Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Drop bars? Any good off road?
  • luked2
    Free Member

Inspired by threads here and elsewhere about drop bars off-road, I've fitted them to my bike (rigid single-speed, 29").

All is not well though.

I've got Midge bars, a hi-rise stem and Avid BB7s from the classifieds.

They're fine most of the time…. but going down a couple of reasonably bumpy descents I found that my hands started slipping backwards down the bars and away from the brake levers.

Is this normal? Do I just need better bar tape? Or should I just get some proper wide risers?

shermer75
    Free Member

Have you got any piccies?

wwaswas

h-h-h-h-a-a-a-a-n-n-n-n-g-g-g-g-g-g o-n t-t-t-t-t-ighter.

might get a bit bumpy though.

'proper' drop bars seem to be generally ok off road (other than making speech difficult) as you can wrap your hand aroudn the hoods on the brake levers.

debaser

Worked for Mr Tomac.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You just need John Tomac riding it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bollocks! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Riding a Yeti I believe… 🙂

dmiller
    Free Member

Strange I have never found that on my cross bike – but then my gloves have very grippy palms? Perhaps its a glove thing rather than a tape thing?

luked2
    Free Member

Mr Tomac has suspension forks (and a load more actual talent).

On my other rigid bike – which has riser bars – I hold the bars really loosely when descending bumpy stuff, so that I don't get shaken to pieces. Works fine. I can steer, brake and maintain consciousness all at the same time.

Seems like with drop bars I may have to choose two of those three.

(Pictures to follow).

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Inspired by threads here and elsewhere about drop bars off-road, I've fitted them to my bike (rigid single-speed, 29").

All is not well though.

Correct.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hang on a cotton-picking minute…29" wheels, drop bars, rigid forks, off road…er, cyclo-cross anyone? 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

If you tried that set of manitous now, you wouldn't call em suspension 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

Only one side has bar tape on at the moment, but it was the side with the bar tape where I was slipping towards oblivion!

Maybe I'm just inept….

maxray
    Free Member

mmmmm lush!

wwaswas

it's quite shiney bar tape – try something a little more 'suede'

tree-magnet
    Free Member

My eyes!!!

*fetches bleach*

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whaddya mean tree?

Looks just like your commuter to me.

luked2
    Free Member

So, even if I could make it work, I shouldn't ride it as it would be very hazardous having lots of other people laughing themselves stupid and collapsing in front of me?

rOcKeTdOg

skateboard grip tape? do you get a nosebleed holding the bars in that stem?

miketually
    Free Member

Have you sorted out the saddle angle?

Your bars might be a little high. I have the top of the bars a little lower than my saddle, I think. It also takes a while to get the angle of the bars right so you might need to experiment with that.

The drops on mine point much further down than yours, and my brake levers are further round the bar.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Whaddya mean tree?

Looks just like your commuter to me.

You know the answer to that one…

BigDummy
    Free Member

brake levers are further round the bar

I thought this when I saw the picture, and then I scrolled down and someone who knew what they were talking about thought the same. 🙂

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Use proper handlebars designed for off road riding.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Drop bars? Any good off road?(

IMO no, flats/risers are way better, however some still seem to like them, suspect not for the most gnarly of riding.

luked2
    Free Member

skateboard grip tape? do you get a nosebleed holding the bars in that stem?

I've now got some cork/gel tape on order from CRC. That might help. Not noticed the nose bleeds.

@miketually – the saddle angle feels fine; I think my photo has a somewhat skewed perspective on it. The tips of the drops are about an inch below the saddle.

When you say further round- do you mean towards or away from the tips?

miketually
    Free Member

The tips of the drops are about an inch below the saddle.

That sounds far too high to me; the top of my bars are about level with the saddle.

When you say further round- do you mean towards or away from the tips?

Further from the stem.

miketually
    Free Member

I am about to post photos of my drop bar bike. These are not for the faint-hearted. If you've just eaten, look away now.

You were warned…

The bars aren't as high as they look in this shot, but it gives a good viw of the bar angle and lever position:

This probably best shows the bar height:

oldgit
    Free Member

Salsa Bell Laps are pretty good.

Those bars above..how on earth do you ride on the hoods? And is there any real point in having any kind of drop bar if they are going to be higher than the saddle?
    Edit; If youre using those bars then I'm not surprised youre slipping as the ends pont downward. Off road you want your hands to fall into the bars.
    Imagine hanging from a vertical bar and how hard that would be compared to a horizontal bar.
    Edit again! what about TT levers just an idea I'm throwing in?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The bars aren't as high as they look in this shot,

Eh? It's leant against a wall so you can see the height of the bars and saddle relative to the pointing!

What olgit said – they're just like Marys etc with more sweep.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Funnily enough, the only MTB (I use the term loosely) I've tried with drops was also a Singular – Sam's own one, which I think had WTB dirt drops on. It felt surprisingly "right" in the drops – very secure. I suspect if your hands are slipping down the bar, then I would think that it's a bar angle issue – surely you'd end up slipping further forward into the bend?

Anyway, for my riding style and purposes, not something I've a desperate desire to pursue, but each to their own.

luked2
    Free Member

Another picture, slightly better angle.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try pointing the tips up a bit more, and some grippier padding.

chris_n
    Free Member

Just spend a bit of time experimenting with the height and angle of the drops and brake levers. The centre of the stem clamp on my midged Inbred is about an inch above the top of the saddle and the drops point to somewhere above the rear wheel. No problem with slipping off the hooks yet.

tracknicko
    Free Member

you're all dirty perverts.

why not just get a cx bike? surely it would be a cheaper build for a similar ride?

miketually
    Free Member

Those bars above..how on earth do you ride on the hoods?

I don't. I ride in the drops 🙂

And is there any real point in having any kind of drop bar if they are going to be higher than the saddle?

The drops are below the saddle.

miketually
    Free Member

Eh? It's leant against a wall so you can see the height of the bars and saddle relative to the pointing!

It's a curved wall… 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

I must ask and probably offend, but is there any point with those drop bar set ups?
    All seem to have loads of stack and rise, and the levers look more than awkward to use. Couldn't you do away with all that and have a set of flats.
    And here goes 😐 it looks like the bikes have been set up to fit the bars at all costs.

tron
    Free Member

Turn the bars in the stem (rotate clockwise when looking at the bike from the driveside), try better bar tape. I'm not sure I see the point of those bars though – maes bars have enough "hook" on the bottom that there's no way your hands are going to slide round.

luked2
    Free Member

oldgit – the stack and rise is there to try to get the drops at the same height as proper bars. If you had a frame designed for drop bars, it would look a bit more sensible.

The levers, at least to me, don't seem any more or less awkward than regular flat-bar levers.

EDIT: not offended though…

Padowan
    Free Member

luked2 – you're wrapping your bar tape the wrong way I think. You should wrap from the bottom of the bar towards the centre – that way your weight on the bar has a tendency to flatten the tape rather than rolling it off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Drop bars? Any good off road?’ is closed to new replies.