Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Driver grabbed my handlebars on way into work!!
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Was riding into work early this morning when some idiot driver took exception to me being on the road at the same time as him. Instead of just driving round me or being patient for a few seconds (3 lanes so plenty of room) he decided to come up on the inside of me, yell at me then grab my bars and try to slam me into the side of his car then drive off still holding them!!!
    Was pretty shook up so pulled off to the side of the road then called the police, who are treating it as an attempted assault. Got to give a statement at the station on the way home.

Still a bit shaken up but more angry at him, why do people do this!! Aarrggh!! Might take the car tomorrow 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why do people do this!!

tiny genitalia, it’s the only explanation

lowey

That must have been bloody scary. What a total tool. Glad you ok mate.

hatter

It does beggar belief, the sheer irrational rage that affects people behind the wheel is terrifying and utterly out of character in most cases.

In the circumstances it hasn’t turned out that badly, you’re not hurt and the plod appear to be taking it seriously, I know I’d still be fuming if I were you though.

Good luck and keep riding.

Lifer
    Free Member

😯

Yeah glad you’re okay and hope the police get him

piemonster

What did the rozzers say fella might be known to them already?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did you get his registration?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hold much hope on the Police getting a result but so long as you’re okay that is the main thing. If it happens again don’t forget to use his mirrors for balance, shame if they fall off in doing so.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

utterly out of character in most cases.

It’s not though is it, the car doesn’t change you just like drink doesn’t. They do it ‘cos they think they’re safe, it’s just bringing out their natural character that they’re too scared to display in public as most would get a hiding.

Hope all goes well at the police station for the OP and they find the idiot and remove him from the roads.

spacemonkey

Reg and CCTV?

kimbers

bet he follows clarkson on twitter

I really hope they catch the **** keep us updated

cranberry
    Free Member

It’s not though is it, the car doesn’t change you just like drink doesn’t. They do it ‘cos they think they’re safe, it’s just bringing out their natural character that they’re too scared to display in public as most would get a hiding.

+1

It is also I think very little to do with car and bike, more likely to be outside factors such as stress and unhappiness in their wider lives that bubble up to the surface when people are all alone in a little metal box/riding through traffic.

Pigface
    Free Member

Wow that is a very scary story, glad you are ok.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Glad you’re ok, lucky you didnt come off.

Sounds like he’s got his just desserts now you’ve fingered him. Hopefully the authorities will give him something to think about aswell

thegreatape
    Free Member

Glad you’re ok, lucky you didnt come off.

Sounds like he’s got his just desserts now you’ve fingered him. Hopefully the authorities will give him something to think about.

Vigilantism should be discouraged though.

milky1980
    Free Member

Got the reg and make of car, area is crawling with CCTV cameras as it was right by Cardiff prison!! Hopefully get a result as the reg checks out fine.

Still a bit shaken, won’t let it go as the guy is a typical boy racer. Needs to be taught a lesson actions have consequences.

tops5
    Free Member

transactions have consequences.

You’re so right I made a transaction last week and some brake pads turned up a couple of days later! 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Actual rather than attempted, shirley?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think you can phone the DVLA and get his details for insurance purpouses if you’ve got his reg number, after all your bar ends of grips must have been scuffed, or maybe your shorts caught on his door. It would be a shame if he was forced to make a claim for some £15 bar ends and lose his NCD wouldn’t it?

CPS’s decision what he’s ultimately charged with based on what they think has the likelyest outcome of sucess. The police just gather the evidence and arrest them.

wrightyson
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOudZG_Bo4[/video]
    Milky earlier today!
    Not funny I know but the first thing that came into my head 😳

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

What’s the betting he gets nothing more than a verbal warning?

Katie phoned me yesterday to say she’d had a scarily close call with someone who didn’t even slow down for a mini-roundabout and screeched to a halt 30cm from t-boning her.

Then this morning we had to bail to the side of the road as we heard someone screaming up to overtake in second gear with a car coming the other way.

chambord
    Free Member

😯 I do read some horror stories on this forum – not had so much bad luck myself (yet?) on my commute.

Hope your ok OP, and you get a good result with the police.

billyboy
    Free Member

Someone passed too close to me at 7pm on Uxbridge Road near Stanmore last Saturday and bashed their wing mirror into my handlebar sending me into spasms. I’ve got seven bright LEDs out back, including one extra bright one, and there was nobody else coming the other way, so you have to wonder WHY???????

I handed off their roof to stay upright and then had a couple of severe wobbles as I was spat out the back before I regained control. Luckily there was no car close up behind them or I would’ve been in trouble.

I was looking at the back of my bike to see what else I could do to cater for idiots like this one, but the bike already looks like an illuminated flashing Christmas tree.

I didn’t get the registration as I was too busy trying to stay upright and they didn’t stop, which was probably a good thing because I was very angry.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

you need to appear wider. I can’t see myself ever fitting one but these are meant to be surprisingly effective.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

i’d worry about it catching on lampposts.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Hopefully they nick him.
    Milky, try not to let it put you off riding though. Then the **** really will win.

Shaun20
    Free Member

If you know the make of car it may be that he uses the same route everyday….keep your eyes peeled and you might get his reg.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

dude thats an amazing tail and glad youre ok. Well done for calling the cops.

one question, how did he get on the inside of you? were the lanes dividing and one going left giving him space to do it? the highway code says about a metre off the curb, not a whole lane! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

General tip:

If you have to pull out from the gutter at any point – taking the lane, changing lanes, or being in a different lane – make eye contact. Helps loads.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

wow, glad you’re ok! I’m not sure how the law works where you are at but here in the US that IS assault, with attempted battery (as evident by the grabbing and trying to cause bodily harm). If you got the guys car/plates I’d be taking this as far as I could go. Like I said tho, very glad the outcome wasn’t worse!

bails

+1
    Don’t let the police fob you off with “you weren’t hurt so we can’t do anything”. Assault means causing someone to believe that they’re going to be on the receiving end of the “immediate infliction of unlawful force”. Which you surely did.

An assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force.

Actually causing that harm then moves into wounding, ABH, GBH etc.

the highway code says about a metre off the curb, not a whole lane!

What rule number is that? From here: https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highway-code

D0NK

Leaning out of the car to grab/injure someone seems a big step up from the isolation/insulation bobbins a lot of drivers seem to suffer. Sounds like proper aggressive nutter behaviour

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What’s the betting he gets nothing more than a verbal warning?

sadly true, but of the cops turn up at his house and deliver it in front of his wife and kids and he then has to explain to them, he might, just maybe, think about what a tool he’s been.
    maybe.

toby1

molgrips – Member

General tip:

If you have to pull out from the gutter at any point – taking the lane, changing lanes, or being in a different lane – make eye contact. Helps loads.

I get that you qualified that as a general tip but as the guy was holding his bars at the time it would have been difficult to maintain eye contact!

OP – well done for not spilling, I’m impressive with your stability, I reckon I’d have ended up on the road.

I’d imagine he either had someone in the car he was showing off too – or had a fight with someone before driving.

However, if you see him again be sure to publicise his details, then everyone that sees the car can check the wing mirrors for stability as we never know when we might have to use them.

milky1980
    Free Member

He was on the inside of me as the road splits there, the two right hand lanes go into town where the left lane filters of left towards Tue bay, where he was heading. All well marked out. He deliberately moved from his lane towards me to grab the bars, putting him on a direct collision with the railings a bit further on, presumably wanted to drag me into them 8O.

Will not ride in tomorrow just to be on the safe side, normal service will resume next week though. Can’t let the buggers win!!

Still don’t know how I stayed upright, all those skinny log runs must have helped! Will make it clear to the police this evening that I won’t be backing down on this. Too many stories of near misses and deaths over the last few months/days. It’s my first bad encounter on the roads, strange how I wasn’t scared at the time but a minute after I was shaking like hell!!

serrature
    Free Member

That is mad.
    Glad you’re ok and MAKE SURE you go to the cops and make the statement – that guy needs to be off the roads

trevh
    Free Member

shame you didnt strike hard down on his wrist breaking it given the chance. although dangerous for you and you would have been the one in trouble

ads678

shame you didnt strike hard down on his wrist breaking it given the chance. although dangerous for you and you would have been the one in trouble

Surely that would have been self defense?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

shame you didnt strike hard down on his wrist breaking it

While he holds your bars? Not a great plan, is it?

Calm down Rambo; going to Plod is best.

gordimhor

Very scary story op. Good luck with the police, they need to get this guy off the road and into court.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Driver grabbed my handlebars on way into work!!’ is closed to new replies.