Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Driver grabbed my handlebars on way into work!!
  • aracer
    Free Member

There is something in this I think.

A story I’ve told several times on here: we were touring in France (on a tandem) when one car gets far too close – not surprised to note the GB plates. Caught up in the traffic jam heading into the next town, knocked on the window and when it was wound down I said ever so politely “Sometimes I’m ashamed to be British. You should watch how all the French cars overtake cyclists and think about giving them that much space”. Bloke said nothing, I rode off. Bloke driving, wife and kids in the car – expression on wife’s face suggested he was going to get the telling off I didn’t give him – I like to think that’s somebody I educated.

edlong
    Free Member

General tip:

If you have to pull out from the gutter at any point – taking the lane, changing lanes, or being in a different lane – make eye contact. then you need to modify your road positioning – don’t ride in the gutter. Helps loads.

FTFY

nwilko
    Free Member

Glad your ok,
    i havent read any post but the OP’s – however i expect >50% of the posts have already blamed you for the incident. 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    milky1980
    Free Member

Full statement made to the police. They are taking it seriously as there have been a rise in cycle-related incidents recently and they want to avoid any fatalities.

Will keep chasing it up to see what results from it all.

aracer
    Free Member

Good. Let’s hope they continue to be interested.

northernmatt

Blimey mate, just clocked this one. Glad you’re okay. In your shoes I’d do the same regarding taking the car, if he thinks he got away with it he may try the same tomorrow if he finds himself in the same position.

butcher

That’s mad.

garage-dweller

Sorry about your experience op.

Hoping for a bad result for the driver!

samuri
    Free Member

yeah. Nasty stuff. Hope they do something serious about this and get the message out there. Glad you’re ok.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

that is terrifying, i ‘excuse’ a lot of bad behaviour from drivers as a lack of awareness, but this kind of thing is something much much more sinister.
    im glad your not seriously hurt, i bet you’re shook up though. maybe modify your route until the police take his licence away?

anagallis_arvensis

Riding in to work yesterday on my motorbike. Stop at some lights. Coming other way a car changes lane making a van brake. Old bloke in car puts hand up to say sorry. When car stops vans passenger jumps out and runs to car window and starts throwing punches at the old fella. Took me a while to untangle the side stand and get between them. No one else did a thing to help this poor old boy. Shocking what people will do and others see as normal. Van driver said he deserved as he almost caused an accident. FFS whats wrong with people?
    Police said they would only look into it if the victim came forward. When I asked if thats how tbey dealt with murder cases too the conversation soured. I gave them the vans reg but they dont wont to know. **** ****.

saxabar
    Free Member

I used to live in Adamsdown so know that junction well. Nothing more to add, but glad you’re OK!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Police said they would only look into it if the victim came forward. When I asked if thats how tbey dealt with murder cases too the conversation soured.

Nice response. Wish I’d used that when they refused to investigate a hit and run I witnessed in London where the victim was ‘too scared’ to go to the police.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you have to pull out from the gutter at any point – taking the lane, changing lanes, or being in a different lane – make eye contact. then you need to modify your road positioning – don’t ride in the gutter. Helps loads.

By ‘gutter’ I meant the usual 2-3ft from the kerb. I don’t ride any further out than that normally, because I don’t want to obstruct drivers needlessly. I only pull out when it’s needed, which is the usual STW position on the matter I believe.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Wow what a prick, hope they do throw the book at him. Most of all, glad you are unharmed OP.

I once had a kid grab my handlebars when I was cycling past a car in Melbourne, scary and unpleasant experience. I don’t understand why cyclist abuse is considered fair game.

edlong
    Free Member

@molgrips

Apologies for taking you too literally, the gutter riding thing is a bugbear of mine and I reacted a little harshly on reflection!

It’s worth being clear though, as there’s plenty of cyclists I see who don’t make it easy for themselves by riding literally in the gutter, which not only means they’re riding over all the detritus that ends up there and the drain covers etc. but also invites drivers to “squeeze through” for overtakes where there really isn’t enough space, and furthermore the rider who’s already in the gutter hasn’t got anywhere further to go to get out of the way (other than bunny hopping on the pavement).

Even more annoying for the rest of us, the gutter riders create an expectation in at least some drivers that that is where the cylists should be and they then get arsey (or worse) at those of us who ride in a more sensible road position. Like that Clarkson moron.

In summary: riding in the gutter annoys me a lot!

milky1980
    Free Member

Just had an answer phone message off the police.

He’s admitted the offence and has been cautioned. No further action will be taken as he came in on his own accord. Sounds like he’s learnt a lesson at least!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well that’s a bit crap – a caution for that?

thorpie
    Free Member

If it was his first offence, caution will always be the outcome.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

bet he follows clarkson on twitter

What a stupid remark.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Ok, I bet he doesn’t follow Clarkson on twitter.

crankboy
    Free Member

it was his first offence, caution will always be the outcome?

Make sure your first offence is murder or robbery then. I am surprised that a roadrage with use of a vehicle and dangerous driving resulted in a caution. I personally would want to take this further and would write to the superintendent asking for a written explanation of the decision to caution.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you had been representing this motorist, would you have pushed for, suggested or enquired of the police as to his eligibility for a caution, or objected if they had suggested it?

crankboy
    Free Member

Thegreatape I would have argued for it and if charged asked the Cps to review it and if unsuccessful taken any legitimate Argument consistent with my clients instructions.

That’s not purely theoretical been there done that but told the client a on the facts he was guilty b I was a cyclist and he may want a more objective advocate. I won mode of trial for him . He sacked me got another lawyer and lost spectacularly.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I was looking at the back of my bike to see what else I could do to cater for idiots like this one, but the bike already looks like an illuminated flashing Christmas tree.

This is a common mistake people make about people driving badly must not have seen the cyclist. Its is nothing to do with visibility. Once you have one good rear light that chances of not being seen from behind are pretty small, when have you had problems seeing a traffic light? If you have two, both at different levels, the chances are pretty much zero. Its all down to driver attitude.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks.

sideshow
    Free Member

Milky you should press charges mate. I don’t see how trying to make a cyclist crash in moving traffic is anything short of attempted murder. Like that bus driver in Bristol how he got off so lightly I don’t know.

Maybe Cardiff is getting worse like they say. I have for the most part found drivers here to be pretty reasonable but only this week had a very close call with a guy who ran a yellow light at speed to cut in front of me turning left. I might not be here ranting if I’d not slammed the brakes on. Wish I got his number.

milky1980
    Free Member

From what the officer I spoke to this is the only real outcome from the evidence they have available. I will run it past a lawyer friend to make sure it’s correct but I’m reasonably satisfied he has learnt not to do something like this in the future.

As aracer said further back, education is the way forward. If he changes his friends’ driving attitudes too that will make the roads safer for everyone.

granny_ring

Not sure I’d be happy knowing the driver just got a caution as it was a deliberate & dangerous act……but it’s your call OP, glad you managed not to crash!!

footflaps

Well at least it can be used in court as evidence of bad character next time, even though it’s not a criminal conviction.

brooess
    Free Member

OP: glad you’re ok.

But acts of aggression like that are NOT unintentional, so I don’t think

I’m reasonably satisfied he has learnt not to do something like this in the future.

is likely…

The instructor at the speed awareness course I went on 3 years ago advised when getting tailgated or facing other types of aggressive driving, just pull over/get away – that type of aggression was there when they got out of bed that morning and we’re just the target for that aggression.

I doubt the guy who attacked you will be sitting at home going “gosh, I’ve learnt today that I shouldn’t grab a cyclist and try and pull him off his bike”

aracer
    Free Member

What was he given a caution for? I wasn’t aware that was the normal action with assault, first offence or not (though I’m not a lawyer and have no experience of this sort of thing, so could be talking a load of rubbish). Or was he not actually charged with assault for something which clearly was?

BigJohn

The police can’t take a case any further unless they are confident they can secure a conviction. If it’s “my word against yours” then it’s only 50:50.

m0rk
    Free Member

How can an admission not be evidence?

Surely you have evidence, he’s given his admission – job jobbed, CPS’s job half done

crankboy
    Free Member

Yep the caution can only follow an unequivocal admission of guilt so it’s your word and his against nothing.

skids
    Free Member

you need a good detective on the case mate, get them to cop to it, might be able to squeeze a confession out of the perp

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – I’m glad that you’re ok. But what he did was intentional; I’d press charges!

IMO, the motorist probably didn’t go to the cops because of a guilty conscience; he did so out of self preservation. Get his name and look into his background a little.

I’m American, and many professionals here belong to some sort of professional organization or are regulated by some start body. I assume that its the same in the UK. Lawyers belong to the Bar Association, Engineers would be licensed by a state professional board. Other professions have similar bodies. And none of them look highly on poor conduct (such as assault) by their members!

If the motorist belongs to one of these organizations, file a complaint with them. A written statement from you and a copy of documentation from the Police that he admitted to it would be all that you should need. He’ll have to respond, and there’s a good chance that they’ll suspend his membership or put him on some sort of probation for a period of time. That will remain with him a little longer than some stern words from a cop!

Remember, his intentional actions could have killed you!

molgrips
    Free Member

Apologies for taking you too literally, the gutter riding thing is a bugbear of mine and I reacted a little harshly on reflection!

No, you were quite right – lazy typing on my part.

Eye-contact is a miraculous thing though, very important when cycling in traffic!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Or was he not actually charged with assault for something which clearly was?

He wasn’t charged, I don’t think it was assault either.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Driver grabbed my handlebars on way into work!!’ is closed to new replies.