Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Eastjet baggage allowance confusion
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

9 of us travelling (4 adults, 5 kids), we booked 5 hold bags
    it says we have paid for
    "5 Hold bag(s) per flight between all passengers combined
    The 9 passenger(s) in this booking may check in a combined total of 5 hold bag(s) for each flight on this booking. The total hold weight must not exceed 160 kg. Selecting additional bags to check in won't increase the total hold weight allowed."

That's 32kg per bag in theory. Costs £18 per bag.

But then hte small print says:-

"Baggage policy. Each hold bag is charged at £18.00 per bag at the airport. Each passenger is entitled to carry 20 kg of hold baggage spread over a maximum of 8 hold bags. Extra weight may be purchased during the booking process, otherwise excess weight fees will be payable at the airport if the total weight exceeds 20 kg. If you need to take more bags than you have currently booked, please add the relevant charges to your booking. Purchasing additional bags does not increase your weight allowance.

Baggage allowance. Each paying passenger may take one standard piece of hand baggage, dimensions 56x45x25cm. The number of standard checked-in hold baggage stated for your booking must weigh no more than 20kg in total. The 20kg hold bag weight allowance (per passenger) does not increase with the addition of further hold bags. Extra weight may be purchased during the booking process. Additional charges payable at the airport will apply if you exceed the pre-paid weight limit."

SO what the heck does that mean.
    I can see there is no charge for 5 bags at 20kg each.
    Max bag weight 32kg
    WHat if bags weigh between 20-32kg? DO they charge?

Thanks for looking.

bananaworld
    Free Member

I'm so sick of these weight-weenie threads.

Look, it's quite simple: you'll save more weight if you simply do a poo before heading out.

Ok???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

book with a grown up airline

kempfab
    Free Member

I think it says somewhere else, £10/kg between 20-32kg? Payable when weighing in at check in. 160kg is your group maximum. I think…!

grantway
    Free Member

I believe that they over charge for the extra weight
    of 20 KG and over as an handler can only carry a certain
    amount of weight now.
    has opposed to three years back when you put anything including the kitchen sink into one case.
    Youll find this is wide across all airlines now.

Also if you walk onto the plane with a laptop this will be classed as one piece of hand luggage.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Simple. You don't get on the plane if a bag is over 32 kg. Some pooor porter dude would wreck his back. If all of you turn up with 32 kg bags. – no problem. But you pay for each kilo over 20 kg in each individual bag. If one bag is 25 and one is 15 you may have to pay. If one bag is 33 kg and another is 1 kg you don't fly.

It is worded to confuse I think. They make a tidy sum from excess baggage. Take comfort from the fact you're not with ryanair.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

good explanation gents. Pity they can't be so clear. Its only going to cause them problems and bad feeling eh!

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Now i am cofused again.

Also read this
    http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31031&start=160
    Key point on this link is that once you book a bag in the hold, it entitles all passengers to 20kg of luggage (totally bizzare eh!), but only 32kg per bag max. so

persons bags booked Weight allowed in bags without charge (examples)
    1 1 20kg
    2 1 32kg
    2 2 20kg + 20kg, or 18kg+22kg, or 32kg + 8kg etc
    9 5 (that's us)32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg
    9 6 32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg + 20kg

Can anybody confirm this? They really do try to confuse!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

You can take five bags, totalling 100kg. Three of them could be 32kg, and the other 2 4kg each if you liked.

If everyone packs a bag over 20kg, you get charged for every kg over 20kg and can't go over 32kg per bag.

footflaps

Always found check in desk staff helpful and quite lenient with baggage allowances – eg skiing with Monarch – my bag was over, GFs was under – so it was all ok.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

it sees to have take all teh spaces out of the nice 3 column table I just made. Try this

persons…..bags booked…..Weight allowed in bags without charge (examples)
    1………… 1 …………… 20kg
    2……….. 1 …………… 32kg
    2……….. 2 …………… 20kg + 20kg, or 18kg+22kg, or 32kg + 8kg etc
    9……….. 5 (that's us).32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg
    9……….. 6 …………… 32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg +32kg + 20kg

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Ah, wait.

The most you can carry is:

Passengers 1+2 use one bag = 32kg
    Passengers 3+4 use one bag = 32kg
    Passengers 5+6 use one bag = 32kg
    Passengers 7+8 use one bag = 32kg
    Passenger 9 use one bag = 20kg, or up to 32kg paying for the excess.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

so its about pairing up???????? where possible.

Are yoou confident as the EJ website doesn't make that clear (what a surprise).

I initially read it that any bag over 20kg is an excess at £10/kg, so I could get stiffed for £480 in above example.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

32+32+32+32+20=148kg. I wonder where the 160kg in my original post comes from?

Maybe they are letting me have the 5th bag at 32kg cos there's 9 of us (it may be in the small print or are they just trying to confuse!)

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

They'll let you have the fifth bag (for one person) at 32kg if you pay for anything over 20kg.

At least that makes sense to me!

Lesanita2
    Free Member

thanks rock. I don't understand, but at least I know now.

JBiker
    Free Member

Just to add to the confusion (maybe). And since this is a bike thread. If you pay for the carriage of sports equipment (bike, snowboard, surfboard, etc), it automatically ups your individual allowance from 20 to 32kgs. And it's cheaper than the /kg rate for XS bags. So for bike / snow / surf holidays, this is the best bet: pack as much as you can in the said equipment bag around your chosen toy, up to 32kgs. Put all the really heavy & fragile stuff in your carry-on, since EJ don't have a weight limit for this (though there is a size limit). One of those £15 digital luggage scales is a worthwhile investment – pays for itself in one go if xs bag charges are avoided.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Sussed it now. After caling EJ.

To avoid paying excess….

Each passenger can theoretically have 20kg. We are 9 in our party so we can have 180kg, but our allowance is actually zero, unless we buy baggage allowance.

We bough 5 baggage allowances, which allows upto 32kg per bag.

SO we can have 5 bags, all which can carry upto 32kg, without paying excess baggage (total weight 32 x 5 = 160kg).

Note – we all need to check in at the same time.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Eastjet baggage allowance confusion’ is closed to new replies.