Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Down's syndrome jokes
  • Northwind

I'd like to hear the jokes to decide if they were actually funny…

See, now this is how you do jokes about the mentally handicapped…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifr4zLZ9lvM

nicolaisam
    Free Member

He is a very funny man.
    Just watched him this evening at Plymouth Pavilions.

tankslapper
    Free Member

WHY is this thread not CLOSED?

There seems to be far less innocuous threads closed!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

And in the blue corner weighing in at 87 kilos we have……

Dappa Daaaaannnn Syndrome!

And his opponent tonight… in the yellow shorts, coming off the back of 15 defeats……

Sir Terrible Paaaalllsy!

Merak

He's making a very good living, plagiarising the material Jerry Sadowitz has been peddling for the last ten years.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just an idea Slapper………..but perhaps no one's complained ?

Why don't you do it ?

samuri
    Free Member

Sorry, just to try and make the point a bit more obvious.,.. This isthe quote from the woman in question….

""We had obviously heard him making fun of other people, but quite often his humour appears to be clever humour or making a point about something.

"OK, he can be cutting, but he will often be using his humour to make a point, whereas the type of jokes he was making about people with Down's syndrome I don't see there was any point being made."

So she agrees that he's quite a cutting comedian and he really takes the mickey out of subsets of people. Anyone who has watched mock the week will know this. He's not afraid to pick on a group of people based on any criteria.

Now she goes to watch him on this basis. When he was taking the piss out of blacks and gays and terrorists it was freaking hillarious. Those guys just set themselves up for it.

Now he takes the mickey out of disabled people.

THAT IS NOT FUNNY!!!!

piss off.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I think he's funny on MTW, etc, but having seen him live, think he just goes out of his way to shock. My little lad has learning disabilities, but rather than complain to the mods, I'll just say to the people on this thread that have insisted on churning out the crap juvenile jokes that you're a bunch of tossers.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Agreed Samuri.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the people on this thread that have insisted on churning out the crap juvenile jokes

Bollox……..now I'm going to have to slowly scroll down this thread to find all the crap juvenile jokes that I've missed 😐

Bez

Sorry, just to try and make the point a bit more obvious.,..

The point about hypocrisy is already obvious but you assume she was finding all the other parts of his stage show funny (I certainly didn't find much of it funny at all yet I've laughed out loud many times at his MTW material). What's more, regarding the second paragraph you quote, it's perfectly possible to take the view that any subject matter is up for grabs if you're using it as a device to make people laugh at something that deserves ridicule, but that certain subjects aren't if what you're ridiculing is that subject itself. In absence of more facts I don't see her opinions as necessarily hypocritical or biased. Maybe they are, maybe they're not.

But again I think the main issue underpins people's reactions and defensiveness rather than the joke itself. We all laugh at things we find funny and we naturally do it before we give thought to the underlying facts. But if and when you laugh at people with Downs or any disability or whatever, you have to ask yourself whether you're morally comfortable with laughing at that. And when you go to a Frankie Boyle gig you have to ask yourself whether you're happy with having paid someone to stand in front of 1000 people and ask them to laugh at people with Downs. And the only way I'd feel comfortable with that is if the purpose of doing so is to make the people who think that's ok feel uncomfortable. But that's not really the case. As the quote says, jokes which make a point are not objectionable, but jokes which use people's disabilities for cheap playground malice are.

user-removed
    Free Member

How do you crucify a spastic?

On a swastika.

My wife pointed out earlier that most groups he takes the mick out of are able to defend themselves – DS kids aren't in this position, therefore she wouldn't find jokes of this nature funny. However, if I'd taken her to the gig, she would have laughed along with the rest of them – it's human nature to follow the crowd innit.

And the above is my favourite joke 🙂 And two of my cousins are ginger, jey, spazzers so it's OK.

el_boufador

+1 bez.
    Don't know how any of the nobbers can differ from that reasoning.

Bez

a swastika … it's human nature to follow the crowd innit

Milgram Experiment, anyone?

user-removed
    Free Member

But did you laugh?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Frankie Boyle stand up/live on channel 4 now.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Pfft. CSI's on. Much more funny!

Stoner
    Free Member

any mong gags?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of course.

Stoner
    Free Member

good. My late aunt will be pleased 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Enjoyed his live show.

Not commenting on the jokes in question cos we don't know what they were.

Houns

THE Most offensive joke ever

NSFW or anything else – You've been warned – Don't click if you're a sensitive little petal

My favourite version of "The Aristocrats"

samuri
    Free Member

I agree entirely bez, however, that isn't the point.
    I'm not defending Frankie Boyle.

The woman found a clearly offensive comedian funny so she went and watched him knowing he picked on easy (if you like) targets who can't defend themselves in a similar manner. The chances of him picking on a disabled minority are fairly high, what with it being a standard approach for him to take.

Right, now it's not nice.

She's a bit daft if you ask me and being offended by someone has no relation to whether you have a disabled child or not.

"you're offensive to lots of people and I laugh my ass off when you do it becaus you upset them all but when you're offensive in a way that I feel affects me it's not funny at all". She's a hypocrite.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

She's a hypocrite.

Agreed

hora
    Free Member

I've not heard or seen the jokes however 'down syndrome jokes' to me would be funny to people who don't have or experienced Down Syndrome children or are mentally immature.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I've not heard or seen the jokes however 'down syndrome jokes' to me would be funny to people who don't have or experienced Down Syndrome children or are mentally immature.

So is any kind of humour directed at a group of people not funny or just that directed at people with Down's?

duckman

So how come Frankie Boyle is cutting edge and Bernard Manning isn't? Good point above from Bez about not being able to defend yourself.I seem to remember Boyle getting stuck into one of the Olympic swimmers last year.
    Not as good as Shadowitz,got up on stage in Dundee and told us that you could invent a new flavour of pot noodle by pouring boiling water on a Dundonians head. Brave…misguided,but brave.Ducks quickly for a wee bugger!

RustySpanner

So how come Frankie Boyle is cutting edge and Bernard Manning isn't?

Because most of the people who laugh at Frankie Boyle really wish they could still laugh at the likes of Bernard Manning.
    Because laughing at Manning isn't socially acceptable anymore, they will justify their laughter on the grounds that Boyle is being 'post-modern' or 'ironic'.
    They should be made to write down a definition of both words before being allowed into the theatre, but it's a cosy agreement that benefits both performer and audience.
    Boyle probably doesn't care, or has justified it with the same argument himself.

It's always been the same – have a look at some of the old Alf Garnett stuff – designed to mock racism but loved by racists too stupid to realise that the joke was supposed on them. Or was it?

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Down's syndrome jokes’ is closed to new replies.