Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Does such a thing as clear, self-adhesive, Scotchlite tape exist…..
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

……my Google-Fu appears to be weak today?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

So, either nobody knows, nobody cares or it doesn’t exist! 😉

nealglover
    Free Member
    darbeze
    Free Member
    bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’d like it to be clear (well, as opaque as possible) so the underlying color of the surface it’s stuck to comes through. As far as I can tell, you can get the tape in pretty much any colour, except clear/opaque.

oldnick

I doubt it, most reflective tape has an opaque (as in not transparent) reflective layer with a coloured transparent top surface.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’ll live with some opacity (?), but the white stuff appears to be solid white, while the red (say) is most definitely red, you can;t see the little magic fairies embedded in it with their glow sticks (NB – this may not be how it works….)

scotroutes

It’s the background (coloured) tape that gives it the reflectivity.

oldnick

To put it another way a see-through mirror wouldn’t reflect much would it?

iolo
    Free Member

Helicopter tape?

CountZero

Sorry, but what you’re asking is impossible. Retro-reflective tape or film comprises millions of tiny glass spheres, bonded onto an aluminiumised substrate, in order to reflect directed light back at the viewer, the spheres act as tiny lenses and concentrate the light. Without the reflective opaque aluminium background, it just cannot work, like taking the reflective coating off the back of a mirror, and still expecting it to work as a mirror.
    Depending on the background colour, you can sometimes find tape that approximately matches the colour of whatever it’s stuck to, and it can be overprinted with transparent coloured inks to get whatever colour you want, or even a full-colour image, but that’s custom work and pricy.
    You can actually get black reflective tape and sheet, if that’s a help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Does such a thing as clear, self-adhesive, Scotchlite tape exist…..’ is closed to new replies.