• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • downtube protection
  • adrec
    Free Member

I took my giant trance out yesterday and the downtubes taken a battering from rocks flying up from the front wheel, I don’t think the frames a write off, but I’m keen to avoid any further damage to the area. I’m thinking it needs a bit more than the usual frame tape, some sort of hard plastic device made specifically for the frame would be ideal. Anyone know whether such a thing exists?

endurogangster
    Free Member

Check out rockguardz on eBay, they do carbon bash plates for a few frames that just clip on your down tube, trance is fairly common so should be able to get one, if not they’ll do you a custom one if you can get your bike to them.

^ beat me to it!

Andy

Old tyre zip tied to downtube works as well as anything

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I don’t see how a tyre will stop rocks denting the frame? Maybe pebbles and wee stones won’t chip the paint, but I’m sure we’re talking about fist-sized denters here!

Maybe you can put a strip of something under it first?

mooman
    Free Member

Common problem. The dent will usually be an inch or two from the bottom bracket … thats where it had my ellsworth epiphanys anyways!

Just zip tie a piece of angle alu or angle plastic to cover the bottom 5-6inches from bottom bracket. The angle will deflect any stones coming up.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    I don’t see how a tyre will stop rocks denting the frame? Maybe pebbles and wee stones won’t chip the paint, but I’m sure we’re talking about fist-sized denters here!

Maybe you can put a strip of something under it first?

Well if it’s rocks that are big enough to dent the downtube through an old tyre, then they’d make pretty short work of a carbon protector

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tyre if your that bothered frame tape otherwise.

adrec
    Free Member

That carbon fibre rockguardz thingy looks lovely. Will be gettin myself one of those!

Holyzeus
    Free Member

It was last year i looked into them guards, consensus was the fit wasn’t always great so i didn’t bother. Check the feedback

PaulD
    Free Member

Mousemat zipped to the tube works perfectly on a titanium frame of mine.

Mousemat has the neoprene base under a hard polymer skin.

I fitted it with the hard skin outwards.

Cost nearly zero.

PaulD

Potdog
    Free Member

We use a chunk of tyre zip tied to the downtube, You’d be surprised at the damage they stop as the rubber absorbs a lot of the impact. Give it a try, either way it will stop some of the damage and you may well be pleasantly surprised. We were and we get some pretty big rocks flicked up, believe me!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’d seen those Rockguardz too – anyone actually got one?

adrec
    Free Member

As long as you can physically get the thing on you can always zip tie it to death to keep it on

monogramman
    Free Member

I have a rockguard and very nearly sent it back upon arrival.

I have pics somewhere but the quality and finish is poor. It fits on to the frame (just) but is 1 layer of carbon, twisted, and not cut to shape symetrically.

A few friends I have shown said to return it, but I thought if it was going to be hit by rocks then it’s better to use it than not. If it smashes off I will not replace it certainly not at over £30

mbarnes
    Free Member

I just helitaped my new frame yesterday, don’t think I’ll go as extreme as carbon fibre sheets

JoeG
    Free Member

Zefal make a universal one.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘downtube protection’ is closed to new replies.