Viewing 24 posts - 201 through 224 (of 224 total)
  • Dumyat. Another cracking descent gone….
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds like the contractors intentions were way off SP networks, who knows what it would’ve ended up looking like.

StirlingCrispin

Today’s photo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1GDq2XvKqUVclZLVzlKV1c2WDVtYl85bkhTRDlrSlROR29J

Breathtakingly unbelievable. This is not what we agreed.
    The local councillor is on the phone to senior directors at SPEN. Seriously unimpressed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s just bizarre!

legend
    Free Member

I get the feeling whoever is running the site works didn’t take in a single word of the discussion

StirlingCrispin

I’ve put the article from Wednesday’s Observer here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/XiTePjweMSKcqY6x2

Captures what was agreed.

I get the feeling whoever is running the site works didn’t take in a single word of the discussion

Legend – it would appear so.

Will let you know what develops today….

matt_outandabout

Is it being thick, arrogance or misplaced sense of ‘this is better’?

Grrr

legend
    Free Member

Cllr Alasdair Tollemache has been back in touch with SPEN following the above

warpcow
    Free Member

So they took the feedback about what they needed to do to make it actually better and decided to make 2 completely separate trails instead? Weird.

Truly great work everyone working against this, though. I grew up riding up there, and all the photos bring back some fond memories, as well as a sense of disappointment.

DickBarton

Have sent another flurry of complaints, unlikely to make much difference going by the latest developments.

StirlingCrispin

The latest on Dumyat:

Stirling Council to stage meeting over anger at ‘second track’ on Dumyat Hill

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/stirling-council-stage-meeting-following-11254315#ICID=Android_DailyRecordNewsApp_AppShare

matt_outandabout

Ive complained again to SpEn and not had reply….

Glad you and Bruce are on it – I would join you tomorrow if I could, but I’m training in Fife…

km79
    Free Member

Cycling-UK Right-To-Rep for Stirling, Dr Crispin Bennett

Good work but I think you need a catchier title!

DickBarton

I couldn’t get time up work but another interested party is going to represent the club (as well as Bruce).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good work folks.

StirlingCrispin

From Stirling Council:
    “I now attach my note of the meeting which should be read in conjunction with a separate summary and mapping from Chris Cairns and Bob Aitken, also attached. This includes Section 3 :- ‘A revised approach to current and future repairs’ which I am of the view is a fair summary of the proposals discussed at the meeting.
    Given the oncoming winter it may not be feasible for the finally agreed scope of works to be completed this year however, as highlighted in the proposals, the timeous completion of the initial section of path would pre-empt winter damage.”

Attached files at:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1GDq2XvKqUVd3lVbUhDZHpfVWFhaVdNZnlSQlBYMnU1UWhr/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1GDq2XvKqUVVk9tX195VXNEVllJYjBZaEc1ZmMtSTV3T3BR/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1GDq2XvKqUVX2pCTkRwSGdHSWFsMjFLYjdDQnk5dGVhUXpZ/view?usp=sharing

A definite improvement on what was planned but still some arguments to be had. I’ll put together my response on Thursday, following discussion with my biking friends. Please email if you have any thoughts.

matt_outandabout

I was up there last night with my European visitors. The mud path Futher up is so slippery most of them to to the grass edge and last few bits of bedrock…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Any update on the state of play with the Dumyat path at the moment?

matt_outandabout

Muddy at lunchtime.

StirlingCrispin

Work is halted.

A path expert called Bob Aitken has offered to come out of retirement and help. A massive thanks for his efforts.

A group talked through the proposals on the hillside a few weeks back (the third Friday on the trot – two or three MTBers were present) and consultations have been bouncing around. The proposed work has been scaled back considerably but a fair bit is still planned. Three responses were received back, including mine and a MTBer ecologist.

Waiting for Stirling Council who are now driving the process (ahem) to come up with the next steps.

I had a face-face yesterday with SPEN – who are contracting a contractor who are contracting MacGowan’s – where I said again that I am happy to accept what Bob Aitken comes up with, but do not trust MacGowan and that they must follow the spec and I want every inch of their work supervised.

SPEN also have ideas to help Dumyat going forward – adopting path maintenance etc but this is early stages – and full credit for their approach here.

Please email if you want more info – or come to the brewery on a Friday 🙂

StirlingCrispin
    madzaba

Hi,

Are there any Stirling locals who know what’s going on with the trails from the Monument on the Sheriffmuir Road? The track north from the Monument to the Gathering Stones has already been given the full motorway treatment (eight feet wide with mini-road roller up there today). The track that heads SW from the Monument (the one almost parallel to the road) looks like its being prepared for the same.

I’m more than happy to contact the Council / local councillor but I wanted to see if I could find out some more details first.

Thanks

seosamh77
    Free Member

Never seen this the first time, so have they killed it? Any detailed, recent pics of the area?

madzaba
    Fat-boy-fat

It’s just more of this ridiculous “upgrade” of the core path network in the area. I’ve contacted the council to no avail.

They’ve ruined this trail for no access reason that I can see. Access into the Gathering Stone … maybe but … down to Dykedale? Really?

My fear is the Wharry Burn is going to go the same way.

Viewing 24 posts - 201 through 224 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Dumyat. Another cracking descent gone….’ is closed to new replies.