Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Investigation finds drug use in Australian sport "widespread"
  • neninja
    Free Member

Scary stuff. I guess it explains why they do so well across so many sporting disciplines for a country with a smallish population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21363100

Which sports is the big question?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Radio report said Aussie rules and rugby union.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cricket, Rugby League, AFL, Union and anything else going….

Funded/Arranged by organised crime then linking to match fixing/leaning on players. Thing is I’d be surprised if it’s just here…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Quell surprise.

In other news, sun rises at usual time, and the weather forecast for Britain is rain.

konabunny
    Free Member

Scary stuff. I guess it explains why they do so well across so many sporting disciplines for a country with a smallish population.

You might be over egging it a bit – being wealthy and having massive public subsidy for sports goes a long way too. Plus this wave will only be connected to sports for which there is an active non-domestic gambling market.

A friend of mine moved from here to London and now works for an investigations firm that focuses on the European sports market.

MSP

I guess it explains why they do so well across so many sporting disciplines for a country with a smallish population.

Are you really so naive as to believe this is only happening in Aus? And I suppose last week it was only cycling. 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

I read primarliy aussie rules and league.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I read primarliy aussie rules and league.

I could be wrong, was in the car half listening.

neninja
    Free Member

Are you really so naive as to believe this is only happening in Aus?

No – my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

MSP

Ahh the Brisbane defence!

yossarian
    Free Member

dirty aussies 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

For a while one of the DDR doping experts that took up coaching jobs in various countries when the wall came down was head of coaching for the Australian cycling team. He was eventually pushed out as his name (which I’ve forgotten but Google will no doubt give you) became an embarrassment when Werner Frank’s report on DDR doping was published in Germany

bratty

null

Some more fallout for football….

bratty

Er not sure what’s wrong with my link, but er…..

seba560
    Free Member

kimbers

im not sure about the gambling connection

the pressure is on every sportsperson to perform a the top level

dieticians, doctors, physios, your mate at the gym are the likely sources of drugs even if they come via crime rings

and im certain its the same here too

bratty

Same here on STW? From some postings there is clear evidence of drug use, but I doubt it is of the performance enhancing type.

footflaps

Apparently Dan Staite emigrated there to take up performance coaching….

joao3v16
    Free Member

More importantly, why did the reporter decide to include the acronym “PIEDs”, with the full name in brackets, if neither were referred to again through the entire rest of the article?

a new form of PIEDs (performance and image enhancing drugs) known as

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Odd that Webbo didn’t find space to mention this in his Lance bashing article last week.

The aussie defence?

sputnik
    Free Member
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

No mention or connection with any famous Aussie cyclists I hope!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Investigation finds drug use in Australian sport "widespread"’ is closed to new replies.