Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Does anyone know how to find a firm to remove my cavity wall insulation…
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

…because I am really struggling. CIGA have been about as much use as tits on a fish, and the handful that I’ve emailed haven’t bothered to reply. Has anyone had this done, and if so, how did you find a decent firm to do it? In Scotland ideally.

Thanks.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Haven’t got a clue…but why remove it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If there is a list of things that are difficult to remove, I’d wager cavity wall insulation is high up on it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cwi is notorious for causing damps in houses not designed for it so id wager thats why wants it out ??

bruneep

why?

BlobOnAStick

OP: What sort of material is it? Could it be chemically disolved?

forge197
    Free Member

is it not polystyrene balls can’t you use a big hoover.?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Btw is it old 1960s stuff or recent ?

If you insist what ever issue you have with it wasnt there before then you should be able to get the installer to remove presuming it was recent.

Cwi isnt the wonder cure it was touted as – would never have it in my house

tonyplym
    Free Member

All depends on what type of insulation has been used, and if it was fitted from the outset in a new build, or has been installed as an afterthought. Some good advice here.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s mineral wall blown into the cavity, 1950’s brick and render house that takes a frequent battering from the wind and rain on the Scottish west coast.

There is significant damp on the interior wall on the gable end that takes the brunt of the weather. This extends up to the first floor so it’s not coming up from the ground. It’s been checked by the council surveyor and he’s certain this is the problem.

What I need is a firm to come and check the state of the insulation and remove it if it’s wet, which all things considered is likely to be the case.

Getting the installer to sort it is a non-starter – it was done before I moved in, I’ve no paperwork from whoever did it, no guarantee paperwork, and CIGA have no record of my house. On top of that, the chap from the council tells me the firms are very good at finding excuses why it’s not their fault.

Bottom line is, it shouldn’t have been put into this house, and needs to come out. But I’m banging my head against a wall trying to get a response from any firm to see if they’ll come and do it, hence asking on the all-knowing STW!

(Been on askjeff too, and even emailed ‘him’, but heard nowt yet).

TooTall
    Free Member

Cwi isnt the wonder cure it was touted as – would never have it in my house

It isn’t the massive problem some would have you believe either. It works in the majority of existing UK housing stock. It does sound like the OP is in a house with a shoddy job (one that perhaps should not have taken place).

OP – can the render not be waterproofed on that wall or another external skin be added?

Edukator
    Free Member

What about polystyrene and render on the outside thus waterproofing and further insulating. The wall will eventually dry from the inside assuming the dampproof course isn’t bridged by the CWI.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Could you possibly seal the external render and bwork with one of the available products on the markets as a starter??

Shadow
    Free Member

Takes some bricks out the bottom and get hoovering

dropoff

Check google, lots of info there. Mostly done by knocking out pockets at the bottom of the wall. Edukator has the right idea, externally insulated and clad to waterproof it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Am i right in thinking you two are in the business or selling or reccomending the stuff iirc ?

My views are based on the amount of jobs my dad gets called to for a “damp patch”

But its cheap and easy to fit – perhaps we both thinking the same in that some house just shouldnt have it alot of houses need to breathe Unfortunantly the companys are always keen to install it – doesnt do it any favours

thegreatape
    Free Member

Possibly it could – I was looking at getting the render redone when the damp problem reared its head.
    I would like to get it dry inside before I make the outside watertight. I’ll look at alternatives once my walls are dry – have heard of the external foam and render, or there’s bartender/insulation on the inside.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

In Scotland ideally.

Haven’t got a clue…but why remove it?

The clues are all there, you are moving house and want to take it with you? 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve been rumbled 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone know how to find a firm to remove my cavity wall insulation…’ is closed to new replies.