Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Dyson vs Miele
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah, it’s that exciting of a post. We need a new vacuum – our (very old and donated) Miele is on the way out, the motor is starting to sound a bit like an asthmatic mouse and smell like it might set on fire at any given moment.

We’ve been pretty happy with the Miele (think it’s a C2) but the bagless nature of Dysons is appealing – are they all that? Worth the extra? Or should we stick to the Miele. Or indeed something else entirely.

Thanks STW. This is what my weekends have come to.

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve always been a dyson household but have recently moved to a cordless. Total game changer in the vacuuming world. Makes it a little and often job rather than a big chore.

Bunnyhop

We’ve just bought a Miele after years of lugging the Dyson around. The Miele is wonderful.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gobuchul
    Free Member

Sebo FTW.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

henryyyy!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Dyson are a bit heavy, but that doesn’t bother me personally, but I can see how it would bother others. I like the manoeuvrability of the ball on the Dyson, and the pure suction power is great. You just know the carpet is spotless after a few passes of a Dyson. But the bagless nature is fine in terms of maintaining suction even when full, but I still find emptying a bit of a messy business. I’m a little sensitive to dust and still have not sussed out a method of emptying the Dyson without generating a bit of a rising cloud of fine dust which I can’t help but inhale some of then i’m struggling with dust allergy symptoms for a few hours, which is mildly annoying. then there is the issue that living in a house with three long-haired ladies where the long hair clumps up in the Dyson chamber into balls that don’t drop out when you do empty the chamber, so it inevitably means taking a stick or thin handle of something like a wooden spoon to fish out the hair balls. Again, just mildly annoying. I’d still buy another Dyson. I don’t think they’re that pricy and ultimately suck up the muck from the carpet very well which is the prime purpose of the thing. We get a cleaner in every couple of weeks and she prefers Dyson’s purely from the performance aspect and she knows a thing or two about vacuum cleaners.

Also worth bearing in mind the performance of other cleaners is about to deteriorate as they need to fit less powerful motors under new EU rules. Cleaners like Miele’s use huge 2kw motors which are now going to be replaced with 900w motors so their performance is going to drop off the edge of a cliff. Dyson always made do with smaller motors due to their more efficient nature so their performance is not likely to be affected as much – unless they license the bagless tech from Dyson.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sandwich

How much to repair the Miele? The older appliances are usually built a bit better than the newer ones, plastics more robust components better specified. If you have a look at espares they probably have a repair guide for Miele vacuum cleaners and will sell you the parts too.

kimbers

Our meile has outlived the dyson by a good few years, including plenty of major diy clear ups. I had to replace a switch after it got wet once.
    Power wise not much in it, dyson possibly a bit better.
    The bagless dysons are messier emptying, if you do it inside you have to hoover again after !, would like to try a cordless one though.

anagallis_arvensis

Dont buy a Henry as you’ll have it for 20 years and gut tutted at by Middleclasstrackworld posters who will tell you that their Milliedyson sucks harder.

Kryton57

they need to fit less powerful motors under new EU rules.

Oh come on, really?

gobuchul
    Free Member

they need to fit less powerful motors under new EU rules.
    Oh come on, really?

This is actually a thing.

All vacuum cleaners are now limited to a maximum of 1600kw to try and reduce energy usage.

nickjb
    Free Member

they need to fit less powerful more energy efficient motors under new EU rules.

Fixed. Something dyson have been doing for years

newrobdob
    Free Member

I recently bought one of the new lower wattages Henry machines. I feared it would be hopeless compared to the one I’ve used in a friends house but it’s just as good and quieter too.

redmex
    Free Member

Once your dyson 2 year warranty has passed it is like a two year old marriage the sucking stops and the whining starts go for a miele and get a ten year

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Meile here can’t fault it. Both meile and dyson score well in which magazine tests, if money was no object, I’d probably be looking at the dyson v8 cordless, it gets high marks in which test 83? and appears to have all the advantages. Upright dyson dc40 multifloor scores 80? and is fairly cheap @£200. Meile complete scores 83? to 73? depending on which model you buy (ecolines score highest)

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Well, I never use the top power settings on my Miele. It was cheaper than a Dyson, and came with two powered rotating heads. The woman who comes and does 2 hours cleaning for me once a week says she doesn’t rate Henrys, and there is always a stack of bust Dysons at my local tip.

Owned 3 mieles, all still going in different places.

MrPottatoHead

Had a Dyson which gave up. Replaced it with a Miele that was in sales and it is hands down far better in most ways, apart from being manoeuvrable.

bodgy
    Free Member

Henry every time (which is not very often).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

there is always a stack of bust Dysons at my local tip.

Actually, this is true. Might just be that they stand out more tho.

+1 about only using the meile on half power setting all the time (mine’s a 1600w).

We use a Henry at work and it does the job, but not quite in the same league

nuke

there is always a stack of bust Dysons at my local tip.

The switch on my Dyson went so i replaced the switch whereas im guessing some folk would just bin them assuming theyre unfixable. It made me realise just how basic dysons (and im assuming all vacuum cleaners) are internally and therefore simple to fix. Dyson parts were easy to get hold of too. My Dyson is 10+ years now and still going fine

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My tuppence:

Henry works really well and has very high quality tubes but tends to fall over, jam on walls and trips over it’s own cable or rug edges. It’s great value and cleans well but is not very suited to weaker people or those with wrist/hand injury/weakness/arthritis etc. This will also hold true regarding the cable return – you have to be strong enough to bend over, pinch-grip the knob and rotate the cable winding drum.

The angled plastic end that fits over the metal tube [flexible hose/handle interface] tends to split along the mould line, however this is easily fixed with a wrap of duck tape etc and isn’t a deal-breaker. You could probably get a spare from Numatic for free if you ask them.

Used a couple of Mieles, seem to be very good quality but both have had short cables and little wheels underneath which also will catch on edges/rugs. Much lighter though, and with spring-loaded cable return. Very powerful.

I wouldn’t worry about the power consumption being limited, it’s just to stop bullshit inefficient numbers games being played by manufacturers. What actually matters is static pressure vs airflow and this is down to good engineering of air paths and filters/bags. One of my design lecturers worked on the original Electrolux uprights and was confident 500W would do fine if the airflow was right.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I love that we have genuine experts on everything here.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No eu rules is about power. They are restricting it get less powerful motors that consume less energy, so notthing to do with the efficiency of the motors. a 900w motor is less powerful than a 2kw motor. It says nothing about efficiency. They hope cleaners will get more efficient as a result, but in the short term their performance will suffer.

vondally
    Free Member

Sebo,…….Only one we have not destroyed

footflaps

Dyson are a bit heavy,

The uprights are, the cylinder ones are much lighter to use.

Have had Henry, Miele, both Dyson models (upright and cylinder) and a Festool Cleantec. Best cleaner by miles is the upright Dyson, however I find it a PITA to use. Nicest to use was the Dyson Cylinder (in workshop awaiting me repairing it). Least effective was Henry – had bugger all suction on carpets, threw it away and now have a Festool as workshop vacuum. Worst by miles was Miele (in cottage in Yorkshire), about as effective as a broom and will replace with one of the Dysons once I fix the bust one.

nickjb
    Free Member

a 900w motor is less powerful than a 2kw

Not at all. All you can say is it uses less electricity. Like measuring the power of a car by how much petrol it uses. Vacuum cleaner power is more usefully measured in Air Watts. That’s how much suck it has. Dyson have been using these figures along with more efficient motors for years.

footflaps

a 900w motor is less powerful than a 2kw

Also depends on the overall design e.g. we have two Animal Dysons, an upright with a 700w motor and direct motorised brush bar and a 6yr old Cylinder with a 1.4kw motor (IIRC) and suction powered brush bar. The newer, 700W, model is much better at cleaning carpets. The Cylinder design has more power, but has more losses as the motor is 3m from the head.

frankconway

Sebo

jambalaya
    Free Member

Miele all day long.

Have owned both (ex wife liked Dyson). Bagless is a pain in the arse when you come to empty the thing as dust goes everywhere. The price differentital between Miele and Dyson would pay for many many bags. FYI also have a Henry which is clearly not as good as a Meile but is a fraction of the price and gets the job done

wynne
    Free Member

Had Dyson, used a Meile for a while at my parents and now have a Henry. All round I reckon Henry is the best – simplest to use (v stupid Dyson gimmicks), perfectly powerful, has bags (I find bagless a pain), plenty of spares cheap and available and British made.

Plus that Dyson bloke is odious.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

He is indeed.

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep. Sponsoring university buildings, funding scholarships, support for entrepreneurs, employs loads of engineering graduates, and then he has the nerve to pay his taxes as well. How annoying

bonesetter
    Free Member

Dysons are crap – Sebo are brilliant and can be picked up easily on the Bay

wynne
    Free Member

Oh, and Henry’s got eyes. EYES!!!
    Bloody brilliant.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also worth bearing in mind the performance of other cleaners is about to deteriorate as they need to fit less powerful motors under new EU rules. Cleaners like Miele’s use huge 2kw motors which are now going to be replaced with 900w motors so their performance is going to drop off the edge of a cliff. Dyson always made do with smaller motors due to their more efficient nature so their performance is not likely to be affected as much – unless they license the bagless tech from Dyson.

Miele are already selling vacuums with 700w motors which comply with Sept EU efficiency rules. So, if you take two £200 priced machines, Miele compact c2 excellence ecoline & Dyson dc40 multi floor. The Miele scores better on carpet cleaning and very much better on decibels. Both are the same on other tests in delegated regulation (EU) No. 665/2013, both have an overall rating of A, both score very high in Which tests also. might be worth reading the Which tests to see if they compared them with full bag/cylinder as the official efficiency tests for the EU energy rating are probably done empty.

Flaperon

I would never buy a Dyson, and encourage others to give them a wide berth too. There’s nothing special in them, their “digital motor” is merely pulse driven electronically with position information picked up from a hall sensor for greater efficiency.

On top of that, because their motor is brushless they market it as having “low carbon emissions” due to no carbon brushes. It’s snake oil, plain and simple.

The man is an odious Brexiteer whose primary talent in life is deceiving the public with marketing spin and brightly coloured plastic while charging insane prices for basic technology manufactured at minimum cost in China.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Miele or Sebo for me

flyingmonkeycorps

Wow, cheers all, some good food for thought there. I will definitely look at repairing the Miele, we’ve been happy with it so far (it was donated and must be ten years old).

oldtalent
    Free Member

The man is an odious Brexiteer whose primary talent in life is deceiving the public with marketing spin and brightly coloured plastic while charging insane prices for basic technology manufactured at minimum cost in China.

Dont care. My dyson is the best vacuum I’ve ever owned and if the chap is a brexit supported then that makes me even happier with my purchase.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Dyson vs Miele’ is closed to new replies.