Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Dog owners….
  • grumm
    Free Member

Presumably this is the kid’s fault for not looking where he was going?

A YOUNG Morecambe boy was almost garroted recently after cycling into an extendable dog lead strung across the quiet cul-de-sac where here lives.

Now dog wardens at Lancaster City Council are urging pet owners to take special care when using the leads, which can extend to as much as 30 metres.

Isaac Hargreaves, aged six, suffered deep rope burns to his neck and one shoulder, as well as bruises to his back, after riding into an extendable lead only a short distance from his front door on Salisbury Clse, Heaton-with-Oxcliffe.

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk:80/news/morecambe-and-district-news/boy_cyclist_almost_strangled_by_dog_lead_1_2226421

Torminalis
    Free Member

I have always thought those leads are bad for dogs and bad for everyone near them. Leads for people who have no control over their dogs.

I suppose you think they should be banned?

surfer
    Free Member

Thats awful.

I was out running once and got attacked by a jack russell. Give the horrible thing a flick and the owner took exception. Threw one of those extendable leads at me and it hit me in the face. Gave me a black eye and a cut!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

a flick

What..you bent down and “flicked it”? I’d have just booted it myself 🙂

Blacklug
    Free Member

Ban all dogs I say.

bassspine
    Free Member

the leads should be coloured flourescent for better visibility

iDave
    Free Member

I’d have given it a chinese burn

grumm
    Free Member

I suppose you think they should be banned?

I think dogs and their owners should be put down. 😐

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nah, the dogs are cool. Just ban the owners 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the leads should be coloured flourescent for better visibility

Ah…the voice of reason in the thread. Like how guy lines for tents are done. Good plan, I’m off the Dragon’s Den. Ah’m oot!

Torminalis
    Free Member

I think dogs and their owners should be put down.

And you had previously seemed like such a nice guy.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve become quite adept at catching them under the chin making that funny noise when their jaws a smacked together! 👿

donsimon
    Free Member

As a dog owner I hate those leads. I nearly had the same happen to me a few years ago, not a nice thing to happen.
    kala17-02 041 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr
    Dogs are ace.

carlos
    Free Member

Wasn’t this actually caused by some pr1ck tying it between 2 lamposts or something and not actualy a dog running about??

Think they got metre and foot mixed up too!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Was on the local news the other night. Apparently the female owner had allowed the dog to run across the road, she was obviously too lazy to actually cross the lane with the dog.
    Young lad has some horrible scarring now, father reckons it will last into adulthood.

Extendable leads are dangerous i reckon & just allow laziness where dog control is needed.

carlos
    Free Member

I stand corrected then.

swavis

I’m not keen on those leads either after one of my own dogs being nearly garroted when it tried to escape from a snappy little b@stard on the other end of one.

large418
    Free Member

the leads have a use, allowing a dog a bit of freedom to stop and sniff. But they have to be used with care, for the reasons in the OP.

I like them, my missus doesn’t.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i agree with the post above, i have a hard lead about 2m long max, its shit!!

i think its nice for the dog to be able to have a little more freedom ie 5m or so to have sniff and not being dragged about.

my dogs still a pup and wants to sniff everything. hes getting a little better now but still hard when he wants to stop every 2 seconds for a tree sniff 🙂 just down to the owners once again 🙂

like screaming kids in tesco! most of the time its not the kid, its the parents with lack of control 🙂

plumber
    Free Member

When I was a kid we never used leads

We trained our dogs properly

innit

Plum

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ban dogs
    Ban leads
    Ban owners
    Ban complaining
    Ban posting on forum.

Hell, just nuke it all.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’d have given it a chinese burn

This is the kind of casual racism I’ve come to expect on this site.

donsimon
    Free Member

Ban banning!

samuri
    Free Member

Ban dogging!

We have one of those leads though. They’re great. The dog can run about a bit but you’re always in control of them. Great for when you’re somewhere that you don’t have 100% faith in the dog or the things going on around you.

If a kid got caught up on one of these leads because the owner wasn;t paying attention, that’s the owners fault, not the lads.

Extendible leads don’t garrote people, inattentive idiots do.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

surfer – Member Thats awful.

I was out running once and got attacked by a jack russell. Give the horrible thing a flick and the owner took exception. Threw one of those extendable leads at me and it hit me in the face. Gave me a black eye and a cut!

I would have killed the dog and the owner for that and eat their hearts raw tbh. But only if it was raining. 😈

BenjiM

Had this happen the other night when I was riding along some fire road on the local fell, owner had an extendable lead on the dog and was letting it run all over the place including backwards and forwards in front of me. Granted it wasn’t at neck height but a bit dangerous otherwise.

user-removed
    Free Member

Don bags! No, Dan bogs!!

donsimon
    Free Member

If a kid got caught up on one of these leads because the owner wasn;t paying attention, that’s the owners fault, not the lads.

Or the dog’s.

I would have killed the dog and the owner for that and eat their hearts raw tbh. But only if it was raining.

That’s just internet bravado, isn’t it? You wouldn’t really kill a dog, would you? Or the owner for that matter. 🙄

Have you ever considered that your actions contributed to the attack, a dog will chase something that is running, if you had stopped running away from the dog, it might not have tried to corral you. Just a thought. I ride/rode past a guard dog that went crazy when I was on the bike, one day I stopped, got off and approached the dog. It stopped the aggression and now I have no problems when passing it. The owner throwing the lead was a complete knobber in this case, too.

epicyclo

don simon – Member
    …I ride/rode past a guard dog that went crazy when I was on the bike, one day I stopped, got off and approached the dog. It stopped the aggression

I do much the same. I greet every dog that comes near, and rarely have a problem. If it is aggressive I get off the bike and invite it to come over and let it sniff my hand. Thereafter any time I pass that dog, a greeting will do.

Don, handsome little Staffy – the dog world’s great enthusiasts.

surfer
    Free Member

Have you ever considered that your actions contributed to the attack, a dog will chase something that is running, if you had stopped running away from the dog

I dont care. I am within my rights to run on a bridleway and the dog should have been under control. If I stopped for every stupid mutt I’d never get any training in.
    This thread is about an injured 6 year old. I suppose you think he contributed to his own injuries?
    Bloody dog owners 🙄

enfht
    Free Member

Have you ever considered that your actions contributed to the attack, a dog will chase something that is running, if you had stopped running away from the dog

HaHaHa 🙄

jon1973
    Free Member

Wasn’t this actually caused by some pr1ck tying it between 2 lamposts or something and not actually a dog running about??

That’s how I read it. Nothing to do with dogs on extendible leads really.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Have you ever considered that your actions contributed to the attack, a dogyob will chase something that is running, if you had stopped running away from the dog yob they might not have tried to hit you

Yes I always blame the victims of aggression as they always do something to deserve it IME 🙄
    There are aggressive dogs out there and when a dog is actually biting me I am not going to stop and see if it stops as well. I am going to stop and kick the fecker till it stops.
    Do you think when a dog does this it has never ever done this before and the dog owner is taken by surprise?

A mates dog once jumped on to me when I was sat on the settee and bit my hand drawing blood he looked at me and said oh sorry he does that sometimes. It tried again a bit later I caught it and threw it and said oh sorry I do that sometimes. We are no longer friends. IME bad dog owners know there dogs are bad and should be more responsible.
    Nothing against dogs in general lovely creatures

Junkyard
    Free Member

you read it worng -= though the article is poor

Isaac had cycled round a bend in the road and straight into an extendable dog lead. The owner of the dog was on one side of the road and the dog was on the other when the accident happened. The lead appeared to have caught Isaac’s shoulder and moved up to his neck as he fell backwards.

“If he hadn’t been wearing his helmet which had cracked on impact, his injuries could have been far worse. Thankfully, Isaac has fully recovered but as a parent, it saddens me to think my beautiful little boy will have to bear the physical scars for the rest of his life.”

Council dog warden, Alison McGowan said: “This is not the first time we have witnessed rope type burns as a result of someone using this type of lead and as a service, we would never recommend people use them on the highway when dogs need to be kept under close control.”

http://road.cc/content/news/25887-boy-suffers-garrotting-injury-dog-lead

donsimon
    Free Member

I dont care. I am within my rights to run on a bridleway and the dog should have been under control. If I stopped for every stupid mutt I’d never get any training in.
    This thread is about an injured 6 year old. I suppose you think he contributed to his own injuries?
    Bloody dog owners

Of course your within your rights, why not exercise them on a shooting range? 🙄

This attitude reminds me, for those old enough to remember, the Brittas Empire where Gordon Brittas was run over on a zebra crossing, his last words before the accident were “It’s my right of way!”. Darwin, gotta love him.

HaHaHa

🙄 🙄 (I can do that too, see I’m clever

Junkyard – Member

Have you ever considered that your actions contributed to the attack, a dogyob will chase something that is running, if you had stopped running away from the dog yob they might not have tried to hit you

Yes I always blame the victims of aggression as they always do something to deserve it IME

At which pont did I blame the victims, I pointed to ONE case where the guy was running past the dog and the dog reacted. I wouldn’t expect you to understand that though.life must be so cozy when you don’t have to take responsibility for your own actions and the whole world bends and flexes itself to fit into yopur narrrow mindednes. (more of these) 🙄

This reminds me of an episode of the Brittas Empire of many years ago, Gordon Brittas was knocked down on a zebra crossing, his was heard saying just before the accident, “It’s my right of way!”. Darwin, gotta love him. ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Don, handsome little Staffy – the dog world’s great enthusiasts.

Thanks. 😆

surfer
    Free Member

Of course your within your rights, why not exercise them on a shooting range?

Because that would not be “within my rights” would it 🙄

life must be so cozy when you don’t have to take responsibility for your own actions

Whilst running along a bridleway at what point was I NOT taking responsibility for MY own actions? 🙄

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

when a dog is actually biting me I am not going to stop and see if it stops as well. I am going to stop and kick the fecker till it stops.

Too Bloody right!

A mates dog once jumped on to me when I was sat on the settee and bit my hand drawing blood he looked at me and said oh sorry he does that sometimes. It tried again a bit later I caught it and threw it and said oh sorry I do that sometimes. We are no longer friends. IME bad dog owners know there dogs are bad and should be more responsible.
    Nothing against dogs in general lovely creatures

Your ex mate is a **** and you are better off without him.

So Dog owners- you’re telling me that if I cycle slowly past a dog (which I do slow down and ring my bell way ahead) and if I’m attacked then it is my fault?

You are at fault and expect to pay bills and injuries when some toddler is mangled for no reason when you go to court or expect heavies to knock on your door at night 😆

I love behaved dogs btw.

donsimon
    Free Member

So Dog owners- you’re telling me that if I cycle slowly past a dog (which I do slow down and ring my bell way ahead) and if I’m attacked then it is my fault?

Absolutely not your fault, but the dog must be controlled and, by slowing down, you have done have done something not to spook the dog. If, however, you spook the dog by riding too quicky, too close and the dog reacts, then yes, you have some responsibility. I can not speak for people who don’t train, don’t control and don’t respect the rights of others. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Don you always seem so reasonable on here but you seem to have lost the plot a bit today

At which pont did I blame the victims,

This bit

Have you ever considered that your actions contributed to the attack

Apparently running in a place you are allowed to run is contributing to an unprovoked attack from a dog- i would class that as blaming the victim you count both being there and moving as “contributing” to an attack can you ?

I wouldn’t expect you to understand that though.life must be so cozy when you don’t have to take responsibility for your own actions and the whole world bends and flexes itself to fit into yopur narrrow mindednes.

Really WTF are you on about ? you are in a bad mood today aren’t you. Cheer up fella i am no dog hater, dogs are ace, staffies are lovely I have had dogs all my life.

donsimon
    Free Member

VictimS plural, not victim singular. I choose my words carefully.

And read my last post too, that might help… 😉

As a bit of a generalisation the UK has developed into a society where people don’t take responsibility for their actions. I live in a society with a different point of view. Let’s take an example, a hole in the pavement. A person walks down a British street and falls in. Who is responible? The local council? County Coucil? Central Govt? Or you for not looking where you’re going? Here in Spain a certain element would fall on you for not looking where you’re going… 😆

Take the zebra crossing from above,you have a right to cross as a pedestrian, but don’t you look first to see if it’s safe? Make a decision and not just excercise your right without thinking??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Dog owners….’ is closed to new replies.