Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dodgy XT clutch mech, advice please.
  • Mugboo

I did the Gisburn Enduro today but I had an issue with my mech. My chain became very loose because the cage seemed to lose tension. The nice bloke from Escape bike tapped the clutch cover with his screwdriver and said to open it up carefully and lube it.
    I went with backing off the bolts and spraying lube inside, this seemed to work.

Last week at Wharncliffe it jammed forward briefly just once.

Any idea what’s going wrong?

Xt clutch mech LGS (new), XT cassette with hope 40t, hope 32 retainer ring.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Mine did the same a few weeks ago. Opened it up and found that the tiny spring which operates the cam had snapped in two. Maybe the same problem?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Under a year old? Try warranty

Mugboo

I’ll open it up once I get chance to wash it and have look. The mech is a warranty replacement I bought from a mate so might have a chance of sending it back.

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 XT clutch mechs fail in less than a year. Both times the flimsy bit of metal that holds the clutch adjusting screw has split in two. Very poor design with nowhere near enough material around the area its failing.

timmys

I thought lubing the clutch was a no-no, as it’s a clutch and you don’t want it slipping? Sounds like yours is knackered anyway though.

Mugboo

You might be right. Although it worked better once I’d lubed it.

Bloke from Escape bikes thought the clutch might be too tight.

This clutch was a replacement for one with a broken clutch. It’s my first clutch mech so it’s all new to me.

Mugboo

Opened it up today and nothing is broken. I’ve given it all a wipe over to remove most of the lube and backed the clutch off a bit. The bloke from Escape Bikes thought the clutch might be a bit tight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy XT clutch mech, advice please.’ is closed to new replies.