Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Dog thread – what do you feed yours?
  • scotabroad

Have a small/ medium sized hound (Basset Fauve de Bretagne) which is an pretty active dog and needs a good 90 mins to two hours walking a day. We have had him about 5 months now and have used various feeds he will only eat certain wet foods (Pedigree chum) and dry foods (Wag)

I just wondered what the dog owners on here feed their pets and how fussy are they? What fresh foods do you use? Ours goes nuts for roast chicken tit bits or eggs, but not much else, he is not food motivated at all.

bigbloke
    Free Member

We have 2 Boxers which we feed a mix of both dry and wet food at the same time but in reduced portions than on the packets…..we use Chudleys Classic Complete with half a tub of Nature Diet each feed for each dog twice a day. Seems a good compromise as they get a bit of both.

usually foreign children, they are nutritious, healthy and cheap. just remember to shave their heads otherwise its a NIGHTMARE to poopascoop. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Wag is cheap awful horrible stuff, I used Baker’s for our Lab when she was alive but switched to IAMS for our Border Terrier. He loves it looks well for it, even the woman we adopted him through noticed a difference and due to his size a bag last ages.

He was on Chum when we got him but it stinks, makes them fart and isn’t that great for them by all accounts it may have even been one of the causes of his mystery skin allergy. Since taking off it his got his hair back on his underside but we’ve also changed other things so maybe not.

muggomagic

I’ve a rough collie and he is raw fed, he also has dinner scraps. Has been since he was a pup. To date he’s had no health problems and only 1 vet visit when he twisted his leg badly doing agility.
    There are a load of benefits health wise apparently but best of all is that he never smells (breath or arse) and his teeth are spotless and best of all it’s dirt cheap. I can get around 10-14 carcasses for around £3

glenp
    Free Member

Complete foods are great in my experience, although there is a range from cheap to extravagant so I guess there must be degrees of goodness.

Anyhow, mine gets one feed a day of Autarky Chicken & Rice – just dry, as it comes. A few biscuits during the day and scraps every now and then, but very little. I think it is better to just stick to the same food.

GW
    Free Member

cats

anagallis_arvensis

as gets a small amount of raw minced rabbit, (which comes in a frozen block for about 80p which is enough for a week) mixed with erm….Wainwrights which is Pets at home own brand and is the cheapest of the more expensive dog food.
    she does alright on it.

soobalias
    Free Member

dobermann loves his “james welbeloved – lamb&rice”

tis pricey but
    garbage in garbage out, you could play golf with my dogs eggs

donsimon
    Free Member

Little children…

jumping1 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr

spacemonkey

Check out Iams – that’s what we’ve been using for years. If it really is as nutritious as they say, then it’s well worth it all round. Sure, it costs a bit more, but the animal will less. IME they’re healthier, happier, shinier etc. Have a look at their www.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On James Wellbeloved here too with Molly.

She decided to turn her nose up at Nature’s Menu – I tried the “she’ll eat it when she’s hungry enough” approach but she pwned me 😳

Currently wolfing down the JW “Turkey and Rice” kibble though and in great form.

khani
    Free Member

iams here, it’s dog polish in a bag

LHS
    Free Member

Arden Grange for our chocolate Lab. Expensive but seemingly very good on experience. We also mix is food with a lot of fresh stuff too – veg, rice, yoghurt, eggs.

Karinofnine

another James Welbeloved here – she has the senior light which has 18% protein. I used to feed her higher until I found out about this. She has raw broccoli for treats/snacks – she loves it, also honeydew melon and raw cauliflower stumps. Mad.

amplebrew

James Wellbeloved for our Rossi and Oli.

We then give them raw carrots as treats.

Rossi our springer is also partial to eating fruit.

ton

molly is a IAMS dog.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Beta light here, and not much of it as she’s a lab and pretty much eats everything else she finds on the floor anyway.

trout
    Free Member

Cobby dog supreme meaty chunks
    Plus left overs from dinnertime

http://www.cobbydog.com/productpage.php?prod_id=13

winston_dog
    Free Member

I have 2 westies who are fed Burns chicken and rice, mixed with a small amount of leftover chicken and veg if there is any.. They also get a tin of sardines split between them a couple of times a week.
    I did try them on the fish and rice version but they smelt like old trawler deck boards after eating it.
    I was advised when they were pups to buy a good quality dry food. Apparently wet food has been linked to cancer which is quite common in dogs.

scotabroad

Sorry did forget to say in OP that he eats IAMS as well, tis pricey though. Perhaps will start mixing this with wet food and talk to the butcher to see what options he has for dogs.

Cheers

S

joolsburger
    Free Member

Ours is on Oscar Pinnacle of life and she looks well. We also treat her to a scraps meal on Sunday and the odd bit of leftovers in the week. Not the cheapest but very good I think.

iDave
    Free Member

Bakers Complete having starved himself when offered anything else

ridingscared
    Free Member

Burns. Apparently its ethically sound as well I’m told.

TooTall
    Free Member

Iams and carrots for ours – loves them and they keep his teeth in tippety top condition.

Have a look at what is in your dog’s food – Iams is the only one I’ve found that has protein as the largest constituent – the rest seem to have an awful lot of fillers in them.

Karinofnine

TooTall, be careful about protein content. A grown up dog who does regular exercise only needs 18%. The vet confirmed that too, not just internet chatter. Of course, your dogs may be proper working dogs, in which case they may well need more than 18%.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s a make called “Symply” which we hope to have Molly eating soon.

LeeW

We give our two Lurchers Berrimans dried food mixed with a spoon of Natures Menu tinned wet food. It’s a premium holistic food which works a treat. People are always commenting on how glossy their coats are, the vet is impressed with their general condition and we have no ‘food related’ problems as our other vet calls them – We also use a homeopathic vet because Ishka was incredibly poorly treated by what I can only say are scum.

We used to give them Autarky dried food which was as good as Berrimans and the only other food which didn’t send them bonkers/skitish. It’s half the price of other premium foods – when you can get it it’s around £20 per 15kg bag. We only stopped using it as we couldn’t get it very often.

Autarky website

We’ve tried almost every other premium food you can think of, almost all of them turn Ishka in to the most skitish hound you could imagine. Even sunlight coming through the blinds in the living room freak her out, and that’s on a good day.

bruneep

Archie the Westie is on Hills mini bites. He does fine on that. Vet did say to avoid all tinned food as its full of salt, fat and nae much else.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Amplebrew – OT sort of; but what breed is the dog next to the Springer?

z1ppy

+1 for Burns dry dog food, currently chicken and brown rice. Though any dry dog food seems to make “poo picking” an entirely more acceptable experience.
    If you want cheap but still decent for plenty of energy, check out your local farmers/horse supplies place for (again dry) working dog food – George was on this until he had to slow down (old age and worn joints)

Sandwich

Wellbeloved veg and meat varieties in the foil bags and the odd pouch for Huxley

Suggsey
    Free Member

My two Cockers haave been fed on all sorts over the years but all from the premium brands- check out Orijen from Canada very expesnive and too much protein for my pair, made them itch like mad (73 percent meat).
    They seem to really enjoy Wainwrights (Pets at home own premium dry food) and it has ceased the itching and increased the stool size to make sure anal glands get a proper emptying.(they are that age)
    Try a couple of Weetabix and goats milk as a treat mine love it along with any fresh veg especially brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage hearts and carrots. The bitch loves oranges, strawberries, and tomatoes and apple(both only when peeled). The dog is not so enthusiastic for such treats but then he is not food motivated unless you are holding a kebab or pizza 😛

Dolcered

Our 33kg GSD is on Vitalin dry food complete, it has joint care in it, may have some benefits for shepherds and their hips. As a treat she loves tuna chicken or cheese! She thinks all her birthdays have come at once if she happens upon a spilt bag of chips.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Terriers. Raw meaty bones. Mostly chicken. They eat bones, skin, the lot. Occasional offal too. We don’t eat processed rubbish so don’t see why the dogs should either. Like us, the dogs are lean, fast and strong.

I trust vets as much as I do doctors – excellent for interventions, hopeless for nutrition…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Burns dry here as well, mixed with some Forthglate moist food. We did try Oscar on just dry food, but he seems to prefer some moist mixed in as well. Burns came very highly recommended from everyone we spoke to. Not the cheapest option, but not stupidly expensive either.

Burns moist food is excellent, but very expensive. Wish we could afford to feed him that as it is very good quality. It looks like “normal” food and all the ingredients are there to see, rather than mushed up pulp that most dog food is.

scotabroad

Flap jack the breeder recomended raw chicken wings to build him up and to get a good coat on him, I read with interest all you feed your dog is raw meat/ bones. Where do you get them?

Our hound eats Butchers tinned – he was on dry food, but it didn’t agree with his digestive system. His poo’s weren’t as unpleasant, but he struggled to ‘go’.

Don’t think I’ve seen a shinier coat on any other dog, so he’s certainly not unhealthy on it.

andygreener

Another one here for hills science plan along with the odd sprout or handful or petit pois

emac65
    Free Member

Boxer- Pound of unwashed tripe in the morning,it’s stinky ‘orrible stuff but dogs love it.Then he has a bowl full of greyhound complete dog food for the rest of the day,he snacks on this when he feels like it we just top it up everyday.On top of that he has few treats,some scraps & a cheap piece of frying steak at the weekend…He gets walked a fair bit too & comes jogging with me 2-3 times a week.Vet reckons he bang on the money weight wise…He also sleeps about 20 hrs a day….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Dog thread – what do you feed yours?’ is closed to new replies.