Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Downhill helmet as hand luggage?
  • garethh
    Free Member

I’m flying BA London to Vancouver next week, does anyone know if you can take a downhill helmet on as hand luggage?

Thanks

clubber
    Free Member

When I take my bike I always take my (normal/non-full face) helmet as handluggage, just strapped to my bag. DH helmet obviously a bit bigger but I reckon you’d probably get away with it.

richmtb

BA are normally okay with this kind ouf stuff, as above if you have Camelbak or something you could probably get away with strapping it to that.

Enjoy your trip Canada is awesome!

wombat

Why not wear it on to the ‘plane and then take it off, it’s then clothing not luggage 😉

richmtb

Why not wear it on to the ‘plane and then take it off, it’s then clothing not luggage

😆
    Yeah rock up to Heathrow security with Full facer, goggles, pads and gloves.

Let us know how you get on!

hels
    Free Member

I know somebody that wore their XC helmet through the checks as the airline staff tried to say it was extra carry on luggage. However I imagine anything that covers your face to that extent and looks more like a motorcycle helmet might be harder to get away with.

But it will at least allow everyone else to identify all the secret service agents on duty, when they rugby tackle you.

wombat

You only need to wear it at the check in, security don’t seem to care what your baggage allowance is so you could carry it through the scanner 😉

Limy
    Free Member

I haven’t flown with BA but have with Fly Zoom, Air Canada and Canadian Affair end every time I have taken a large camelback (no liquid) with my full face MX helmet in as hand luggage. I don’t usually have anything else in the bag except travel docs, sunglasses and camera. Never had any probs.

uplink
    Free Member

I once got on a flight in full motorcycle leathers carrying my crash helmet

Waiting at the gate, a woman asked if my motorbike was coming too
    I told her I was in normal company gear for airline pilots following last weeks incident 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

yeah carried mine on. weren’t fussed at at check in.

Yeah rock up to Heathrow security with Full facer, goggles, pads and gloves.

seen it in geneva! full pjs and armour.

_tom_
    Free Member

I was just gonna squeeze mine in my hold luggage for when I go Canada, padded by clothes and my pads.. is that a bad idea then?

nickhead
    Free Member

I’ve carried a fullface onto plane along with hand luggage bag before… my argument is – if women can get away with a handbag AND large hand luggage, then the helmet is no different in size to a handbag. Not that I’ve ever had to have that discussion.

Last time, it went into the bike bag, well padded – filled a nice space between swingarm and seatpost.

kayak23

Carried mine onto several flights in my hand luggage. Bit worried about it in the bike bag.
    Everything fine…

Phototim
    Free Member

No problem at all. I did exactly the same trip two weeks ago (london to Van with BA) and no one mentioned anything. If questioned, just tell them its a safety risk puting your helmet in your baggage which is perfectly reasonable as you have no idea whether it has been crushed or wacked.

steel4real
    Free Member

Same here – always take mine as handluggage in a helmet bag. Bag is big enough to fit a load of necessaries in as well.

mc
    Free Member

I always strap it to the backpack.

Only ever been questioned once by checkin about it, and that was due to the size of everything when it’s strapped together. They were happy enough provided I unclipped it on the plane, so it would fit in the lockers.

My biggest worry is that they decide to weight my hand luggage, in which case I’ll be screwed!

_tom_
    Free Member

Rang up Thomas Cook, they said that the helmet can go on as long as it fits in the one bag you’re using as hand luggage, but apparently clipping it to the bag isn’t allowed. Think I’m just gonna carefully pack mine in with my bike and hope for the best.

uplink
    Free Member

Rang up Thomas Cook, they said that the helmet can go on as long as it fits in the one bag you’re using as hand luggage

But they would say that, they’re just reading the regs out loud to you.
    Ring them back and ask if you can take a hat with you

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Downhill helmet as hand luggage?’ is closed to new replies.