Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Does anyone else think that Orange have pulled a blinder PR wise?
  • igm

I mean they even say the 2011 Five is last year's bike with the seat tube it should have had years ago, a fatter head tube and a bash guard mount.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Five and I love it, but well done for making that big a splash out of the same old bike – albeit a fairly decent old bike, I mean at least they haven't trashed it.

Am I missing something?

Kevevs
    Free Member

a life?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Still looks like a halfords special.

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

average, noisy bikes that hinge in the middle and cost a lot of money. Vastly overated and typical of a kind of stuck in past british engineering.A lot of people ride them and enjoy them though

highclimber
    Free Member

Still looks like its built from off-cuts from a Sheffield foundry.

sharki
    Free Member

It's a bike and and has a design that some people like..

Much like the human form, some people like women, some like, men, some feel the need to change to suit their needs/wants.

Orange feel they made the ideal uk trail bike, but due to industry fads, tweeks have been made, ie, tappered head tubes, droppy/risey seat posts, none of this changes the way the bike rides, just lets it evolve with trends..

I think they've made a good move.

Sharki(ex 5 owner and still big fan)

M6TTF
    Free Member

Never ridden one but would like to see what the fuss is about

coatesy
    Free Member

I think that will appeal to the average 5 owner/prospective purchaser, they want a simple,good handling and reliable bike, and that hasn't changed. 5's have been a consistent good seller since day one based on those criteria.

druidh
    Free Member

A "consistent good seller"?? On the planet Zorg perhaps?

scant
    Free Member

I loved my 5 right until the moment it broke.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The question is… will it really make much difference and improve the ride?

hora
    Free Member

Have they changed the head angle back? I didn't think it was a bad frame- just didnt the slack head angle on the 09. I thought it was too slack for the rest of the ride/bike.

D0NK

Dunno, don't you think its a bit pants when a company completely redesigns their bikes every year? "you've got our '09 model?? that was rubbish buy the '10 version instead it's LOADS better"
    whereas a design thats been around for a few years just tweaked occasionally instills a bit of confidence I think – certainly shows a manufacturers commitment to a "platform"

Or if you're cynical
    constant redesign=always cutting edge
    tweak=lazyness

DT78
    Free Member

Nice frames. But vastly overpriced imo.

hora
    Free Member

Agree with Donk.

I also think Fives are overpriced by circa 40% however they'll only price the frames what customers will pay so its the consumers own fault NOT Orange's.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One day they'll outsource to tiawan, people will complain, but the frames will be ~£800 so those of us who look at them and think that for £2.2k a basic fork and deore level kit is a bit of a rip off it will finaly be a good bike.

hora
    Free Member

Why would they sell the frame for £800 if its out-sourced to Taiwan?

Their hardtails are hardly cheap.

elaineanne
    Free Member

nedoverendsmole : "vastly overated"- you say?????? are you wrong in your head.. well each to their own i guess…. i luv mine and i can tell you they just dont 'break down' (hope i havent spoke too soon..lol) they are extemely well made/strong built…and 'built to last'…. had mine for 1 year and one month and still going strong…no issues as yet…perfect bike ..sorry i cant fault it at all… "ORANGE ; you are the best" !

elaineanne
    Free Member

ps : funny how it gets nominated 10/10 for "Trail Bike Of The Year" 8) for the last 4/5 years !!!!!!!

tron
    Free Member

As far as I can see, Orange have an unusual marketing strategy. They consistently get coverage in all the magazines, but rarely actually advertise. It works in a roundabout way – they've got a pretty high profile in the UK (witness the editorial in ST a month or two ago, consistent test wins etc.), and their kit doesn't get too heavily discounted. They seem to follow the old model of promoting bikes and kit to dealers and press.

On the other hand, if you pick up a foreign MTB mag, you'll see no mention of them. It seems rather limiting, but I suspect that ultimately the firm doesn't want big export markets or to grow a great deal – if I were them, I'd be all over the US like a rash given the way the Americans view UK brands like Raleigh. Firms like Empire, Planet X and Ragley make much more of an international splash.

tron
    Free Member

Edit: Doublepost.

gothandy

I came across the 2005 MBR Trail Bike of the year magazine at the back of a box in the garage. It had both the Prophet 1000 and the Orange Five, neither got 10/10 at the time, but then did go on to get higher scores later on, not sure what changed on either bike, they both look the same as they did every year after that.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

By all accounts the handling is very different this year. Not tried it myself but I know a couple of people who have.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Over priced plough. It is not exactly cosmetically pleasing, what is going on with the welds on the head tube? I'm sure it rides better than it looks, which is why they are so popular lets face it. But just coz it's british don't give it any extra appeal for me, my ride has to tick almost all the boxes… in my eyes! 😉

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

i dont own one but ride with a lad who does.he has an 08 ex test bike that was well thrashed before he even got it.

it just keeps going.the pro 11 needed a complete overall but the frame is perfect appart from the downtube cable guide is hanging on for dear life but that is also now sorted on newer models.

i think they in a world of bendy over complicated frames look the business.basic works best in engineering aswell you know.

plus how good is it ti still see a company make design buid & employ in england …….in fact im whelling up im gunna go sing the national anthem ….

ill be having one one day soon.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Tomahawk im dying to ask & see what you ride

hora
    Free Member

came across the 2005 MBR Trail Bike of the year magazine at the back of a box in the garage. It had both the Prophet 1000 and the Orange Five, neither got 10/10 at the time, but then did go on to get higher scores later on, not sure what changed on either bike, they both look the same as they did every year after that.

Take most mag reviews with a pinch of salt. Recent what mtb best bike shoot out referred to the Trek as 'best bike of ever'? Next year there will be a new winner which wont be technology more advanced. etc.

Its all bullcrap.

Hadge
    Free Member

The 5 has got better each year due to shock technology really and in all honesty is quite a simple frame, one pivot and that's it. As for VFM it is bordering on the edge of being expensive for what it is but they sell well and I'm sure Orange are happy with that. This years look better than previous models but not as nice as some other frames. Each to his own though and all that 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dunno if anyone read my 'report' of yesterdays test ride on another thread but I took the demo bike back to Bike Scene today & ordered one.
    Ok it's not the best looking of those out there but you don't watch the mantelpiece when your'e poking the fire do you?
    I had the demo one yesterday & today. I did about 15-18 miles of Nidderdale yesterday & f***ed about in Guisborough woods today. After yesterday, thoughts of, 'Hmm.. maybe I should try a Specialized/Trek/LaPierre/Santa Cruz/Giant/Cannondale/etc etc etc' never even entered my head. I liked it. A lot. So I ordered one. Simple.

hora
    Free Member

I really wish I'd test ridden mine before buying. Lost £400 buying on mag reviews. FFS.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Hadge hit the nail on the head there; on my two test rides I found it heavily reliant on shock platform, even that wasnt enough to tame the bob.

Wouldn't mind trying one with a CCDB though 😉

toby1

Going back to the original post – yeah they have got a decent amount of press with very few real changes to the frame. But I expect having a good relationship with editors and jorno's means they can pull in a favour or 2 when they need it. The impression I get is they are well liked and respected by people, that pays dividends.

As for the rest of the thread, if you don't like them, then don't ride them, quit whinging about them and **** off and ride something else you miserable f…..

Each to there own boys.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

on my two test rides I found it heavily reliant on shock platform, even that wasnt enough to tame the bob.

If you'd read my bit about my test ride you'd have seen that I could'nt feel any noticable 'bob'. The pro-pedal & fork lockout worked very well on the climb up to Middlesmoor IMO
    Unless you were honking like a deranged goose of course. 😉
    Anyway as I've said on't other thread, I've ordered one.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I think its a credit to Orange that they have stayed with a simple design for so long,that works.
    Anything that is well proven should evolve as a product, adapting to technology as each component is improved,if it works so well why change things for the sake of it?

I think lots of Manufacturers re-make suspension and frame designs (year to year) in a unnecessary attempt to increase sales,this confuses the consumer with a new product,that will only sell if it gets a rave review in a magazine! 🙄

And imho thats why the orange bikes are so good and riders have voted with there wallets,Its Simple,reliable,and works..best of all it continues to get good reviews in the magazines. :P(Commencal rider) 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

The new features are certainly welcome but other bikes already have these features so it looks like catch-up to me. Especially given that Orange are free (relatively) to introduce running chances if they wanted.

They are great bikes but i too believe (which means i agree with Hora!) that the new slacker angles are too slack for the bike. Combine the 2007 frame angles with the new features and you'd have a better allround bike IMO.

It's mildly assumsing to see people getting so excited about a bike that is identical geometry wise to last years model but has a bigger seat tube etc etc.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL igm you are clearly missing the point
    Orange dont do Hype
    The changes are improvements on a dam good frame.

Also get a life, and ride your bike.

igm

In case anyone is still reading this (get to bed it's the Grassington 100 tomorrow – at Kilnsey and it's "only" 85km), I have a 2005 Five, which if you check the angles is quite a different bike from the last few years, but in terms of suspension I just can't break it. And that's with being 16st and taking my son on the bike – on a LOCT – to the Alps.

I love it's simplicity, it's robustness and it rides pretty well (better with the Pikes than the original Float 130Rs). And my wife loves hers. And my best man loves his.

I totally get the whole "it's just a bike – you ride it (anywhere)" style of the thing. It's spot on. And I like the slow evolution – though do check the angles, wheel base and suspension travel as they have all changed over the years.

What I didn't get was a week of count down to find out it's roughly what was in the bike mags recently and it's pretty much what I saw at Dalby the other month – ie lots of talk about not a lot of changes.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

After yesterday, thoughts of, 'Hmm.. maybe I should try a Specialized/Trek/LaPierre/Santa Cruz/Giant/Cannondale/etc etc etc' never even entered my head. I liked it. A lot. So I ordered one. Simple.

Maybe you should have tried some others, Orange owners seem to fiercely defend the 5 as the holy grail of FS bikes. Its as if they are in denial of how far suspension designs have progressed in recent times and they fact that there are better value for money alternatives available.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Maybe you should have tried some others, Orange owners seem to fiercely defend the 5 as the holy grail of FS bikes. Its as if they are in denial of how far suspension designs have progressed in recent times and they fact that there are better value for money alternatives available.
    Considering it was the 1st Orange I've ever cocked me leg over I reckon youv'e backed up my decision to buy one. I have actually ridden other F/S bikes in the past, but was MORE than happy with the 5. I wasn't looking for value for money (for a change). Plus I don't have the time or inclination to find dealers of other makes to fanny around testing other stuff. Some people must be like our lass when she's looking for a dress. She goes into the 1st shop, tries one on & says, 'ohh, thats nice, I love it, but I'll just go to XXX & see what they've got' This goes on all day & she ends up back at the first shop!
    I loved it, I ordered it.

hora
    Free Member

Horses for courses….I see the BLT2 as a natural progression from my Blur4x when I come to change my 'steed' 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else think that Orange have pulled a blinder PR wise?’ is closed to new replies.