Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • DT Rim help needed
  • julesg007
    Free Member

Hi all, I'm in the market for a pair of rims and have been looking at getting a pair of DT's EX 5.1D. From a previous thread I've posted I've been led to believe they are a pretty decent, strong and don't dent as badly as other DT rims. I can also convert to tubeless.

I was, however, wondering how DT's XR 4.20 compare?

Thanks for the help

Jules

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Bit of guesswork here from my experience with 4.2's. Both are a bit softer than other rims, but very light. The 4.2's are narrower so more susceptible to dings, and they do flex a bit. Trashed my back one on a water bar a month back after 15 good service

I_Ache
    Free Member

Well if 5.1s are made of cheese then 4.2s are made from melting cheese. They are rubbish.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

would disagree with the last post, I've been using them for 2 years, and they have proved tough and a good rim, have had maybe two wobbles in that time that was no more or less than any other rim, both easily trued out.

Run mine tubeless with DT's own (excellent) kit.

I weigh over 17 stone too so am not excactly light on my kit.

Konastoner
    Free Member

5.1's made of cheese! are you mad?

Julesg007, the best bit of advice I can give is that get the wheels built up by a reputable wheel builder, which ever set you go for. All the strength of the wheel is in the build and not in the rim, a badly built or uneven tentioned wheel will soon break / dent or buckle regardless of make / model. I have been running 5.1's on 440FR hubs with DT Revolution spokes for 3 years now, Cwm Carn DH to Skyline any anything in between. I have not had to retrue them once, I only ever send them in to my LBS for tention check every 6 months or so.
    The 4.2's will be fine for Cross Mountain / Trail Centre use if built up well, just remember that tyre size will be more limited. If you go for factory built wheels get them retentioned befor any use and they should last.

julesg007
    Free Member

Evening all,

Thanks for all the varied advice.

Must admit I was drawn to the 5.1's from advice from a previous post (especially as I have FR440 hubs) but I have found a pair of 4.20's forI potentially the price as one 5.1 rim.

I am going to have my wheels made up at my LBS (Harry Rowlands) – he built me a set of road wheels many years ago they lasted ages (agreed a totally different kettle of fish).

I know a slight tangent (and not strictly on topic) but what recommendations for spokes and nipples.

Thanks again

Jules

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘DT Rim help needed’ is closed to new replies.