Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Cheapest replacement for specialized ground control tyres
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I had a pair of Specialized Ground Control tyres 29 x 2.3 width that had worn out. The £20 Continental Mountain King tyres I’ve replaced them with don’t have as much grip. Unsuitable and dangerous on anything wet.
    I’ve been struggling to find Ground Control tyres of 29 x 2.3 that are around £20 so I’m looking for an equivalent when it comes to grip. Is there anything that anyone can suggest please?

fifeandy
    Free Member

The £20 mountain kings are only £20 for a reason. You want the £40 ones if you plan on having grip.

wiggles
    Free Member

You won’t find something that is cheaper but as good…

They do a 2.1 ground control sport (£20) but it isn’t anything like the control ones you had. It would have cost £60 to change them like for like, if you have spent £40 on crap tyres and then spend another £40 on another pair of crap tyres you are £20 down on just buying decent ones to start with.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Is there no tyres that are good value ? Is there anything even at £30 per tyre that’s as good as Ground Control ?

wiggles
    Free Member

I’d say £30 for a tyre that stops you smashing your face into the ground good value

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is there no tyres that are good value ?

There are plenty. They don’t cost £20 though.

Edit: beaten to it by Wiggles! 🙂

OP: when I worked in a shop our biggest mark-ups were cheap inner tubes and cheap tyres. Expensive tyres have very little mark-up, but they are markedly better. I don’t buy cheap tyres for my bike or my car for the singular reason that they are my contact with mother earth while operating said vehicle. I value and respect that, and will pay for that contact to be a good one.

simondbarnes

Is there anything even at £30 per tyre that’s as good as Ground Control ?

Not in my experience.

grannyjone
    Free Member

This makes very grim reading. The problem is that the tyres don’t last 5 minutes and paying anything like £40 per tyre just feels like exceptionally poor value. Just like most other bike components, they just don’t last long.

I paid £40 for a car tyre recently, not only did they fit it for me, but it is specced to last 25,000 miles!

Leku
    Free Member

On-One Smorgasbord?
    Cheap but not certain how good..

jamesoz

Chunky monkey on the front and Smorgasbord on the rear, would be my call for budget tyres with good grip.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Like these ??

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM29X225/on-one-smorgasbord-29×225-tyre

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM29X24/on-one-chunky-monkey-29×24-tyre

I’m after a tyre that’s not so grippy that it makes Tarmac sections really hard work, just something that’s medium grip like the Ground Control were and not outright dangerous on wet like the cheap mountain king tyres are. Are these a good solution for that ?

devash
    Free Member

Strange that Specialized have discontinued the GC in 2.3 (according to their website). I’ve been running one as a rear tyre for a fair while and have been quite impressed with it.

£40 seems to be the going rate for a decent tyre. By decent I mean made of a compound that will grip well in typical wet UK conditions. I’ve always run Specialized because they come in at £30-35.

fifeandy
    Free Member

At £40 i wouldnt trust a car tyre to grip either. Does it say ‘ditch finder’ on the sidewall?

Shop around and you can usually get well under £rrp

Wiggle have Ardents @£31, Hans dampf and nobby nic @£32, and the grippier mountain kings @£23 if you can wait for them to come back in stock.

tomhoward

So you want fast rolling, grippy, cheap tyres?

Best of luck. I appreciate this doesn’t help, but a little adjustment of expectation may be required.

Pick two from the above.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got one in the shed, email me if you’re interested

orangeboy
    Free Member

Go into your local non chain Spesh dealer and ask for a deal ? Rrp is £30 for most of the Spesh tyres and it can’t hurt to ask for a small discount for a pair

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

This makes very grim reading.

Does it? Decent bike tyres are produced on a far smaller scale when compared to ‘quality’ bike tyres. That value of scale comes into play, as does the material used. If you want tyres with a decent tread, but made of lino – go for it. Buy a £20 tyre. Like most things, cheap means that somewhere in the production line corners have been cut.

The problem is that the tyres don’t last 5 minutes and paying anything like £40 per tyre just feels like exceptionally poor value. Just like most other bike components, they just don’t last long.

Seriously? Or is there an element of user error here?

I paid £40 for a car tyre recently, not only did they fit it for me, but it is specced to last 25,000 miles!

Congratulations. I hear good things about the Dai Yung Ditchfinder3 crossply.

🙄

Oh yeah – if you want the On-Ones I’d buy quickly before Planet X fold completely.

mtbfix

Do you shop at Tesco? Club card vouchers are double value at Evans.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

El Pimpster is correct.

Had to happen eventually, I suppose.

Garry_Lager

My GCs in the same size are just about worn out, as it happens. The 29er grid casing is currently out of stock everywhere as far as I can see, but new ones will be arriving in Jan according to Specialized, so I guess that would be 2.3 seen as the last grid ones were.

I just bought a purgatory 29er 2.3 grid from leisure lakes to tide me over for the front, and I’ll persevere with a baldy GC on the back.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Is it any good the Purgatory Grid ? How are you finding it compared to the GC’s ?

Found the purgatory 29er 2.3 grid here for just £20! Discounted from £35! Is this the same tyre ?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/Purgatory-Grid-MTB-Tyre/5JWN?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjwwOvABRC08aedoZ_lnTMSJACs_cbuQnN5HroiE833aL37zS9QDpdws7oBCZnDIELLVdHGDxoCjL_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It claims to be fast rolling, grippy and cheap.
    Got to be better than the cheap Continental Kings ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anything is better than non black chilli Contis. BC ones are excellent, though.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For something that can do road and moderate off-road, at a reasonable price, look at Land Cruiser and Marathon Cross. Another one is Smart Sam.

Garry_Lager

Yes that’s the one – great price.

It’s definitely a good tyre, but I’m not the biggest fan as it’s sort of a half-way house IMHO. Not grippy enough to make a real difference on difficult stuff, and slower rolling than the GCs for general riding. Think it is very close to the same weight as a GC grid, though.

Others see it in completely opposite terms – the perfect goldilocks tyre for trail riding. Know folk who run them year round in the Peak.

papercutout
    Free Member

I don’t know how you’ve been riding, but I’ve put approx 4000km onto a Bontrager XR2 team issue front tyre, without it being dead. The rears don’t last as long, of course, but that’s to be expected. If I’m not skidding round each corner like one of the cool kids, rears last at least 1500km’s, for most people that’s probably 4 months riding at least!

grannyjone
    Free Member

There are lots of tarmac sections on my rides. I’ve been told by someone that tarmac wears out knobbly’s quicker than off-road trail. Is this true?

grannyjone
    Free Member

All I’m after is the equivalent of the Spec Ground Control 29 x 2.3’s. I was quite happy with those (apart from the low milage which they wore out at – I think I’d only done less than 2500k.) I don’t remember sliding about and having near-misses all the time like I am with these cheap Mountain King’s.
    I don’t need anything better than the GC’s, but they don’t sell them anymore. Anyone know what is closest ? Am I better off contacting specialized and asking them ?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you are running knobbly tyres at pressures way below their suggested maximum, they will almost certainly wear quicker on tarmac than off-road.

grannyjone
    Free Member

They’re run at 30 psi. So do they wear quick on tarmac instead of off road in terms of the actual time spent on tarmac, or in terms of mileage on tarmac ? If it’s the latter then thats even worse because of the higher average speed on tarmac sections.

That will explain the low mileages I’m getting out of them. There is so much tarmac on my rides.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

El Pimpster is correct.

Had to happen eventually, I suppose.

😆

grannyjone
    Free Member

The purgatory 29er 2.3 grid tyres are still not in stock. Anyone know what the closest thing to a GC 29 x 2.3 is at the moment ?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

29 X 2.3 Purgatory tyres are available with Specialized . The Purgutory Grid is not in stock but it doesn’t sound like you really need the Grid which has a thicker sidewall which adds weight and sidewall sttrength . Unless you have had problems with cuts to the sidewalls of your tyres then the Purgatory Control tyre will be better for you .

jamj1974

Or if you want to run tubeless? I find the Grid version of Specialized tyres to be the only ones that perform well tubeless – even if marked 2bliss…

RustySpanner

Always a good deal somewhere.

I like Smorgs, and the grippier Bontrager and Specialized stuff.

If you can’t get a good deal locally, try ze Germans.

fifeandy
    Free Member

rears last at least 1500km’s, for most people that’s probably 4 months 1 years riding at least!

FTFY

I think I’d only done less than 2500k

Most folk wouldn’t consider that low mileage for a MTB tyre.
    By and large, the trade off for having a rubber compound soft enough to grip off road is that it wears out.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Most folk wouldn’t consider that low mileage for a MTB tyre

2500km not low ?
    I’m used to car tyres doing 15,000 miles plus!

grannyjone
    Free Member

29 X 2.3 Purgatory tyres are available with Specialized . The Purgutory Grid is not in stock but it doesn’t sound like you really need the Grid which has a thicker sidewall which adds weight and sidewall sttrength . Unless you have had problems with cuts to the sidewalls of your tyres then the Purgatory Control tyre will be better for you

I’ve seen these for £20 online (reduced, normal price is £30) if these are like the Ground Control 29x 2.3’s then I’ll by okay with them

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve ordered 2x Purgatory Control 29x 2.3’s for £40. They’re cheap, and they claim to be fast rolling and grippy. I hope they perform just as good as the Ground Control 29 x 2.3’s, which I was quite happy with until they wore out.

grannyjone
    Free Member

2500km not low ?
    I’m used to car tyres doing 15,000 miles plus!

Doesn’t take that long to do 2500k on a mountain bike. Even when only riding intermittently like me. I’m hardly on it every day. 2 times a week, 40k per ride, is the norm.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest replacement for specialized ground control tyres’ is closed to new replies.