Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • dual ring chain suck
  • trusz
    Free Member

Does anyone else get terrible chain suck on a dual ring setup (with or without a guide DRS/stinger) or has found out how to solve it?

I run an XTR crank with the 22t ring and a 36t Middleburn slickshift hardcoat ring. Seems to happen mostly from shifting down from the 36 to 22 ring. The chain sticks on the 36t ring and sucks up over the swing arm. Don't want that!

beefy

found the same problem when i went to a double set up using a 36t 22 set up. No end of problems going from big to small. Went back to 32 22 and chain suck stopped. Could be too big a drop causing excess slack which flaps about and gets sucked up round granny ring.

trusz
    Free Member

You could be right. Looking at it, I think the chain derailled on the top of the 22t ring might be creating a tight angle with the chain still on the bottom of the 36t ring which might be causing the links to be grabbing on the teeth. Might try a 24t ring and see if that makes a difference. 32t would spin out a bit too much for me. 😕

alanf
    Free Member

I run a 24 36 set-up after switching from a triple where I used to get some chain suck. No issue so far with this set-up.

beefy

looks like we have stumbled across a solution. i need the low gears to make my pie powered legs shift my pie based heft around 😉

trusz
    Free Member

ok, solution…XTR chain! Recommended by a dude at mdiddleburn when I phoned up to discuss my problem. Kept the 22t ring on as well.

RealMan
    Free Member

Got terrible chainsuck from my 26 and 38 middleburn chainrings. slickshift and hardcoat.

Might try the xtr chain, been using connex 908 recently.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Take some links out your current chain so, when it's in 1st at the back and in the largest ring up front, the jockey wheels of the rear mech area are at 45 degrees.

its a chain tension thing, apparently.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘dual ring chain suck’ is closed to new replies.