Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • DW/VPP bikes and platform shocks
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Why do folk run these bob-free wonderbikes with platform damped shocks?

Is the design actually not doing what is claimed, or do riders not know what they are talking about and need to have the latest/best kit on their bikes?

I'm serious!

tazzymtb

it's nice to lock out fully for road bashes?

cynic-al
    Free Member

With a DHX or DHX air?

Rickos
    Free Member

Are the manufacturers not the doofus in this respect seeing as they're the ones speccing the shocks?

coogan
    Free Member

I can run mine without all the gubbins. 8)

oxnop
    Free Member

is this aimed at me Al?

DarkIgor
    Free Member

I never touch the pro pedal on my blur. It's a very light tune anyway so it doesn't do much.

Someone did say to use it for steep climbs. With the pro-pedal on it sits at the top of it's travel so you are more over the front.

Rickos
    Free Member

Al – what shock did you have on the Gnome-ad?

coogan
    Free Member

Some old bed spring he bought of ebay I think. :mrgreen:

convert

cos it came with it?

Either it's(rp23) tuned so light on my 5 spot or makes so little difference to the DW ride that I'm still not 100% sure that I know which way the lever is on!

cynic-al
    Free Member

My point is WE ARE BEING CONNED

Rickos – Member
    Al – what shock did you have on the Gnome-ad?

Vanilla. Don't recall you overtaking me coogan!

deserter
    Free Member

because people have a bench mark in their head that a bike at a certain price point should be equipped with, and as such how you differentiate between the cheap model and the more expensive one

so its not cause you need it, more because you think you should have it

coogan
    Free Member

That's because I was way in front. 8)

z1ppy

deserter – Member
    because people have a bench mark in their head that a bike at a certain price point should be equipped with, and as such how you differentiate between the cheap model and the more expensive one

Yep indeedy, why would you buy a IBIS Mojo with a basic Float R, just doesn't sound right (were ignoring the fact that the Float R has propedal), for that much money you want the top fox shock, the RP23 (air for lightness obviously), whether or not you need it.
    Con? Nah, just users expectation set to high.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Why is the rp 23 the best fox shock, because it costs the most?

z1ppy

or actually, as you can't get a non-pro-pedal fox shock, maybe the RP series is there best option, as at least you can turn it off? 😕

z1ppy

si – it has the most features, so obviously is the best, especially if you don't have a VPP/DW link bike 😉

(to clarify best fox air shock, not best fox/non-fox shock)

convert

Showing ignorance here – must read the manuals – does rp23 give you the option of turning propedal on and off (turning on being at 3 different levels) whilst the r is always on? So if a suspension setup does not need on (a la DW for example) is there currently an air shock on the market that has no platform at all? What I'm driving at is if the bike was just sold with the R model it might being doing the design no favours by allowing it to be ridden "released". I might be talking bollox now!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Most does not always equal best. Do you think DW designed the linkage with pro pedal in mind?

chickenman

I've a Blur with a 5th Element Air (of legendary noteriaty, but always been fine for me!); can't switch off the pedal platform on this one. I suppose the rear of the bike is taught while pedaling hard, but decending with your bum off the saddle it's still quite crisp at the back, more like a hardtail, but without the buckeroo experience.
    Guess I should try letting some air out of the IPF valve and see what diference it makes!

z1ppy

Si no, but I have single pivot bike, so the RP23 was the 'best' option available to me at that price point, as it gives me the most choice. As I say above whether or not the DW link 'needs' PP, the perception is that it's the best – and it maybe as you can turn off the PP and use the suspension design as intended

scaredypants

surely we're all on custom valved cane creek etc shocks now anyway ?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I run the pro-pedal on when racing my DW Flux.I find if i don't do it, it blows through the travel and the pedals hit the floor.It has a low bb.General trail riding i switch it of.Currently running a 100mm Sid.I think maybe a 120mm Sid might be the answer with the the low bb.
    Don't know if many people have the same issues with there Flux?
    Thanx Max

mildred

You mention dhx shocks – some people may just leave it switched off (as is the option on this shock), yet still like the feel or characteristics of a large air volume shock. Having this type of adjustability also means that if you want to experiment and step outside of the frame manufacturers idea of how it should feel, you have this option without having to send it back to Mojo for a different tune.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You mention dhx shocks – some people may just leave it switched off (as is the option on this shock)

mine didn't.

Rickos
    Free Member

Chunky put a plain old Vanilla on his Turner, but had it Push'd by TF Tuned. He likes. Prolly like it even more next week when he's in the Alps.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘DW/VPP bikes and platform shocks’ is closed to new replies.