Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)
  • Dogs at Trail Centres?
  • mtbfix

I find big, slow groups of over-weight weekend warriors more of an issue. No etiquette on the downs and brought to their knees on the ups.

MussEd
    Free Member

Keeping your dog in between you and another of your group is all well and good but what about when it dives off into the bushes to explore? then bursts back out onto middle of trail in front of some unsuspecting punter who's coming down behind you?

It's happened to me. Not nice, very narrowly avoided hurting me and the dog. Guy said "Oh he's never done that before" then **** off whilst I recovered from a minor cardial infarcation. Just the same glib comment as the three dog owners whose dogs bit me in a former career as a RM postie.

andywarner
    Free Member

Well it's common sense surely. You're not gonna take em on red and black routes. But I would have thought greens and blues were ok. I used to take my collie everywhere but don't think I'd have taken him on serious trails. OTOH I wouldn't take my 2 year old rottie anywhere on a bike as it wouldn't do him any good running at great speed for that amount of time and I think it might worry other people when they see 8 stone of muscle bounding towards them. I know he's soft and friendly but others mayu not see it that way.

firestarter
    Free Member

i just cant see a case for having a dog on a cycle trail at all, the same as i cant see a case for motorcross bikes out on bridleways. maybe its just me tho

Johnbot
    Free Member

Everytime i have met a dog on the trails it has been a good experiance, i have no problem with them as long as they are well trained and are used to bikes.

Drac

Yup I did edit as it's not strictly true, yup I know it was a figure of speech.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I've got 2 dogs and I wouldn't contemplate taking them to a trail centre. I ride with them regularly but they are always heading off on mini-adventures that would cause problems in a busy trail centre. Might cause concentration issues for me as well. So no. IMHO.

neil853
    Free Member

seems to have provoked quite a reaction this?! For the record i just can't see how its a good idea.

midgebait
    Free Member

Like I said. We've had no problems but we've only taken our dog to very quiet trail centres. I think a bit of common sense applies here!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think a bit of common sense applies here!

of which dogs have none ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

To me as a "dog hater" the key thing is is the dog properly trained and under control? If so then its not an issue. If not then don't do it. If the dog will follow you down the trail and not be a risk to anyone else then whats the problem?

You do realise that as a dog owner you are liable for any injuries and damage the dog causes – so if he knocks someone off because of a lack of control of the dog then it could be expensive.

I've seen dogs at trail centres that are perfectly fine and safe and having a good time.

firestarter
    Free Member

tj i think the key is in the 'purpose built cycle trail' bit tbh 😉

midgebait
    Free Member

TJ, as a dog owner that seems a remarkably reasonable post for STW!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I wouldn't take mine to a trail centre even though she's impeccably trained and great with mountain bikes in general. Never gets in the way, seems to understand the activity and can be controlled with one word at any point.

Going biking with a dog is a real joy – as long as you follow the caveats already mentioned on here.

It's just that trail centres are purpose made for biking. Can be narrow, technical and twisty so you wouldn't want any dog in the mix would you? I did take her for a lap of the Puffer course at about 4am. It was fairly quiet and no-one seemed to mind and the marshalls were happy with it. Hadn't planned to but 24hrs of watching bikes go by and not being able to run after them would have been too much!

PS if you're going quick down a narrow singletrack and there's a dog in the way you're better off holding your line and letting the dog get out of the way. If it doesn't – tough.

shepleg
    Free Member

Not the best idea have almost been taken out by dogs on several occasions round Cwmcarn and had to bunny hop a jack russell to avoid it on the last downhill 😯 but that was dog walkers.
    Really close to big crashes each time trying to avoid them.
    Even if the dog is really well trained and following you, how fast are you going round the blind corner downhill?
    I'm sure there of plenty of people who are going a f##k of a lot quicker and coming upon your dog which isn't as visible as you.
    I love dogs and would hate to injure one and myself too so probably best avoid trail centres for you, your dogs and other riders sakes. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

midgebait – Member

TJ, as a dog owner that seems a remarkably reasonable post for STW!

Sorry must try harder!

DezB
    Free Member

Most dogs will run themselves to death if they're following you, they won't stop when they're knackered

This always comes up and I find it quite bizarre. If my dog is with me on a bike ride she runs, she slows, she occasionally stops, then runs some more.
    If my dog is with me on a walk she runs, she slows, she occasionally stops, then runs some more!
    You'd never keep such a constant pace mtbing that would destroy a dog! Unless its a bloody daschund.

Anyway, I'd never take my dog to a trail centre. Too far a car journey.

nosedive
    Free Member

everyone has an opinion! someone will mention inconsiderate dog walkers with those magic extending leads in a minute….

fotorat
    Free Member

Hitting a dog on a bike is quite safe to the rider, I only have experience of running over dogs on full sus and suspect it might be a bit trickier on a hard tail

I have even hit a large labrador at least 9 stone and the same happened as when I went over a spaniel with both wheels.

As with all obstacles you need to keep your weight far back and lock the bars rock solid so that the front wheel doesnt get deflected, with this technic the dogs drop like stones and confirm with one squeal when the front wheel goes over and another when the back wheel goes over.

Since I am a dog lover I have since invetsed in the Airzound, and I have not mowed a dog down since (excluding a heavy glancing blow to the hind quarters of an alsation 3 weeks ago.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=4&src=froogle

my most able dog squisher is my Cannondale Prophet

and these guys make so much noise anyway I doubt anyone would even notice

Dougal
    Free Member

tj i think the key is in the 'purpose built cycle trail' bit tbh

So does being on a purpose built trail give you some sort of magic right of way over all other users? If you see a walker, or a horse, or a dog on the trail, you slow down and consider the situation, you don't plough on through then try to take the incident to accident claims when it all goes tits up.

Fair enough on the blind corner thing, but then I've run over weekend warriors who've binned it just after blind corners. There will always be an element of unknown even at a trail centre, and unless the FC ban dogs (which legally they can't do, just like other trail users), then all parties are going to have to take responsibility.

Have hit dogs twice (both times on the Water of Leith) where the owner was not in control of their animal, one time I came off. The worst thing was the dumbass owner wasn't even interested in checking his dog was OK.

Extending leads – Don't get me started.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wouldn't do it in peak season at a weekend but I've done it off peak on a week day. More for the dogs sake than anyone else's. Never had any trouble.

firestarter
    Free Member

dougal what are you on about ? at a purpose built trail center you dont have other users only bikers . unless im mistaken or lucky but ive never seen a horse or walker on the gisburn red/black route.

i hope your right tho our lass would love to follow me round dalby and gisburn on the horse with the dogs in tow

glenp
    Free Member

Totally wrong mick. Purpose built trail centre is not a bikes only race track. Walkers might stray on and they would not be in the wrong. You need to be ready to slow down and/or stop. Nothing wrong with taking a dog round. It is a recreational facility, not a race track. Go fast if it is clear, otherwise just wait a few mins until it is clear.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I disagree glen (again) – on a *bike* trail bikes have right of way and are the expected user. People crossing/using the path are informed by signs (in all the ones I've been at where it might be a problem) that they are bike trails, you'd have to be an idiot to use them and then expect equal rights. I don't go to a karting circuit and expect to be allowed to walk about freely, it's space set aside for one sport – it might be legal for you to walk along them but it is inconsiderate and stupid to do so. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that a cycle trail is just that, not a mixed-use trail. And I wholely disagree that it isnt a race track. It's a purpose built track for cycling, off road. Why should I have to ride always able to stop for a stray dog and owner when they shouldn't be there? Sure there could be a crashed cyclist or a fallen tree, but that's part of the risk of cycling (on both the other cyclist and me) but to put an ADDITIONAL risk into the mix is irresponsible. I happily see them joining a biker on a beginner route, or a long slow intermediate, but reds and blacks are there for fast flowing technical riding, not dodging dogs.

mboy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

To me as a "dog hater" the key thing is is the dog properly trained and under control? If so then its not an issue. If not then don't do it. If the dog will follow you down the trail and not be a risk to anyone else then whats the problem?

You do realise that as a dog owner you are liable for any injuries and damage the dog causes – so if he knocks someone off because of a lack of control of the dog then it could be expensive.

I've seen dogs at trail centres that are perfectly fine and safe and having a good time.

Crikey! This post has reason, it even has substance… You feeling ok TJ? 😉

Seriously though, I have to say I agree… I'm no dog lover, but don't mind some dogs. If a dog is at all over excitable, or yappy, or bitey or whatever, I REALLY don't like them. If the dog is just happy minding its own business, and is of a gentle nature, I can get on with them quite well.

Psling made a good point about some people who "expect that everyone else loves their dog too". It's generally these dogs that are the over excitable ones, or loud, or aggressive etc. And I'd kick up a fuss if anyone wanted to bring a dog like that riding anywhere with me to be honest!

But I've ridden with other people and their dogs, which have been nothing less than a pleasure. Did Cwm Carn with lookmanohands off this forum and one of his dogs just after Christmas. His dog was very well natured, didn't get in the way, but not only that provided a few funny moments in a "how do I deal with this obstacle" kind of way that often 4 legged creatures do that we bipeds take for granted… Suspect his dog would also destroy anyone on an MTB round a lap of Cwm Carn too… Fit as a butchers dog? And some!

rickon
    Free Member

Another different view to this, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on this thread…

Dependent on the dog be careful on the amount of high-impact excercise you expose them to. e.g. labs have a pre-disposition to joint stress, and a lot of dogs to hip dysplasia.

I've taken my collies out on a lot of riding, proper mountain stuff and trail centres. They're incredibly intelligent, very courteous, have a good respect for bikes – so much so that I always have comments about how good they are, and wanting to say hello.

Although I did have some chap at Winlatter slag mmyself and my girfriend off for ruining 20 seconds of his ride by one dog going too slow for him, not minding that she was stuck to the back wheel of my missuses bike… so it was my missus going too slow.

That said, I love taking them out – it's great exercise, but i'm limiting them to 25k at the moment, and trying to steer away from lots of fast riding on fireroads. My dogs have picked up a couple of injuries (just muscle pulls from turning too quick) in the past from mtb'ing, and you don't know the impact on their joints at a later stage.

I've seen how quickly a dog as resilient as a collie can deteriorate from over working (farm dogs), and i'd dread to think how dogs with a pre-disposition like Labs would fair when they get to senior life.

In general I think it just takes a little common sense, if it's tight single track and it's busy just leave em behind, or change the route. My dogs much prefer proper hill stuff around the Beacons really.

And the same kind of common sense applies to riders, if I'm behind someone slow and unpredictable at a trail centre I back off, chill out for a bit then carry on – it really isn't a race. The same applies to dogs.

Trail centres are there for people to have fun and enjoy, some people like to do that with dogs – a little understanding from both sides is needed. Just relax a little and take note that some people like different things.

glenp
    Free Member

You get all kinds of bike riders at a trail centre. I might take my kids round – I don't expect some dick to come racing round a corner and be unable to avoid colliding with them, for example. It isn't a race track. Any comparison with a kart track or whatever is just a dumb comparison. A race track is a controlled, marshalled environment – not just a strip of dirt in the country built to be suitable for bikes.

Neither do I, or should anyone else, accept that if I end up on the ground on a built trail that I may be run over as part of the normal risk. That's just a selfish cock attitude.

firestarter
    Free Member

if a dog gets in my way on a bike trail then i'll need a new front wheel 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Trail centres are there for people to have fun and enjoy, some people like to do that with dogs – a little understanding from both sides is needed. Just relax a little and take note that some people like different things.

You're at a location SPECIFICALLY for cycling. Not cycling with dogs. if you want to cycle with a dog, go to somewhere that isnt a trail centre. Everyone expects to see dogs out on normal trails/bridleways, they go TO trail centres to AVOID other trail users and get bike-specific fun. Dont be inconsiderate of them trying to find one spot without other types of users to avoid.

Neither do I, or should anyone else, accept that if I end up on the ground on a built trail that I may be run over as part of the normal risk. That's just a selfish cock attitude.

Its a perfectly reasonable possibility and a risk I'm willign to take. If you want to take kids to a trail centre, take the green routes until they are capable of looking after themselves. It's selfish to expect everyone else to slow down for you. If someone ploughs into me when I've crashed I dont get up and complain at them, that would be childish and stupid, I CRASHED and got in their way. I'm not suggesting purposefully being dangerous, but to expect everyone to be on tip-toes round each bend because they can't quite see in time to stop you're being ridiculous. It's a trail there for a high speed, technically demanding sport that has some risks. One of those risks is being hit if you crash. If you don't like it, stick to bridleways or green routes.

glenp
    Free Member

if a dog gets in my way on a bike trail then I'll need a new front wheel

If you broke your front wheel on my dog you'd need new front teeth.

firestarter
    Free Member

if a dog made me need a front wheel then the owner would need some new teeth too 😉

especially after being on a purpose built funking cycle trail

firestarter
    Free Member

fight fight fight …

midgebait
    Free Member

Seems a good time to leave this thread as it's turned into the usual STW bitchfest 🙄

glenp
    Free Member

I wouldn't dream of taking kids before they could look after themselves, but the way they look after themselves is to ride at a speed they can control. If that happens to be slower than you then you're just going to have to find a convenient place to pass or wait a wee while to get your own clear space.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I wouldn't dream of taking kids before they could look after themselves, but the way they look after themselves is to ride at a speed they can control. If that happens to be slower than you then you're just going to have to find a convenient place to pass or wait a wee while to get your own clear space.

That's fine, if as a responsible parent you're ensuring that they can generall keep up with the pace of riders on a red route, that's part of the "risk assessment" you should make. You dont see push-bikes on the motorway because its reasonable to assume cars may want to travel fast and you'll be in the way on a bike. Same applies with red/black routes.

rickon
    Free Member

It's selfish to expect everyone else to slow down for you.

Nice.

It's a trail centre for people of mixed abilities. Chill out.. less coffee perhaps 😉

Like a lot of people on STW i've been to my fair share of races, but i expect people to be slower than myself – you just wait for a good opportunity to pass, where it's safe and do so.

If you read further up my post, I condone leaving your dogs behind if it's gonna be at all busy, which i do myself.

firestarter
    Free Member

personally when i go to a trail center i go so i dont have to think about routes/horses/dogs/walkers/mx rider etc i only worry about falling off and slowing people down 😉

glenp
    Free Member

No. Not keep up with riders. That's irrelevant. They will ride at whatever speed they personally are comfortable with. There are always riders faster than you, and plenty of them. They just aren't usually so selfish as to expect you to jump out of their way.

A motorway is another spurious and silly comparison. We are talking about leisure facilities put in for us all to enjoy. That takes consideration.

coffeeking
    Free Member

They just aren't usually so selfish as to expect you to jump out of their way.

No, you see thats the attitude in question. I dont *expect* others to jump out of my way, I expect to jump out of other peoples way if needs be. I accept that I may be slower and may have to move for a faster person, thats MY problem, not theirs. I accept my personal responsibility to keep out of other peoples way when on a fast cycle-only location. I don't expect my lack of skill or fitness to impinge on other peoples ride when they may have driven for hours to get there etc. There are other places to ride if you want people to be all nice and soft and squishy with you, like the beginners trails or non-cycle specific routes.

A motorway is another spurious and silly comparison. We are talking about leisure facilities put in for us all to enjoy. That takes consideration.

It's not spurious/silly at all, it's a sensible comparison. Motorways are put there for everyone to commute on, as are the roads. That may be for leisure or business, but they're there for us all to use IF we are suitably equipped with both skills and vehicle.

firestarter
    Free Member

a bit like dogs on a cycle track ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘Dogs at Trail Centres?’ is closed to new replies.