Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Double yellow lines…parking 'beyond' them??
  • lister

Let me explain, at my local beach there is a single track road with a double yellow line on one side. On that side of the road there is then a large, flat grass area that can take about 3 cars.
    I’ve just got a ticket for parking on the grass, with no part of my vehicle touching the road. Is that ok? I always thought that you had to be on the road (ie the tarmac).

I and many other people have parked there many times before and I’ve never seen or heard of a ticket being issued there, so I’m abit peeved, but I’ll take the fine if my hunch is incorrect… 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What does it say on the ticket and have you photographic proof of where the car was parked?

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t think the ticket is legal, but you shouldn’t be driving on land that isn’t the public highway in order to park there. So – a different offence 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bravohotel8er
    Free Member

On a related note…

I sometimes park on a residential road with parking restrictions from 10.00-11.00 (so as to deter office workers from leaving their cars there).

Part of the road was recently resurfaced, one consequenceof that is that there is now a space approximately 2 cars in length where there is no single yellow line on the road whatsoever. Technically, is there now a 24/7 parking free-for-all in said space?

supertramp
    Free Member

It’s not legal to give you a ticket! I don’t believe the warden has any authority beyond the highway. I had this once and went back, re-parked and took photos. I defended myself in court and won! but that was back in 1998 and things might have changed, but I doubt it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Technically, is there now a 24/7 parking free-for-all in said space?

Yes – well at least I think you would be successful in any challenge to a ticket issued.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just appeal. Explain why.

lister

right, best pop back down there onight with my camera!

xiphon
    Free Member

Don’t forget to set the time of your camera back a few days!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I’d check the legality on a legal website, but I got fined (and unsuccessfully appealed) on a similar basis – parked on land (2/3 my driveway, 1/3 pavement) beyond the actual yellow lines/highway. Apparently the yellow lines also apply to the pavement beyond them.

project
    Free Member

Double yellow lines apply to the boundry, eg a fence or hedge from the yellow lines.

Traffic enforcement officer now ge tissued with cameras, to prove the offence, and take a picture of the tax disc to ensure the car is legally allowed on the road.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Double yellow lines apply to the boundry, eg a fence or hedge from the yellow lines.

Yep, that was my understanding afterwards. I was actually parked across the front of my garage (there was another car in there at the time).

MartynS

I think they have a right to ticket you for parking beyond lines like that, however head over HERE into the council parking tickets section. They are really good at picking these things apart, there may be some mistakes on the ticket they will pick up on

I assume its a council ticket? if its a private parking company just ignore it

project
    Free Member

Yellow line restrictions
    Yellow line restrictions apply to the back of the highway boundary including footways and verges unless a parking area has been designated off the carriageway.

Where parking on the pavement (footway) coincides with a yellow line restriction then a penalty charge notice can be issued by a CEO.

Occasionally more than one contravention is committed simultaneously. [quote]

andyl
    Free Member

i’d say the ticket was legal as I’ve always understoon the yellow lines do apply to pavements and verges as above ^.

lister

oh. bum. ah well, it’s worth a go…

Cougar

‘s a bit crap that it’s not backed up with a sign, TBH.

project
    Free Member

Its the law, and ignorance of the law is not seen as an excuse for not obeying the law.

andyl
    Free Member

If you think this is harsh I got towed off the driveway in front of my detached garage once.

Lets see if this works: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=kingsdown+bristol&ll=51.460925,-2.599922&spn=0,0.00066&gl=uk&t=h&z=21&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=51.460925,-2.599922&panoid=uzLdyemj1kedoP8dmcbAbg&cbp=12,186.78,,0,20.28

I had lived their for 1.5 years (at Uni) and many a time had been parking there when traffic wardens parked opposite to check cars in the 1hr bay. One day they sent 3 tow trucks and took away my car and 4 others belonging to elderly neighbours who had all been parking their short cars (Micras, Fiats etc)there for years. A friend watched out of the vet school window and saw an old lady standing in the road trying to stop the tow truck.

£180 each to get our cars back + a taxi ride for the elderly people.

Would have been nice for the council to have posted notices saying that parking was not allowed and giving us X days to move them. Wish I had fought it to be honest but they charged about £20 a day for storage and if you try and fight it afterwards they scare you with the threat of court costs etc. Hell, even a ticket would have been nicer than being towed.

PS I knew about the double yellow lines and pavement law but when we checked the land registry maps they had the spaces in front of the garages down as parking.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Double yellow lines…parking 'beyond' them??’ is closed to new replies.