Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Does a bent rear QR skewer mean a broken axle?
  • Moonhead
    Free Member

Hi all,

Has anyone had this?

Noticed today on a ride that my rear wheel, (Bontrager Rhythm Comp on a 5) was making ‘clicking’ noises. It only seems to happen when I am sitting on the bike, both while coasting and using the pedals.

Also, and this may be unrelated, the pads rub on the disk rotor at one point, but only when I am sitting on the bike. Not when I flip it upside down and spin the wheel.

On further investigation I have found the skewer to be bent, only slightly at the end near the thread. The rear wheel is also out of true.

Any of this sound familiar to anyone? Google suggests that a bent skewer points to a broken axle.

I should add that I have been learning to jump…..badly….so this is probably has something to do with it.

Any help would be great…really skint at the moment so trying to find the cheapest fix.

Thanks STW massive!

steezysix
    Free Member

Erm, the skewer is the axle isn’t it? If it’s bent it’ll probably cause your wheel to run slightly off axis, putting more wear on the brakes, bearing and dropouts. They’re not too expensive to replace.

Moonhead
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply steezsix…. I have a new one to test tomorrow.

I thought…from my google search…that the axle was the part of the hub that rests on the drop outs?? I am still trying to understand how I have bent the skewer…..I thought it’s only job was to hold the wheel in place.

Bit confused!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steezysix
    Free Member

Not sure – I don’t use QR skewers, just 10mm or 12mm rear axle. If you’re planning on doing more jumps and drops, it’d be worth seeing if you can get a conversion kit for your rear wheel. A 10mm axle would be a lot stronger without needing to change the frame dropouts and would also stiffen the rear of the bike when cornering.

Moonhead
    Free Member

Thanks steezysix. You are right, a conversion would be best, will look into it. In the mean time will have to bite the bullet and get the LBS to have a look if the new skewer doesn’t help things.

Cheers!

kayak23

The qr doesn’t take the force of the wheel, it only holds the dropouts together. The part of the hub assembly that sticks out into the dropouts takes that pressure.

I always seem to have slightly bent Skewers too, perhaps it indicates the rear triangle is flexing a bit. Try a good quality qr or 10mm dropouts.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If your axle is bent, it’s easily confirmed by rotating it.

You are unlikely to be bending axles if the freehub is supporting the axle at the DS, as most mtb hubs do (not sure re. Bontys tho)

Michael-B
    Free Member

How very odd I was changing tyres and noticed the same thing on my bike yesterday “skewer bent, only slightly at the end near the thread” and “the pads rub on the disk rotor at one point, but only when I am sitting on the bike. Not when I flip it upside down and spin the wheel.”

I can’t really understand how it’s happened as surely the hub rests on the drop outs. This is a hard tail and I haven’t been doing jumps are anything like that.

DT78
    Free Member

I have broken a rear axle it is really noticable – when you pedal the wheel twisted and the tyre rubbed on the chainstay… No jumping here just a cheap bike covering lots of miles – gt aggressor

Michael-B
    Free Member

Been thinking about this more and I had a Chain Tug and it bent on that side. So the force of me peeling (bent drive side) against the chain tug on horizontal dropouts (On One Ti29er) bent the quick release. So I need a new quick release but as I’m running gears and clearance isn’t an issue I could slam the hub right to the back and not bother with the chain tug. Does that make sense?

TheBrick
    Free Member

steezysix – Member
    Erm, the skewer is the axle isn’t it?

No.

It is possible you axle is bent and not snapped (which would be very noticeable). Remove the wheel and turn the axle by hand slowly, if there is a tight spot it would suggest the axle is bent. Ideally just remove the axle and roll in on a nice flat surface. e.g a piece of glass.

TheBrick
    Free Member

A 10mm axle would be a lot stronger without needing to change the frame dropouts and would also stiffen the rear of the bike when cornering.

Standard rear q/r axles are 10 mm OD already. 10 mm though axles are stiffer due to there attachment method.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Does a bent rear QR skewer mean a broken axle?’ is closed to new replies.