Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • DT Swiss forks – service options
  • Waderider
    Free Member

My DT Swiss XMC130’s are well past their first 200 hour service interval, and suffered a failure* on a descent of the Devils Staircase weekend before last. I’m boxing them up and posting them off today.

I see on the DT Swiss website they recommend two service centres in the UK, one with Madison, one with Pace. Has anyone any comments or experiences they’d like to share so I know which one to pick? Thanks.

*A loud pop occurred under maximum compression and with the fork under a large load as it tried to throw me over the bars/the front wheel tried to roll over a rock that I didn’t quite miss. Think the same forced as riding into a wall, albeit at a relatively low speed, under max compression. Oil is now leaking from the rebound damping adjuster and part of the plastic leg top cap has broken off. Just so you know 🙂

cp

well, Pace used to make ’em, so I guess they know the internals 🙂

strike
    Free Member

Personally I would send the forks (via bikeshop) to Madison. In my experience (and this is my experience ONLY), I’ve never been impressed with Pace – they seem to do the minimum work for the max cash. I’m sure many will pop up now and say how great Pace are, but I am just speaking from my own experience.

The other thing is that, in my experience, Madison are cheaper on servicing, compared to Pace (certainly they are on the prices for servicing DT rear shocks).

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Seems like my question is a bit moot, as I have the forks boxed and want to take them the short walk to my local post office this morning. Thing is, Madison insist I travel miles to my local DT Swiss bike shop, which isn’t happening. Pace it is.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am not sure you will have any option. AFAIK Pace no longer service DT forks. I would be interested to know if they are, please report back.

strike
    Free Member

Madison are the UK agent for ALL DT products and are also the service centre for all DT products. However, Pace are also an appointed service centre who can (apparently) service all DT forks/shocks as well.

Also, as I understood it, ANY bikeshop with an account open with Madison, can send your forks off to Madison to be serviced. But I guess the ‘easiest’ option is to post them direct to Pace.

nixie

AFAIK Pace no longer service DT forks

They do still service DT forks. Just had mine done there. Much to my surprise they also didn’t say the CSU needed replacing despite a slight mark on it, and didn’t replace the bushings as they didn’t need it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That is interesting to know, thank you.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Pace are a **** joke they lost my DT Swiss shock and gave me a broken one in replacement. morons, the guy who owns it ruined a really good business due to the fact hes in a numpty. they literately couldn’t run a piss up in a off-license

Waderider
    Free Member

Lordy, coming back to this thread is a ‘shock’, given I have just posted my forks to Pace.

I may report back.

strike
    Free Member

Just keep in touch with them to check on progress etc. My gripes with them were sending a shock back to them for warranty work, but which also needed non-warranty work doing. When I called to ask where my shock was, they said I owed them money for parts used – ‘well, if you don’t tell me, how do I know to call and pay’!!! I wonder how long it would have sat there……..

Also I sent a shock back saying if a full service was required then CALL ME. Guess what, they tore the shock to bits so I had no choice but to pay them to service/rebuild it (despite them saying an inspection of the issue would not require this).

And no matter what the problem is, the cause is always ‘ingress of grit’…………..! Even in some cases where this clearly is NOT the case/cause!

wwaswas

(please note we do not look after warranty issues only service and repair)

http://www.pacecycles.com/?page_id=817#

Waderider
    Free Member

Strike, I read your post and immediately thought what wwaswas posted. Does not compute etc.

“Also I sent a shock back saying if a full service was required then CALL ME. Guess what, they tore the shock to bits so I had no choice but to pay them to service/rebuild it (despite them saying an inspection of the issue would not require this). “

I also happen to think you are in the wrong here. It’s not reasonable to expect any company that takes pride in their work and products to pull something apart and then expect them to reassemble it with faults. They can’t x-ray internals etc. If you can’t afford shock servicing have you considered a rigid bike, or doing it yourself? 😈

strike
    Free Member

Waderider:

I was told the problem would be able to be diagnosed WITHOUT tearing the shock apart – and to CALL ME if it was going to require that. I don’t expect anything for free, but in this case, I could have bought a new shock for not much more at the time, so it was going to be an uneconomical repair. So lets just get this straight – I never asked them to just go ahead and fix it – I said inspect it (as they agreed) and then if it requires a tear down, then call me.

It’s not a case of not wanting to pay – it’s a common-sense case of something be economical to repair or not. So thanks for your nicely put suggestion, but I’ll carry on riding FS but will also carry on making the call as to when it makes to pay someone to repair a shock or just buy a new one.

Waderider
    Free Member

As far as I’m concerned I’ll keep displaying Stockholm syndrome by proxy since Pace hold my forks virtual hostage.

Thanks for all comments.

Waderider
    Free Member

First mildly ominous sign – my forks arrived with them last Thursday, and as far as I was concerned they were booked in for a service last Friday.

Placed a call today to chase up non-show of forks, apparently it’s this Friday coming that the service is due, and in any case the service geezer is on holiday. So my forks are languishing in Dalby.

Still, it could be my mistake…….

Waderider
    Free Member

Sorry for the bump. An update for those who use the search button. Forks returned over a week ago and back in service – happy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss forks – service options’ is closed to new replies.