Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • dog training tips
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

so far in less than 4 months we’ve gone from positive reinforcement to clicker training, to whistle training to gun dog training.

how did/do you train your dog and what are your dogs relative strengths/weaknesses?

🙂

jam-bo

strengths: can run with the bike for hours
    weaknesses: waitresses

philconsequence
    Free Member

you talking about yourself or the dog jam bo? (also, what type of training did you do?)

sharkbait
    Free Member

how did/do you train your dog and what are your dogs relative strengths/weaknesses?

Just used a few treats to train our Cocker to return to the whistle 100% of the time.
    In gundog training I find that throwing a ball/stick/whatever can be quite dog for sending them left or right into cover.
    Jasmine’s strengths: Works tirelessly all day, will happily sit at the peg untethered for 30 mins if I’m shooting, returns to the whistle very well, will sit and stay while I walk 100m away before calling her, good retrieving.
    Weaknesses: Follows birds that she has flushed a bit far, sometimes works too far ahead of me – but she’s a Cocker, you have to watch them like a hawk especially early in the day when they’re ready to explode.
    She is only two though so not really expected to be 100% brilliant at that age.
    [My eldest daughter has also taught her to shake hands and do a high 5 👿 ]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Strengths: lots
    Weaknesses: none

Milkie
    Free Member

Gundog training at 4 months old surely not??

philconsequence
    Free Member

nahh we rescued him less than 4 months ago, he’s probably about a year and a half old so we’re working against an unknown past in which he ended up on the ‘put to sleep list’ in a pound in Ireland.

DezB
    Free Member

Did some classes, got a “dog whisperer” in (to stop the pulling on the lead (didn’t work)), treat training, clicker training.
    Aggressive shouting worked best for me 🙂

Forgot – strengths: Er, trailhounding
    Weaknesses – Cats

Milkie
    Free Member

I have access to one dog and one puppy.. Mother trained both, she is a dog trainer.

The dog is a Springer Spaniel called Cloud. Very well trained, click/whistle/hands/voice.. She gets trophies regularly as country fairs and pays her way in food by winning it. Weakness… Freakin Tennis Balls!

Puppy is a Chocolate Cocker called Rain. It’s a puppy so I can’t say its well trained yet! But at 5 months she does sits for over 1 min and all dog citizen stuff upto silver. Weakness… The bigger dog Cloud.

russianbob
    Free Member

DezB – how much was a dog whisperer? Did it work?

DezB
    Free Member

Was a while ago now – I seem to remember being pleasantly surprised at how cheap it was, but can’t for the life of me remember how much that was!
    Some of his tips definitely worked… stopping her barking at people walking past was one. (Don’t shout at dog, respond and reassure)

Couple of others weren’t so successful – stop her jumping up to look for food in the kitchen by shaking a plastic bottle full of stones. Nope – my shouting was much more effective. Until the day I came home to find the slow cooker in bits on the floor surrounded by a gravy/dog tongue blood mixture.

Pulling on the lead – he did show us how to get a Halti on easily, but his advice to stop every time she pulled just never worked. Neither us nor the dog had the patience for it. The dog doesn’t pull me, but the wife gets tugged around everywhere. 🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

be calm,be consistent,you eat first,own the door,when on lead do not let them walk in front make sure their tired,the rest just follows. 😀

russianbob
    Free Member

@DezB – same as me, our GSP pulls my wife but not me. Jumping up at people coming into the house is a problem. Have heard and the stones in a bottle thing, he’s only 8mths so will wait a while and see how things go.

Milkie
    Free Member

All of those problems should be easily sorted at your local dog training where they do dog citizenship’s. Well worth doing the awards, it’s not just about training the dogs, its about training the dogs and owners.

DezB
    Free Member

Jumping up at people coming into the house is a problem

That’s quite an easy one to get them out of. Anyone coming in has to be told to turn away as soon as the dog looks like jumping up. (Stronger folk can just stick a gentle knee out first) They do it for the attention, so if it makes people turn away they stop doing it.
    (Disclaimer: This is probably old school training now, so other ideas are available 😉 )

DezB
    Free Member

make sure their (sic) tired

Something tells me pitduck is not a GSP owner 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Our lurcher

strengths: really fast when coming back
    weaknesses: really fast when running away

russianbob
    Free Member

Cheers DezB

pitduck
    Free Member

no not gsp?,Rhodesian ridge-back cross staff,20 miles no problem,tiring her out aint easy 😀

Helios
    Free Member

Rhodesian ridge-back cross staff

Anyone else concerned about the pure logistics of crossing a Ridgeback with a staffie? That’s a fair few copies of the yellow pages…

pitduck
    Free Member

you need to be patient 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘dog training tips’ is closed to new replies.