Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Does the santa cruz tallboy still suffer the 'circle of death'?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Morning all. I’m looking into purchasing a second hand tallboy Ltc. I have been reading about the above problem. I also read that they started to make the lower link ‘square shaped’ to avoid this problem. Is this true and if so on what year?

Cheers

bedmaker

Circular crack of doom was only on earlier ‘normal’ Tallboys, it was changed before LTc arrived and the LTc doesn’t suffer from it at all AFAIK

turbo1397
    Free Member

I was scouring the Internet and came across this thread from a few years ago on STW.

“Looks like the 2013/14 Bronson / Solo / Tallboy Carbon2 now have square inserts as opposed to the circular ones in the lower link mount, time will tell I suppose as to whether cracks form but the square shape should prevent this.”

Just wondering if all Ltc’s came with square inserts??

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Maybe check the cracked Bronson thread for an idea of how well SC have dealt with this problem…

turbo1397
    Free Member

yeh, That’s what spurred me to ask the question. I’m just wondering if they still used the same manufacturing process in the Ltc with regards to the lower linkage?

robcolliver
    Free Member

Sorry, can somebode point me in the direction of this thread please?

My Tallboy is nearly 6 and has done 20,000 miles so would be a prime candidate for fatigue issues.

I should check this before heading to the Tour Divide oon it again next year!

bowglie

FWIR, it’s as per bedmakers reply i.e. Only affected early Tallboy frames (pre LT ones).

I have an early TB LTc that I’ve owned since new; it that has seen plenty of use over very rough terrain – have worn out a few sets of linkage bearings and am on second set of linkage axles, but have not had any issues with cracking around the pivots. Fantastic bike BTW:)

HTH

jamcorse

I’ve done more than 10k km on my tallboy2 carbon and there are a couple of cracks in the gellcoat, otherwise fine. It’s a flipping great bike

andyg1966

Here you go Rob

Found it

turbo1397
    Free Member

That’s good to know that the Ltc’s don’t seem to be affected as I’m looking at purchasing a used one. Can’t quite afford a new one unfortunately..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Does the santa cruz tallboy still suffer the 'circle of death'?’ is closed to new replies.