• This topic has 44 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Don't Panic
  • BlobOnAStick

A few months ago I was wondering whether or not my kids would ever ‘get’ the many references in popular culture to H2G2:

Don’t panic
    Babel Fish
    So long and thanks for all the fish
    etc
    etc

So I downloaded the entire radio series onto my MP3 player and we now listen to it on long car journeys. I cannot believe how much they love it – although the constant references to digital watches and old-style technology date the work somewhat.

Instead of taking time to explain the cultural references, I ended up explaining what digital watches, fax machines and matrix printers where! Doh!

Edit: Back to the OP: Agreed, the kids don’t find the concept of an encyclopedia on a ‘kindle’ at all difficult to imagine, I wonder if there’s a market for kindle covers with a friendly ‘don’t panic’ written on them……

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We were doing some end-of-year exams in school; I was 12. She said “bring a book to read quietly if you finish early”. I brought “The Restaurant at The End of The Universe”.

I got sent out for being “disruptive” 😆

Some on the best writing ever IMO.

Nick

I’ve just discovered that Peter Jones, the voice of the book, was born in Wem, Shropshire, which is 4 miles from where I sit and type this.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m somewhat disappointed that I quoted a bit of HHGTTG on the big god thread and everybody missed it. (hint – it’s also been quoted on this thread).

D0NK

I’d forgotten about that thread aracer just had a catch up and did spot it 😉

Lying in the mud, dunno what to do next. Why does the help give the example “Ford, where are you going?” but the game says “I don’t know the word you” Think I’ll go back to metaphorically bashing rocks together on oblivion

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Don't Panic’ is closed to new replies.