Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)
  • Dumyat. Another cracking descent gone….
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Because of the rider/bike or the trail destruction?

The destruction, but yes, I was trying to avert my eyes from that Quadlink…. 😥 😆

All I’m saying is that there are some right dicks out on bikes on that hillside at times and maybe this’ll separate them from the folk that do respect each others enjoyment.

One of either 2 things happen, either no one rides it and a very good local descent is gone, or folk still ride it and there’s no room for walkers and riders.

Yes, We all agree on that, there are dicks everywhere. I can’t correlate your thought building a new ‘path’ that will be faster for the odd bellend, and put everyone on the same 4ft of hillside will be better for this.

poah
    Free Member

a11y – Member

It’s the first 400-500m of trail up from the access gate from the road, the top trail which veers up left just from the start. Doesn’t quite reach the plateau before the bog yet, but they’ve only just started Monday or yesterday and moved some distance already.

ah I don’t come down that way.

there was a belter of a Go-Pro vid on Scotland MTB FB page a month or so back where the poster got healthy abuse for terrorising kids on his way down

there are two videos from Dumyat on there, mine and the site’s owner. no kids where terrorised in either of those videos.

legend
    Free Member

there was a belter of a Go-Pro vid on Scotland MTB FB page a month or so back, where the poster got healthy abuse for terrorising kids on his way down

Good old Lorne – prize bell-end

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ah I don’t come down that way.

No, nobody does, the point is where they are going, ie the full hill.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Beagleboy – sorry to tell you but you are wrong on all counts if you think this is an improvement.

yetidave
    Free Member

whats main the issue here? is it that someone has made a scar on the landscape, or is it that some peoples enjoyment has been impacted on? The scar on the landscape issue is not relevant as the ever widening scar that ALL the users was causing was much worse than this. This looks shocking at the moment but once complete will erode a little and vegetate a little and fit in. If it had been left the ever widening scar would have led to loss of habitat and damage to the wetland and moorland ecosystems. The loss of enjoyment is surely only for one of the trail users (us). This will mean that my kids (wife) for one will enjoy walking up there more, so long as there is parking.. It will be no worse than the path up many other popular hills. Its a pitty that we have lost bits of a great decent, but there are others, there is a lot of Scotland which is just as good, which are not quite so busy with families and dogs on stupid long leads.

nickhit3
    Free Member

some peoples enjoyment has been impacted on

this is the root here. Well it was a root, now its a smooth path.

yetidave
    Free Member

Well it was a root, now its a smooth path.

😀 good for some, not good for others?

legend
    Free Member

there is a lot of Scotland which is just as good

If you’ve got suggestions of natural trails that are as good and within such easy reach then I’d love to hear about them

iainc

there was a belter of a Go-Pro vid on Scotland MTB FB page a month or so back, where the poster got healthy abuse for terrorising kids on his way down

Good old Lorne – prize bell-end

Aye, I think that was the one. There was a plethora of posts on it describing his behaviour along those lines I recall 🙂

poah
    Free Member

No, nobody does.

that’s why I didn’t recognise it

larrydavid
    Free Member

Until mountain bikers get organised and set up proper representative bodies then this sort of thing is going to keep happening (e.g. massive water bars/trail sanitisation in the Cairngorms).

I read one comment on Facebook on this asking for ‘consultation’ – but who would anyone consult with who could be seen as representative?

But then again MTBers would need to a) organise b) allow themselves to be organised c) stop expecting other people to do things for them including: taking their interests into account and; actually putting their hands in their deep pockets to support trail development – rather than asking the Government/Forestry Commission for hand outs.

dannyh
    Free Member

They won’t stop until the whole of the UK is flattened and tarmac’d over. The Tories will allow anyone to build houses anywhere as long as they’ve got loads of wonga and local councils seem determined to spunk their spare cash on sanitising every stretch of rural track to make it more ‘accessible’ with the hidden benefit of dealing with ‘problem’ mountain biking. Quite how all these ‘pressed’ public bodies find the cash for pointless crap like this is beyond me when they’re forever moaning about cuts.

Sod ’em. Ride it all now or it’ll be gone before you do!

rapiddescent

I was up dumyat last night and the photos don’t really show the horrific scale of the issue. They are using hundreds of tonnes of material for that path and it is at least 4 metres wide in places.

The new path/road is straight lining directly though natural crags and I can’t quite see how one of the lower steep sections will last more than a winter because it is nearly 16% grade and being covered in loose gravel. It *looks* like the road is going to divert to the north around the natural spring/bog in the middle and it will be interesting to see how it gets to the top.

Also note that they are building paths around Cocksburn reservoir to the west of Dumyat.

Someone was talking about the various trailbuilding efforts at the boggy section (was not me). It is a natural spring, it is also a peat bog so it can only be ridden over in the summer. I’d ask all riders to follow the trail that snakes to the right (coming down) contouring round the hill before rejoining the main path.

There is some 2 key positives though;

1: the new path will help walkers and less able riders stay in one place rather than widening the existing trails because they can’t ride it.

2: now they’ve provided loads of material, any loose material that erodes off the trail could be useful for improving other trails on dumyat.

rapiddescent

Just to add: we are from the same area where the Murray’s (tennis fame) are tarmacing over and building a golf course on another great set of trails.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Just to add: we are from the same area where the Murray’s (tennis fame) are tarmacing over and building a golf course on another great set of trails.

what a world we live in where a threat to our sport can be a sour faced tennis dynasty building a golf (?!) course.

ianbradbury

Until mountain bikers get organised and set up proper representative bodies then this sort of thing is going to keep happening (e.g. massive water bars/trail sanitisation in the Cairngorms).

This, very much this.

I read one comment on Facebook on this asking for ‘consultation’ – but who would anyone consult with who could be seen as representative?

Same thing up here – the CNPA seem keen to restrict access to “protect the capercaillie” – the Ramblers have an organisation speaking to them, but who speaks to them for mountain biking?

rapiddescent

building golf courses (a 6 hole golf course?!?) is a wheeze to get past the open access laws because golf courses have special dispensation in the act. It’ll never be played on; it;s essentially a land barrier for a development of 19 “luxury’ homes. There are also loose plans for a tennis academy; but the Murray’s want that to be “publically funded”.

molgrips
    Free Member

For a bit of balance – the council came and surfaced parts of a trail near me and it’s a massive improvement. They filled in what were basically big holes full of wet clay, and a trail that was unrideable is now decent.

Given how little money councils have I’m quite pleased.

nickhit3
    Free Member

If anyone knows Brimmond Hill in west Aberdeenshire, this used to have a brilliant washed out gully on the west facing side that was a riot to ride and where i cut my teeth when i started riding full suspension many moons ago. I still remember the horror of turning up after work one evening- after a 45 minute ride from the city centre, to find it completely flattened and filled in with a gravel path in its place virtually all the way to the summit. That was last time I ever rode there. I feel the OP’s pain.

larrydavid
    Free Member

And one more thing, whilst people are whining ‘it’s no fair’.

In Scotland, under the Community Empowerment Act, ‘communities of interest’ (which would include a MTBers if there was such a locally representative body) have a right to request participation in planning and decision making carried out by public public bodies.

That, in some cases, where it is public money/public land, would be a way of dealing with these issues and getting the needs of MTBers considered alongside other groups (land owners, ramblers, disability access, naturists naturalists etc.).

whitestone
    Free Member

@ianbradbury – I’ve said before that joining up with the British Mountaineering Council (or whatever they recently changed their name to) and the Scottish equivalent would get better visibility of mountain biking and associated requirements. A lot of climbers and ex-climbers are now cyclists at least some of the time.

It’d be a lot better than yet another small advocacy group that’s likely to get sidelined.

matt_outandabout

🙁

Worth pinging an email off to the local MSP? Probably futile I know but…..

It is, he’s a mountain biker and club member, surroundedbyhills, dickbarton and more coach his kids MTB… 🙂

Email sent….

matt_outandabout

Personally, I give it a wet winter until it’s back and rocking!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I dunno Matt, Looks very different form the sanitisation on the likes of walna scar – basically chucking hardcore on top of bedrock – that will eventually wash off.

This looks like it’s being dug into the hill.

For a bit of balance – the council came and surfaced parts of a trail near me and it’s a massive improvement. They filled in what were basically big holes full of wet clay, and a trail that was unrideable is now decent.

Given how little money councils have I’m quite pleased.

That’s not balance, that’s comparing what was a brilliant, rocky descent with your boggy hole. Nothing like each other.

legend
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

Hopefully, bit concerned about what they’ll do to deal with the rockiest parts above the fence though

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hopefully, bit concerned about what they’ll do to deal with the rockiest parts above the fence though

I can’t really see them doing anything on the bedrock sections Legend, more likely they’ll build above or blow and bypass them.

Hopefully.

rapiddescent

@Nobeerinthefridge – in deed, I’m hoping that they build to the north of the tourist path and build towards “thistles route”. How will get the digger up there?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

very sad to see this sort of thing happening, personally I think the rough/ruggedness of said tracks (wear and tear) adds to the experience for all concerned (unless its just a continuous bog of course)

has any one got any pics of it before? I have a vision of what I think it would look like in my head (never been anywhere near to ride it)

gwurk
    Free Member

looks like it’ll be way easier to climb and even better manual back down

Win win no?

You gnar shredding radsters can all manual your four thousand pound bicyles. right?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

has any one got any pics of it before?

There’s a stu thomson video of Danny Mac, Peaty et al riding it, have a google.

rapiddescent

The section we just lost had some small drop offs (only up to 2ft high) but they were tricky because landing zone was often pointy rocks and the route is pretty fast at that point.

* the plans are being sent to us today

* more as we hear about it.

legend
    Free Member

gwurk – Member

looks like it’ll be way easier to climb and even better manual back down

Win win no?

You gnar shredding radsters can all manual your four thousand pound bicyles. right?

That awkward time of day before everyone on Ridemonkey wakes up 😉

daern
    Free Member

In one of those really daft coincidences, I’ve just started reading this to my kids at bedtime:

This was a book that I first read when I was at primary school in the early 1980s and is one of my few remaining vestiges from a Scottish education. Seems very odd to see Dumyat mentioned as the top post on Singletrack on the following day. Hello to all of you from rainy Yorkshire 🙂

I’ve just had a quick look through the last few pages and it doesn’t mention Strava segments at all, so perhaps it needs an updated edition for the 21st century 😉

(ps. It’s a great book for young readers and is still well worth a read, 35 years after it was first released!)

a11y

Might as well laugh otherwise we’ll all cry:

(Credit/skillz: Barry MacPherson)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

(Credit/skillz: Barry MacPherson)

Haha! he’s just sent me that anaw!

matt_outandabout

Lol, cry, lol etc 🙁

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

The irony is rhe council put a post on facebook talking about Dumyat history on Monday…

Sad times indeed.

zippykona

It will be ok in a couple of years and then after that it will erode into a complete mess that’s no use to anyone.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Dumyat. Another cracking descent gone….’ is closed to new replies.