and recently swapped them for carbon Havens. I would say the most noticable difference is the lighter weight. SX’s are pretty stiff, and the Havens are too, the carbons being perhaps a bit stiffer but not massively so. Both seem pretty sturdy and have been used to hit 10-12′ gaps & 6′ drops on a Mojo HD without too many problems.
    One thing of note that SX rear wheels can be switched between 12×135 and 10×135, whilst the Havens are either 12 or 10, but the 12 can be switched between 135 and 142.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Frickin’ sx’s. Hub, hub, hub bearing problems. Going to Stan’s Flows on DT swiss 240’s. Haven’s were an idea but out of stock for what I want everywhere

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Evans told me that havens aren’t 15 mm front a qr release compatible.

dans160
    Free Member

Havens come in 20mm front and 135*12 rear, just what I need. SXs are 2009 so effectively the latest versions. No issues with the hubs (assuming the rear) fixed using blue loctite.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

think the havens come in qr and 15mm front but not 20mm. Check reviews on MTBR, half the reviews are premature bearing failure and poor support from easton. Dont know if UK importer Extra can/does provide better service but the reviews were enough to put me off when merlin were knocking em out dirt cheap (300 quid a pair, probably last years model but not sure how much has changed).

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member
    vikingboy
    Free Member

Haven > sx IMHO andive had both. The carbon are stiffer than the ally but aren’t unbreakable 🙂
    I rate the havocs very highly too….1mm wider, bigger bearings and ony 100g over havens.

Cant go wrong with any of them TBH

backhander
    Free Member

This would say that you can get them in QR, 15mm and 20mm flavours;

http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/mountain/products/wheels/all-mountain/haven-26-673

dans160
    Free Member

Mixed reviews then. Most of mags love them but real world opinions seem to differ.

Nothing wrong with the SXs they’re just bit, grey… and it’s good to try different stuff out from time to time.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

backhander thats what I thought, 2010 couldnt take 20mm but they brought out a new 20mm compatible for 2011 (probably why the 2010s were so cheap!).

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Rear Haven starting to play up again. 3 months of use since new bearings fitted last year.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

them havens, to me, are a bit ‘YEAH LOOK AT ME IM RUNNING EASTON HAVENS’

dont like the graphic at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

them havens, to me, are a bit ‘YEAH LOOK AT ME IM RUNNING EASTON HAVENS’

Haha, can’t argue with that.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Thats why i’m going o buy the carbon ones, much more subtle

love
    Free Member

240’s with stans flow = excellent in my experience…an awsome combo, a truly super hub and great rim
    crossmax and haven competitor/alternative for sure!

anto164
    Free Member

Maybe this will sway you..

SXs are mint. Super stiff. But yeh, i need to whack some locktite on the rear bearing preloader. Need to tighten the hub up every couple of weeks.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Anto, this may sound counterintuitive, but if it loosens off like that, then you’re overtightening it – firstly, only ever set the bearing tension in the frame, ready to ride, and tighten it so that there’s a tiny amount of free movement when its unladen (play is taken up when rider gets on) – back it off slightly from where you would normally set it.

Hope that helps 🙂

anto164
    Free Member

ok.. I don’t understand how i can be overtightening it, as the tool is only 80mm long..

I’ll give it a go though. (Wheels are only 2 months old)

I only tighten the bearings when the wheel is on the bike.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Anto, this may sound counterintuitive, but if it loosens off like that, then you’re overtightening it – firstly, only ever set the bearing tension in the frame, ready to ride, and tighten it so that there’s a tiny amount of free movement when its unladen (play is taken up when rider gets on) – back it off slightly from where you would normally set it

Wrong, the bearing should have slight play when out of the frame, then the pressure of the wheel being clamped will take out the play if adjusted correctly.

nasher
    Free Member

If you are an occasional weekend warrior then either.

However if you ride a LOT and in rocky terrain, then DO NOT have the SX, whilst the rim and hub are ace, the spokes are utter crap. My SX’s spokes gave me 6 months use (albeit as a guide) and the spokes just keep bending and breaking, and if you happen to buuckle your wheel a bit then the spokes will break even quicker.

The SX,s however look effing ace and thats why I got them…and they were at a good discount.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Easton Haven Vs Mavic CrossMax SX’ is closed to new replies.