• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lowey.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Drum Mountain – Any good
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Thinking of doing a loop including Drum mountain. Is it any good?

Cheers

tthew

When are you going? I’ll report back on Saturday evening as I’m going there this weekend!

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Yes, very good. Very fast descent.

888trojan888
    Free Member

In two weeks hopefully 🙂

oldejeans
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it. I parked at the Aber falls car park and hauled myself up. Cracking views as the cloud lifted. I wish I could say I cleaned it but some sections were just too steep. Nothing particularly technical on the way up.

then a very fast, long descent along doubletrack. Again nothing particularly technical but numerous drainage gulleys across the path need to be used or avoided.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah it’s ace, fast as ****. Have a look at the loop on the Edge Cycleworks site, it’s a monster but it’s bloody good. The views are amazing too if you get a good day.

carlos
    Free Member

Conwy Mountains and the Drum is one of my favourite natural rides.

We start over in Conwy itself and meander across the open moorlands, climb the Drum then its a blast back down the double track and onto the grassy descent that leads to the golf course. Watch out across the grass as the speed can get silly, especially when dodging sheep and around and about the chicane, not a lot of grip if its damp either and the bit near the bottom where the wall is can get quite muddy/boggy so staying in a straight line can be a challenge.

Amazing views from the top on a clear day and well worth the effort in getting up there. Loop in the Conwy Mountains too if you can, we tend to finish on them with a bit of cheeky 😉

Bunnyhop

I rode it several years ago with Binners and others of this Parish.

I was too knackered to ride to the very top as bad weather had set in (just on the top bit).

Views were amazing. Scary descent as you can get carried away and think this is easy. Loose gravel in places and slippery grass in others.

2 of the climbs were steep, as in very steep.

All good though.

Marin
    Free Member

Yes

tthew

Oh yeah, that was a good ride. We followed the Edge Cycleworks route as flyingmonekeycorps suggests. A word of warning though – it ain’t flat, the whole day was spent winching and plummeting. 5000ft of upness.

Took us 6 hours including a short break at the top of Drum Mountain, 3 punctures and couple of our number really flagging at the end. It’s well worth the slog up to Drum peak as the descent is awesome, though it was a little misty for the best views. And we were treated to a fly past from the Red Arrows early afternoon.

I’d been looking for options to extend it as I thought 24 miles would be cracked off by late lunch time. I’m bloody glad I didnt’ find any!

Stava thingy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

God yes and oh boy is it a fast descent

Hit just under 50 mph on that descent …cannot find the GPS photo but Lowey has it somwhere

chakaping
    Free Member

HT or FS best for this route?

Gonna be staying nearby in July so might give this a bash instead of driving to CyB.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

IMO FS is best, only for a few hundred metres but unless you are very light you could write-off a rear wheel on a HT coming down.

Back in the day at at the turn of last century you’d have ridden your HT up with your man-servant following on your FS then swap for the descent and tell him to walk the rough bits.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers. I’m gonna keep my man servant in my shorts I think.

🙂

tthew

…could write-off a rear wheel on a HT coming down.

On my Giant up there, by the time I got to the cross road at the path up/down there was tubeless jizz frothing out of 5 separate nicks in my back tyre. 2 wouldn’t seal so I had to put a tube in. Careful of the water bars!

lowey

A quality ride. Got the route from Vortex off here. Superb day out. The drop down from the old church to Rowan was brilliant.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/73v178]DSC02171[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

And yep it is fast…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/73zu9h]DSC02206[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7eDMiq]Drum Mountain[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Drum Mountain – Any good’ is closed to new replies.