Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • dogs. how have i ever lived without one?
  • bobbyspangles

We picked up our new family member from the dogs trust Evesham last Sunday. He is called Ted and a lab/terrier cross with a very amiable personality so far.
    It was a difficult task to choose between all of the dogs that needed loving homes but Ted just stood out, plus it was my grandfathers name therfore fate played a hand too.
    I have always had the company of cats in the past. However giving a home to an animal that is so very active and-so far-loyal, is a fantastic thing.

So to all those dog owners out there….Hello, and to all those doggys…FETCH!

Milkie
    Free Member

Good to hear you and your dog are settling well!!

Now just get yourself signed up for the Citizenship awards at your local dog training place.

Oh and where’s the photos!? 😉

Del

good effort.
    we adopted Sid a year ago. a patterdale terrier. despite his propensity for chasing things, he’s a good little chap. bit simple, but not dissimilar to his owner..

ton

dogs are ace, even tho they a pooh machines.

always had a dog.

kevonakona
    Free Member

This is Digit we get him on Saturday from the Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home. He seems a bit mental and full of energy. Can’t wait.

sslowpace
    Free Member

WE’ve had our Lab for 3 months now. Lovely little fella, although he does love socks…..

Biscuit is ace! That wasnt my Grandads name though.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Always missed having a dog when we lived in Bristol and London.

Within two months of moving back “home” to Cornwall, we had a little black lab puppy. She’s four now and she’s brilliant.

Her breath stinks of rotten dustbins though, despite daily Dentastix.

bobbyspangles

here he is, at the moment though he is flat out on the kitchen floor after chasing hares!

ted by zofiawojciechowska, on Flickr

Woody
    Free Member

Dogs are great – Sophie says hi little fella…….

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dogs are ace and too stupid to realise snowballs aren’t real balls…

Fun to sledge with too…

the-muffin-man

Sledging dogs!…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdJcYTh1rP0[/video]

smiffy

Camouflage!

Drac

Dogs rock!

Is Sophie doing some sort of doggy centre fold shot Woody?

Onzadog
    Free Member

For me, a house isn’t a home without a dog. Ours is currently passed out next to the radiator after a major knee op today.

one-man-and-his-dog
    Free Member

So much fun out riding with them.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLaufUGh-v4[/video]

ojom
    Free Member

Kevin – i was looking on line at Digit today. He looks ace. there was a couple of collie crosses on there that caught the eye too although i have been told that santa is def not bringing me a dog.

Woody
    Free Member

Is Sophie doing some sort of doggy centre fold shot Woody?

She’s from ‘working’ stock Drac!

Took these a few minutes ago
    cheeky tongue

not the flash again

enough

iDave
    Free Member

Two weeks in, Spud here is bloody brilliant

samuri
    Free Member

Totally agreed, awesome creatures.

Let me sleep! by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

spottydog
    Free Member

the-muffin-man are you in vermont? was over that way yesterday with more powder but less dog snowploughs which would have been awesome 🙂

kevonakona
    Free Member

TBC i’ll bring him in sometime. There’s a springer cross who looked brilliant. he’s not on the website. The problem with going there is you want to take them all.

Nobby

We’ve had our Patterdale since April but can’t remember life without her.

[/url][/img]

one-man-and-his-dog
    Free Member

So much fun out riding with them
    .[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLaufUGh-V4[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Nice video! Great dog, great trail 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great vid. Does the dog naturally follow the trail itself or is it a game it knows well?

DezB
    Free Member

Mine always follows the natural line of the trail. Even if it doesn’t know it.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Neither papadirt nor myself had a dog as children – both into our 50s when we adopted JD.

Don’t be fooled by the t-shirt . . .

. . . he’s a lazy little fella . . .

_tom_
    Free Member

Dogs are awesome.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Brilliant, love seeing rescue dogs.

I never had a dog as a child, but my wife (who gre up on a farm always did) so we decided to get a dog 8 years ago. sadly she passed on last year, but we gave her a happy home for her to grow old in. And now we have two more fabulous rescue dogs, Alfie and Charley. Couldn’t imagine life without dogs.

My Stick! by Evil Goat, on Flickr

rarrr by Evil Goat, on Flickr

ojom
    Free Member

Kev – http://www.edch.org.uk/index.php/pets/view/clive/
    Clive looks ace however ” looking for an experienced owner who will give him boundaries. Clive gets on with some other dogs but would prefer to be the only dog in his new home.” is not us sadly.

jacko54321
    Free Member

that sledging video is quality, funniest thing iv’e seen in a long time!

J0N
    Free Member

Bit of a hijack. sorry but…
    Me and my girlfriend would love a dog but we both work full time and can’t really take a dog with us. She grew up with a dog or two but I’ve never had one. GF doesn’t think it’s a good idea as she doesn’t want to leave a dog at home but I’m sure many people must. She works most weekends and I’m off at weekends so the dog would be home alone 4 days at most. Possibly could take it to work some days.
    I’m very open to the idea of a rescue and surely a rescue at home during the day is better than one in the pound.

So what is the general consensus? Better to rescue and leave at home a couple of days or am I/we being selfish?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Can you get home at lunchtime every day? If you can then the dog is only on it’s own for 4 hour stretches. and if that’s part of it’s routine then it will be fine and will cope. As long as you get a type of dog which will handle it, probably not a collie or spaniel.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our Staffie cross is at home from 8ish when I leave until just after 4 when the wife gets back. Most people will tell you that’s too long to leave a dog on their own.

However, he gets an hours walk before work and an hours walk in the evening. He theh spends the evening playing or cuddled up with one of us so he’s not deprived of care, cuddles or company. We don’t ever both go out of an evening as he’s been on his own all day.

He’s looking pretty good on it. Funny thing is, there’s not many dog rescue places would let us have a dog under those conditions!

J0N
    Free Member

Nither of us would get home at lunch time, at least not long term. possible while its settling in.
    I don’t think long stints indoors is an ideal life at all for a dog. However I want(ed) to know what the thinking was about providing this lifestyle for a rescue dog. I am fully aware the dog would need a lot of contact time before being felt for a full day. I would never introduce a new born to this life.
    If the rescue home are against it then maybe it’s a none starter for now.

bobbyspangles

JON. My fiancee and i had the same quandry so i can empathise both with your need for a dog and the need to work!
    We organised with my parents, who live nearby, to dogsit occasionaly and this does not seem to be worrying Ted much but time will tell.
    I might suggest a dog sitter/walker or neighbours might help you out dependant on thier attitude to dogs if this is a non starter then do you have a garden where a shelter can be put up to give the dog somewhere to call home?
    We are learning to not make a fuss of Ted when we either go out or come back as he then will not pine for us when we are out of the house.

good luck.

nickf
    Free Member

Susie came from a rescue home and is a bit of a handful. We both work and have to leave her at home; the only way we could have her is with a daily dog-walker.

(Er, anyone care to tell me why I get red crosses? This is the first time I’ve tried to post a picture and I’m useless with techy stuff)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Mine always follows the natural line of the trail. Even if it doesn’t know it.

What if she picks up a scent Dez? Does she always come when called or is she too busy running the trail to get distracted?

J0N
    Free Member

Very elegant nickf

ton

a very patient labby.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘dogs. how have i ever lived without one?’ is closed to new replies.