Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • "Don and Katy watched hypnotically Gino place more coffees out at another….
  • aP
    Free Member

…table with supreme balance.”
    Is there a better line from a book in the English culture-verse?

willard

” Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us”

Inspiring stuff..

woody2000

Don and Katy watched hypnotically Gino

Doesn’t scan – isn’t there an “as” missing from that sentence? Culture-verse fail?

organic355
    Free Member

this gives me an idea…

Was world book day a few weeks ago. You were supposed to grab the book closest to you right now. Open to page 56 and choose the 5th sentence and publish it as your Arsebook status, I dint get around to it then so lets see what we get now.

Don’t choose. PICK UP the CLOSEST book. Don’t say what book it is.

Mine:

Somehow, the oneness of this shared experience, the coalescing of millions of minds, had affected the randomising function of these machines, organising their outputs and bringing order from chaos.

wwaswas

‘placed’ and not ‘place’ as well, surely?

and the ‘with supreme balance’ bit sounds a bit OTT for a bloke arrying a couple of espresso’s?

DaRC_L

Is there a better line from a book in the English culture-verse?

Yes…many

bagpuss72
    Free Member

He’s American so I guess it doesn’t count for this thread but this is my favourite line from any book

“As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.”

— Ernest Hemingway (A Moveable Feast)

midlifecrashes

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

And I don’t even like Oysters but it makes me want some….

hels
    Free Member

Que ? Thats not even proper English.

Opening lines from novels are great. Must require so much effort from the author – how do you start ? I always aspire to “in media res” like the epic poets in my writing you might as well aim high.

But I would give the award to Dickens:

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times”

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time I tried that page 56 thing the closed book to me was a Tinga Tinga Tales board book of Meg’s.

This time the sentence is ‘Die Pfirsche?’

higgo
    Free Member

Genuinely thought it was a line of random text generated to avoid a spam filter.

alfabus
    Free Member

p56, 5th sentence:

“Simply put, refactoring is a formal and mechanical process whereby you improve an existing code base.”

Shakespeare, eat your heart out!

Dave

(Pro C# 2008 and the .NET 3.5 Platform)

Cougar

The OP is referring to one Jacqueline Howett, an “author” who a) can’t accept criticism, and b) appears oblivious to her complete inability to form sentences.

http://booksandpals.blogspot.com/2011/03/greek-seaman-jacqueline-howett.html

roper
    Free Member

P.56 line 5,
    “El que calla, sereno, cuando hablo”

aP
    Free Member

Dammit Cougar! I was going to post some more…

willard

p.56, 5th sentence:

“Since each class variable must be part of a class and must be referred to with its class name, each has a unique name.”.

wwaswas

Cougar – I thought it sounded familiar – I read that thread ysterday – has she reappered to insult some more people?

Cougar

Dammit Cougar! I was going to post some more…

Oh, sorry! I didn’t know it was a secret. I spotted the original yesterday.

Cougar

has she reappered to insult some more people?

Last thing she posted was the f-bomb (twice), far as I’m aware.

wwaswas

ah, I won’t trawl through it all again then 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

OP that’s a great line.. worrying that some people’s grasp of english is such that they feel able to criticise..

user-removed
    Free Member

Nearest book (The Scottish Clans and their Tartans, 1928), p.55, 5th line;

“We had it from a lady of rank who has still in her possesion a silk scarf (or plaid) of it, which was manufactured in 1712 for a lady who was a most zealous Jacobite”

Oh Crapola! Wrong page 😀

thepurist

In fact there are two mistakes we can make: a Type I and a Type II error.

corroded
    Free Member

P56, line 5:

‘You cannot save the land apart from the people or the people apart from the land.’

(Was quoting from that very page in an article yesterday.)

molgrips
    Free Member

My book was Teach Yourself German btw.

I didn’t include the Kindle 🙂

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Oh I’ve just read her rant on the link that’s funny…. sorry but it is

CaptJon
    Free Member

“In Walcott’s time, the slate of Precambrian life was absolutely blank.”

chvck
    Free Member

p 56, 5th sentence:

Examples of printouts for three microcomputer statistical packages are presented: JMP, SPSS and SYSTAT.

Thrilling stuff!

mogrim

“So now we’ve briefly covered the gory details of how Lucene works…”

Gory? Not even the slightest hint of blood, nary a severed limb to be seen! Even Ms. Howett could do better!

johnners
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    OP that’s a great line.. worrying that some people’s grasp of english is such that they feel able to criticise..

I do hope you’re kidding. It’s absolutely awful.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve had to order the Howett womans book…

from the examples people have cited in the link I can only conclude that I enjoy her turn of phrase.. and though not compatible with GCSE english exams or Mills and Boon novels it’s refreshing and interesting and valid and a change from the hackneyed and archaic trite we are often served..

I hope her book becomes a bestseller and she achieves rockstar status..

Simply as I know it will stick in the throats of all those people that left comments wishing ill of her career.. based purely on her lack of professonalism..
    There’s nothing worse than the demand for professional conduct and practice for sensoring and stifling the creative community..

uptight (and with reference to the examples provided.. extraordinarily ill-educated) nerds..

I’m a bit dubious though as her angry ranting was full of spelling mistakes.. 😕

ourmaninthenorth

P.56, fifth sentence:

“Switch Tour – Jan”

North, Ourmaninthe – Workbook 2 December 2010 to Date.

DezB
    Free Member

organic355 – Member
    this gives me an idea…

Was world book day a few weeks ago. You were supposed to grab the book closest to you right now. Open to page 56 and choose the 5th sentence and publish it as your Arsebook status, I dint get around to it then so lets see what we get now.

Don’t choose. PICK UP the CLOSEST book. Don’t say what book it is.

That was months ago, I thought. My quote still is my status cos I think that was the last time I used Facebook!

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

Portugal does not currently operate a wealth tax.

That’s what the closest book to me says on page 56 5th sentence

mogrim

I’m a bit dubious though as her angry ranting was full of spelling mistakes.

Check out her blog, her ranting is a faithful representation of her writing style:

I give it 5 Stars. Love of a Stonemason by Christa Polkinhorn is a wonderful book, I highly recommend. Being a bit of a traveler and artist myself, I could really relate to the world of culture, which I really found enjoyably described, and a refreshing change. I especially liked how the heroine’s thoughts were conveyed through her brushstrokes on canvass as an artist, giving the story depth. The Stonemason, the artist meets, known for his tombstone’s, is also semi famous, creating shiny sculptures that are placed in the nearby towns.

ourmaninthenorth

Having skimmed some of the stuff available on Ms Howett online, I have concluded that she is the proof-reader of around 90% of the posts on this site. Or possibly the author of them.

In fact, I suspect she may in fact be the product of all the drivel posted online.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

P56, 5 line down.
    PANTONE DE112-5 C

Kinda guessing the page number but that’s about right.

SkillWill
    Free Member

As your baby passes down the vagina he goes under the pubic bone and through the opening in the pelvic floor muscles.

Your Pregnancy Bible.

BigJohn

The lesson is to find what you like and let it kill you, as Walter discovers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘"Don and Katy watched hypnotically Gino place more coffees out at another….’ is closed to new replies.