Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Does Tyre sealant rot tyres ?
  • adi66
    Free Member

I’ve got (Given for FREE 😀 ) some Specialized Fast Trak LK Tyre’s and wanted to run them tubeless on my CB Cobalt’s

Whats the best tyre sealant to use ?

Can I use Slime, Stan’s Etc, without rotting my tyres, and I’ve heard rumors that Stan’s makes some tyre’s de-laminate ? Truth or Fiction ?

Advice would be muchley appreciated. 🙂

scaredypants

I heard somewhere that ammonia in some jizz can cause problems

no idea if it’s true

simondbarnes

If you ride enough it won’t be an issue, the tyres will wear out first 🙂

The new Fenwicks sealant looks interesting.

eshershore
    Free Member

its not true, been using Stans sealant for years with no issues

tires always wear out long before sealant can do anything?

Northwind

There’s a couple of pics that do the rounds of mentally distorted tyres- I think it’s usualyl a Nevegal and a Highroller, Kenda don’t recommend any of their tyres for ammonia-based sealants.

But I’ve never had any trace of a reaction from any brand, so it’s not really something I think about. I did have a Kenda Excavator delaminate and thought “that’ll be the sealant”, then I remembered it’d never been used with sealant!

slinkybike
    Free Member

I thought Stan’s use to de-lame some. Maxiss ust tires but I use the Maxiss 60 tpi tires with no problem. As stated before if you ride enough you will wear out the tires before they “rot” after 5 years of running tubeless I have had no tires rot.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve used Stan’s with at least 3 brands of tires over the last 7 years or so with no issues. Going tubeless is one of the best things that I have done to the bike.

kiwijohn

I had a Maxxis Monorail LUST develop a blister running Stan’s. Didn’t really need it in there in the first place.

spooky_b329

We had a pair of high rollers that both developed blisters in the space of a couple of weeks, around their whole circumference. The pic shows the worst, but the centre of the tyre has bumps all the way round!

Not had any trouble with Bonty tyres. Even if I had high rollers it wouldn’t stop me using Stans, they were a couple of years old anyway.

P.S Don’t use Slime, thats for tubed tyres.

IMG_1445 by Ollie and Sally, on Flickr

adi66
    Free Member

Cheers everybody, I guess that Stans should be ok, or are any other brands better ?

JohnnyPanic

The new Fenwicks sealant looks interesting.

Prompted by that comment I just googled for it.
    Looks interesting but recommending 150ml per wheel ?

FOG

Hmm, I had a maxxi advantage split after I had to put a tube in following a big puncture. Admittedly it was quite old and had just been removed from rim but I have never had one do that when I used to use tubes .

amt27
    Free Member

I had a Specialized Captain S-works go in the same way as the high roller above, I ran two of them tubeless as “fit and forget” training wheels for 8 months, I thought it was normal wear at the time

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve seen a Specialized Nimbus 700c hybrid tire develop 2 “blisters” that look exactly like those in the photos

from using a regular inner tube, rather than any tubeless sealant…

how the air got into the blister no one could work out??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Does Tyre sealant rot tyres ?’ is closed to new replies.