Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Dole or Rubbish job, what would you take?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’ve just taken 2 crummy jobs for xmas money as self employed didn’t earn me enough.

I’m getting stick from friends and family as I have a masters degree and had great jobs. I’m applying to a few good roles that pay ok like 40-60k.

I’m taking 2 months off and refuse to go on the dole.

Say hello to me in the shop and open your door to collect your parcel.

I also offer massage if you are a female super model.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Crappy job. Who knows where it might lead.

tjagain

You are right IMO. Apart from anything else you will earn more than the dole and jobs in that salary bracket are pretty rare – IIRC top earning 10% of the population

Houns

I stacked shelves in Sainsbury’s for Christmas 2 years ago. Loved it

grannyjone
    Free Member

The Dole
    I’d say the Dole but that was when it used to be easy to stay on it. I believe now they make you really work for your benefits ?

It’s been 7 years since I was on the Dole. I was on it for 9 months, because I wouldn’t come off it to take a crap job, and waited until I got a decent one.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well it pays well even if long hours and not mentally challenging.

Bit back breaking but hey, I’ll pause the gym membership and could use the exercise!

I know a guy who waited 4 months on the dole, refused shop work and got the 65k job he wanted.

I can understand though.

Nice one Houns, me too!

edhornby

The work you are doing is more mentally rewarding than sitting at home, and if you don’t get the job you hope for it can be anxious being unemployed and searching. You’re doing the right thing.

Houns

Sadly due illness (once I’m fit enough to) I may be doing it again

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s not a decision. If you’re on the dole then it should be because you don’t have the option to work. That is what the dole is for – a safety net. If you have the option to work then it is your duty to work, if not you’re a sponger.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

“The Dole”

Depends what you’re looking for I guess, but for me job hunting was a full time job in itself. Last time I hunted many places wanted at least 2 interviews, sometimes a written exercise too, then you’ve got to preparation for the interviews, creating a presentation etc..

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well if you’re sick, you’re sick.

Get well soon!

I was off sick for 3 weeks after been run over! Took me longer to recover though but work helped but in some ways I wished I had more time to recover as I didn’t know anyone’s name from my head injury!

clodhopper
    Free Member

What about volunteering whilst unemployed?

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/volunteering-while-benefits

Unless you’ve got a particularly nasty claimants adviser, the Job Centre will generally leave you alone, as regards hassling you about looking for work, especially if you tell them you’re only needing to claim for a short period. You can spin it as the voluntary work being something that you can learn transferrable skills from. And you could well really enjoy volunteering. Many organisations are very grateful for any volunteers to help out.

Nothing wrong with doing a shitty job though. Millions have to. 2 months will fly by if you get your head down.

The key is to use the time in a way that is constructive for you.

Houns

Was going to suggest you look at postie jobs, but then I re-read your OP

MoreCashThanDash

Never claimed the dole, always been lucky and found something within 3-4 weeks. Always easier to look for something better when you have a job already, and shows a good work ethic.

Plus, I’d fester if I didn’t have to go to work. I’ve been a postie, call centre drone, office admin, all sorts.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Argos are taking some driver jobs if that helps anyone.

Shops, hospitals, schools, laboratories and Canary Wharf- done it all.

Guess my goal is to save up a bit more and go self employed round deux!

I know it’s easy and if you’re mentally or physically challenge or sick.

I couldn’t clean toilets but then if I had to I would.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d work, I’d go mad on ‘the dole’ I’ve always hated it.

I don’t mind a bit of unskilled labour, I once had a job as a photocopier and general gopher – happiest 3 working weeks of my life. Straight from that into Corp Finance, sucked but the money was good.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I knew a guy who went from top sales executive to breaking parts off in washing machine scrap yard to pay the bills.

He went on to opening his own successful business as a flourist.

I saw him laugh, cry and laugh again.

He left school with nothing but desire and work ethic. It paid off!

Junkyard
    Free Member

DwP are very reluctant and tough on the self employed who claim they have no work and you will find yourself getting a hard time if you try

IMHO its better to work than not work in general but it is your choice and i make no judgement of it

ton

are there anything but ‘crap’ jobs? 😆

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I didn’t bother going on dole.
    Not worth the hassle.
    I just spent time applying for decent paying salaried jobs, cutting back on the spending massively and making my own cider to get drunk.
    I’m single though, own my house outright without a mortgage and the drummer from the band inhabits the spare room and pays me rent

I figured each job application takes about 8 hours if you do it right. Get an interview with a required presentation and once you count travelling etc you’re looking at about 20 hours total.

I had savings though…..

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Crummy as in 2 part time jobs that nobody wants to fill so I’m doing it.

Crummy as the people who worked there told me they hate their jobs but hey it’s money to me.

It’s not beneath me but I got a load of stick for doing it by friends and embarrassed families but I don’t care.

Everyone is equal in my book – even the Queen sits on the toilet but unfortunately I don’t have Jeeves to wipe my backside!

My crappest job was wiping the crap off the backsides of mentally challenged folks. I didn’t like the smell but did that for a year while at Uni.

I have savings but not prepared to let them drop if I can.

scotroutes

I’m lucky enough to work only because I want to and I’d rather work (at least part-time) than not. I’ve done minimum wage stuff, done stuff I’ve enjoyed. I don’t think it’s a pride thing either, I just prefer to have that additional contact with people and feeling I’m doing something more useful than arguing on the Internet.

Edit : cue someone having a go at me for “stealing” a job from someone more in need….

nant
    Free Member

I’ve been hard up with finding the right work, but been working for an outdoor shop on minimum wage and I’m quite enjoying it. Also topping up on massively discounted outdoor equipment for the foreseeable future.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve got a job that’s brain-dead and £45k a year (exactly what the OP is trying to avoid).

£45k isn’t enough for this hobby (mountain biking) and I’ll never have the skill or fitness to make any money through racing. The skill level of some of the people I ride with is like it’s another World and even they aren’t making money out of this sport.

The problem is, I don’t think I can possibly get anything better and I’m stuck with it for 30+ years until retirement.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“£45k isn’t enough for this hobby (mountain biking)”

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

And what scotroutes said.ive earned some good money over the years from menial jobs . Ive had some good time doing them as well.

I do think its Important to never be too proud to do menial jobs . Keeps you grounded.

iainc

grannyjone – Member
    I’ve got a job that’s brain-dead and £45k a year (exactly what the OP is trying to avoid).

£45k isn’t enough for this hobby (mountain biking)

moans about £30 for a tyre

😯

br
    Free Member

For most folk it’s that if they come off the dole it takes forever and a day to get back all your allowances and be actually paid.

In your position, make sure you can take a day off etc for interviews and/or are able to answer the phone/emails.

If you are only getting JSA then its probably better working, but if you can get JSA plus family/housing help then you’ll probably be better off on the dole and if going after decent jobs they won’t care you’ve been signed on.

BigJohn

After a long period of crap jobs after getting made redundant (age 50) from the profession I really enjoyed, and was well-paid in (Enterprise IT Sales) Mrs BigJohn said “do something you’re good at, and enjoy, and if it makes a bit of money that’s a bonus”.

So I did. And now I make bespoke bedrooms and studys (studies?), I no longer advertise because I get referrals and repeat business and at the age of 63 I’m the happiest I’ve ever been.

tjagain

“£45k isn’t enough for this hobby (mountain biking)”

Oops – I’d better stop immediately as I only made £30 000 last year. Oh wait – I have money in the bank and a nice range of bikes
    * checks salary scales*

bearnecessities

What’s going on here lately with all the welfare state bobbins being posted? Can’t you just concentrate on spreading twaddle about brexit/weight loss/poppies, or is that not enough?!

Thankfully I remember the OP has (a quite entertaining) form on trolling, so I’ll not be biting. 🙂

Cougar

Easier to find a job when you already have one.

Whilst you’re not signing on and not claiming JSA (or whatever it’s called this week), wh’s paying your NI?

grannyjone
    Free Member

Finding a job takes a lot of hours so I think it’s really hard to work full time and put the hours into Interview preparation and practice, perfect application form filling and prep for other assessments at the same time as working full time.

bearnecessities

who’s paying your NI?

Nobody.

So kids, when in doubt, get in touch with DWP*. It may be as simple as for contributions only, but it’s your contributions, paid for you.

Ditch any misplaced feelings of ‘pride’ and declare your circumstances; the welfare state exists to help you when you need it. Ignore the media, ignore the absolute garbage posted on here and get the support that you are entitled to.

I’d wager that most of the regular posters on here receive some form of state funding anyhow.

*or go online to Money Advice Service, or Gov.uk,

garage-dweller

Me I’d work.

Pride is part of it
    Social is another possible part
    Setting a good example to my boys another
    But mostly —- Why w/should I (be able to) take others’ money (taxes collected) when I can earn my own and leave more in the pot for the truly destitute.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Finding a job takes a lot of hours so I think it’s really hard to work full time and put the hours into Interview preparation and practice, perfect application form filling and prep for other assessments at the same time as working full time.

This basically.

Ive been out of work since July and applying is pretty much a full time. Taken a low paid job a couple of weeks ago and haven’t had time to make one application since.

It’s a rock and a hard place.

My current job cant be permenant, it doesnt pay enough to even cover the mortgage amd bills so thats being topped up from savings which is only sustainable for a few months. So its work, pay bills in the short term but not have time to apply for so many new jobs and be buggered in the spring. Or collect the £70/week (barely makes a dent in the household finances) and hope for a job quickly.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Feel for you guys. Hobson’s choice.
    Gotta keep your own happiness as part of the equation too.

Though my pal got laid off from her office job at a stationary company. Well paid but soul sucking.
    Works part time in a vintage clothing store but is so much happier. Doesn’t make enough to cover her bills but does DIY and cleaning for people to make it up.
    Can see a real change in her. Money isn’t everything.

Does help though.

Also means we have time to toke together, yay

69er_Gav
    Free Member

“yourguitarhero –
    I’m single though, own my house outright without a mortgage and the drummer from the band inhabits the spare room and pays me rent”

yourguitarhero – When you say “the band”, do you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCw3-YTffo ……or someone you’re in a band with?

oldtalent
    Free Member

Dole. I feel I gave paid in long enough and have no issues getting some of my money back.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

No, not that band. We’re nowhere near that good!

Sundayjumper

I’m still reeling that on STW a £60k job is merely “OK”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Dole or Rubbish job, what would you take?’ is closed to new replies.