Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • doorhandletrackworld help needed…
  • munkster
    Free Member

Got two of these in our 1920’s house that seem to have given up the ghost. They look very old and having one of them apart the springy thing that keeps it all working has just snapped. The mother in law got locked in the bathroom when one of them “failed” so I’d rather not keep chancing it!

Is it possible to replace this sort of thing or do I have to go new? Any help appreciated cheers!

johndoh
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll pick some originals up on Ebay and I am equally sure you could get new ones from any decent hardware store or even Screwfix.

Edit….

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rim+door+handles&oq=rim+door+handles&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4438j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=rim+latch+door+handles&safe=off&tbm=shop

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks, do they have a particular name this sort of thing?

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^

cranberry
    Free Member

Would replacing the springy thing not be a solution ?

Edit: and getting the MIL a tin of Brasso to give your handle a good polish.

munkster
    Free Member

It is a possibility but even then how it all fits together inside is a bit of a mystery too.

Thanks johndoe too

munkster
    Free Member

Have been on a bit of a magical mystery tour of hardware/fixings/ironmongers just now and have left the item with the latter who is going to let me know how much to refurbish it. Thanks for help those that replied. Apart from the Brasso bit 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

We have a few of them on our doors, hate them as most of them need quite a lot of force to turn due to heavy springs/high spring rates. One has an Isle Of Man triskelion stamped on it. Odd, because we live in Somerset.

unovolo
    Free Member

A architectural salvage yard will probably have plenty of those locks.
    Try ‘Insitu’ in Manchester, they used to sell them and the old fashioned door knobs amongst other things.

Home

newrobdob
    Free Member

DOnt bother with the cheaper new ones, I bought one for about a tenner and it was beyond crap. Made of metal thickness of drinks cans.

chickenman

A good locksmith will fix that for £15 and supply new handles if required. Saves you buying a shitty electroplated effort from Screwfix.

munkster
    Free Member

I’ll wait and see what the ironmongers say now but thanks for all these ideas, cheers!

project
    Free Member

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk

and theyre called rim locks. and the chap who fits them used to be called a rimmer

munkster
    Free Member

and the chap who fits them used to be called a rimmer

“Citation Needed”

😆 😯

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘doorhandletrackworld help needed…’ is closed to new replies.