Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • DSLR advice sought
  • CaptainSlow

Id like some advice on DSLRs as I’d like to buy one for my wife.

I’m looking for something that has both great ease of use and auto settings for a novice and also the ability learn, experiment and take great pictures. I’d also like full HD video as well.

So far I’ve been looking at the Canon E650 and Nikon D3200. What is the STW weapon of choice and what should I be looking out for?

I’m looking at midrange (ish) as I don’t really want to have to upgrade in a few years. I’ve no existing lenses but hope to develop an assortment over the years.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If you don’t have any lenses, then just try both of them and see which you like the feel of most.

CHB

all slr’s are pretty good these days.
    I prefer Nikon, but you will find equally ardent devotees of Sony, Canon, Olympus and Pentax.

Depending on how much lenses you want to get you might be better off with the big two (Nikon/Canon) but the other brands also have a fair selection of kit lenses too.

Find one that feel natural to you and whos menu system you like.

I bought Nikon because I much prefered the build and layout of the D80 to the Canon 450 (or whatever the equivalent was in 2007).

I now have lots of Nikon kit so am wedded to the system with no regrets!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Nikon and Canon are pretty much on a par and you’ll not go wrong. I think you’ll find that as you work your way up the ranges that Nikon go the bells an whistles route at the expense of robustness, while Canon are somewhat more robust at the expense of features.
    Get one in the hand.
    Think about how/where you’re going to use it.
    I prefer Canon for the feel, ease of use and I do like the lenses.

footflaps

Have a read of this page: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Ken has a bit of a Nikon bias (well he reviews more of their kit than Canon). Generally the two makes are on a par, Canon tend to have slightly better specced bodies and Nikon have the edge on lens quality (this is both at the top end). Mid range, there’s nothing in it, just feel and layout of controls.

The D3200 gets cracking reviews, it would be my recommendation.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The new Canon 650D has been designed with video in mind and a couple of new lenses have gone on sale too

Not sure why they are better for video, not my thing, but the review I read mentioned it. So if that’s important the Canon would seem the better bet

Also think the Canon is higher end starter model if that makes any sense

Personally would buy the Pentax K30, weatherproof and better spec all round especially the viewfinder

molgrips
    Free Member

Canon and Nikon – good, but lots of hype.

Sony – loads of cool features, good value for moeny

Pentax – nice and compact and the cheapest weather-sealed camera available afaik. I’d love a sealed camera. Shower as you are out and about? No problems. Beach? No problem either.

I think the ‘other’ makes ie not Canon/Nikon have to try harder to get market share on the basis of innovative features, whereas the big two just pile their money into sensors and specs to try and get one over on each other and get the pixel peeping nerds to upgrade 🙂

If you have the cash though, I’d really recommend a look at an Olympus OM-D E-5. Beautiful, small, fully sealed, excellent quality, loads of features and just lovely. If it’s for your wife size would be a consideration I think – even I find some of the mid range Canon/Nikons tiring on my hands and I’m a “big strong” bloke.

EDIT: re video – I know the Oly E-PL2 and 3 have lenses tuned for video, so they autofocus silently in video mode. Not all cameras can do this. The OM-D by the way can apply its art effects (which are very cool) in real time to video footage and to the live view before you take stills.

CaptainSlow

Thanks for the input folks.

From my research (incl) Ken’s site I get the feeling I’m better off maybe going for something like the Nikon D5100 or Eos 550/600 and using a dedicated camcorder for the video due to speed of auto focus (amongst other things).

Will checkout the other options suggested as well.

There really isn’t much in it from what I can see from an equipment perspective – it’d be hard to pick a dud. It boils down to the person taking the shots so of I can, I’d like to keep it <£500.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dslr-advice

nothing to compare it to but my 550D is brilliant, and I didnt think the developments of the 600D (pull-out LCD screen) were worth the extra. Not read up on the 650D but the 550D is probably still available and possibly reduced?

Got our 550D thru Jessops online; they were cheaper than anywhere other than grey importers, went thru a cashback site, and ended up using their buy online, collect in store facility so got personal service from local shop.

stew1982
    Free Member

To be honest if you stick to Nikon or Canon you can’t really go wrong – the most basic DSLR from either are capable of producing stunning results.
    The camera body is less important than glass (lenses) – that’s where you make the investment.

Whichever you go for the one lens you should own that will give you superb images is a 50mm 1.8 – allows beautiful out of focus backgrounds – if you don’t know what that means, then your first priority is to have some lessons, as understanding the principles of Aperature/Shutter Speed and ISO are what allows an SLR to take great shots – using an SLR in Auto mode is a bit of a waste, you might aswell buy a compact (IMHO)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

using an SLR in Auto mode is a bit of a waste, you might aswell buy a compact (IMHO)

as a newbie I totally agree. Have sworn off the auto to get to know my camera. Canon has an ‘introductory’ setting of “creative auto” which allows you to change setting whilst describing them in plain english so you learn their effects

[

3bikeman
    Free Member

Recently bought a Nikon D3100 package from jessops – includes 2 lens, card and bag, really pleased with it – nice results easy to use

Dibbs
    Free Member

I looked at the D3100 (my daughter has one), D3200 (expensive at the moment because it’s new) and the D5100. In the end I went for the D5100 with the 18-105 lens and I’ve been pleased with the results so far and when I get round to reading the manual I expect it’ll be even better.
    I used this site to follow prices:-

http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat4.html

I ended up buying in Jessops, but not the accessories, even with the “bundle” they where way more expensive.

peajay

I got a 600d last year and while it is lovely to use and gives great results it doesn’t get used nearly as much as I hoped because it’s too big and a bit of a pain to carry around, I now wish that I had got a top end compact such as a G1x or s100, would get more use as it would be with me more, as for Nikon v Canon, just go for what you like best they are both good,
    PJ.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ken Rockwell is a self publicist cretin who comes out with drivel to generate click through’s for his website.
    Stop reading, start taking pictures.

Cougar

try both of them and see which you like the feel of most.

This. Both are largely comparable but “look and feel” varies widely.

Also, if any of your friends have kit, buying into the same system will allow you to borrow kit (if they’re aminable).

550D is brilliant, and I didnt think the developments of the 600D (pull-out LCD screen) were worth the extra.

Yeah. 550D to 600D is primarily “+ flip screen” and 600D to 650D is “+ videocamera.” Both nice to have but you pay a considerable premium for them.

CaptainSlow

Bought a 5100 with 18-105 lens today, wife very happy indeed! Thanks all 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Ken Rockwell is a self publicist cretin who comes out with drivel to generate click through’s for his website.

Agreed – half his reviews seem to have some variant of this sentence somewhere in the middle:

This might(not)be a great/crap piece of kit as I’ve not actually used it yet

Gweilo
    Free Member

Bit of a Canon addict myself. My only bits of advice:

Sigma lenses are well worth the money and in my opinion better than either Canon or Nikon.

And don’t buy anything from Jessops, they’re extraordinarily crap with atrocious customer service

zokes
    Free Member

Sigma lenses are well worth the money and in my opinion better than either Canon or Nikon.

You must be using different Canon lenses to the ones I use then. All the sigmas I’ve had the displeasure of owning or using have never seemed to work quite correctly. I’m yet to have a problem with any of my Canon lenses.

Gweilo
    Free Member

I never had an issue with the Canon lenses I just always found the Sigma’s generally better. Horses for courses I guess and other assorted cliche’s (not sure if that’s a stray apostrophe)

AlexSimon

I would probably get the 600D from the Ebay Canon outlet.
    They are guaranteed and most people report them coming sealed new (they have had a shed load of 600D in there over the last few weeks because of the launch of the 650D.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-600D-18-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-Lens-Refurbished-/290760493036?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item43b2ad07ec

That would leave some money for a spare battery, 50mm f/1.8 lens and a bag.
    Edit: oh and a nice book like http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0817439390

AlexSimon

BTW – regarding video.
    DSLRs aren’t really a replacement for a camcorder and vice versa.
    DSLRs are great at being mini movie cameras – which is a bit of a different ball game to camcorders.
    Have a read about the pros and cons of each.

Personally, a DSLR would be my video camera of choice.

+1 for Rockwell to be taken with a pinch of salt.

CaptainSlow

Been out with the camera today, I was even allowed a go!

On full auto it is a lot better than the TZ10 we were using, with some of the pre-programmed settings it was simply Awesome 🙂
    The context based help is proving useful.

I think I’ll get a book and a new lens on the Christmas list for her – something fixed lens and low light like a 35 f1.8 Thanks again for all the useful info

AlexSimon

oops – sorry missed the post where you said you bought a Nikon 5100.
    Enjoy!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘DSLR advice sought’ is closed to new replies.