• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by LAT.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Visa canada?
  • Blower
    Free Member

easy to get one?

im a simple bricklayer, with a slightly dodgy past ahem. 🙂 😯

wysiwyg
    Free Member

no

whattyre
    Free Member

Just fly there they’ll give you one when u land…tourist? and how bad is your past?

BearBack
    Free Member

working holiday visa easy if you’re quick enough.
    over 35 and you’re SOL

Bricklayer.. possibly other options open, but you’d likley need a job offer as a skilled labourer.
    We dont build many brick houses here though.

if you’ve a criminal record, specifically DUI.. then you’re pretty much a no go.
    US citizens with DUI’s are unlikely to be allowed entry even as tourists..

nicko74

Could be wrong, but pretty certain it’s 30 for the working holiday visa (BUNAC).

We dont build many brick houses here though.

So very true. I ask Canadians if they’ve ever read the Three Little Pigs, and they all look at me like I’ve grown an extra head.

slackalice
    Free Member

Although a very reasonable amount of money will always get you anything, anywhere. Legally too.

IIRC, there are immigration agencies in most of their cities. Pay them their required fees and they will process your application. To support your application, as a bricklayer/tradesman, with an offer of work, you will more than likely have to prove that you can support yourself and dependants for at least 1 year financially. If self-employed, it used to be at least 2 years and with a business plan and funding to support the business aswell.

It’s a big country, go on holiday and head into the backcountry… May I suggest somewhere like New Denver or Kaslo in BC… No one looks there 😀

4ags4
    Free Member

daughter currently out there on a student visa which was a real ballache getting sorted.
    can’t imagine the pain of having to do one to work/emigrate!!

markgraylish
    Free Member

Although a very reasonable amount of money will always get you anything, anywhere. Legally too. IIRC, there are immigration agencies in most of their cities. Pay them their required fees and they will process your application. To support your application, as a bricklayer/tradesman, with an offer of work, you will more than likely have to prove that you can support yourself and dependants for at least 1 year financially. If self-employed, it used to be at least 2 years and with a business plan and funding to support the business aswell.

What!!!!! I presume you are taking the piss because this “advice” is useless….

walleater

It’s amazing how much money people will throw at immigration lawyers. We had some unofficial lawyer help with my permanent residency but the main advice was just to read the forms properly.

Unless you can get a working holiday Visa (yes, dropped to 30 years of age IIRC…the year after I came over) then you are probably screwed. If you do make it over and want to stay, you’ll have to submit a UK criminal records check which judging by the opening post might be a problem!

_tom_
    Free Member

The working holiday visa was quite easy to get, it just took a while.

JCL
    Free Member

They’re turning away thousands these days. If you’ve got a criminal record I wouldn’t waste your time.

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve just returned from Calgary which is booming again, tower cranes all over downtown.

When I worked there we had to fight over the 2 teams of english brickies there were in town, these guys just stuck concrete stone lookalike onto concrete walls as it was deemed noone else could do it 😕

I had a police report thing in my documents when I went over but no one ever looked at it

Thats my experience anyway

Blower
    Free Member

cheers for replys.

im 37 in april.

last time was done was 1998 so a while ago now.hmmm

BearBack
    Free Member

cheers for replys.

im 37 in april.

last time was done was 1998 so a while ago now.hmmm

Without a job offer and whatever the current version of a provincial nominee aproval… or 100k to loan to the government while you set up your own entreprenurial business.. then I’d suggest you’ll struggle.

Even if you want to come do a 6month holiday visit, i’d still look into wether or not dui’s will mean you are elegible for entry before hopping on a flight.

from above – BUNAC is 30, but its not the only working holiday visa option. Governemnt of canada has their own program… upto 35

aye-aye
    Free Member

Hi BearBack (Johnny?)
    What’s the best email to contact you about a Canada/BearBack question?
    Cheers Ed

wrecker
    Free Member

Avoid Vancouver. Although quite nice, it’s still just another major city and speculators have pushed property to obscene prices.

JCL
    Free Member

Fixed.

Avoid Vancouver. Although quite nice, it’s still just another major city and unregulated Asian immigration have pushed property to obscene prices.

sweaman2
    Free Member

My own take… it’s tough and I didn’t have anything remotely dodgy in my past.

If you apply for residency from outside it will take years (literally) so you need a work permit. To get a permit you need a company to want to employ you and they have to prove that no-one in Canada could do the same job. (There are some trades / skills where this doesn’t apply as Canada knows it’s short; the list is somewhere on the CIC website)

Even with a company “sponsoring you” it can take over a year. I’ve found immigration lawyers to be useful in my limited experience but choose wisely.. Canada has a lot of shysters….

LAT

Take this Test and see what your result is,

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Visa canada?’ is closed to new replies.