Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Rear axle advice needed
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

Currently got a 10mm thick rear superstar qr (135mm width) that I need to convert to 12mm to fit my new wheels. Can someone point me directly at the correct one to buy please.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Which hubs?

leythervegas
    Free Member

They are ibis hubs

fr0sty125
    Free Member

So you have an Ibis hub and 10mm QR drop outs on your frame any pics of the hubs? I guess they are rebranded…

leythervegas
    Free Member

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I guess something like this would be much easier than finding the hub adapters.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sun-ringle-rear-conversion-axle-2013/rp-prod65450

I think Atomlab do one to.

RustyMac

I presume you have already checked your frame will take a 12mm axle?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Currently got a 10mm thick rear superstar qr (135mm width) that I need to convert to 12mm to fit my new wheels. Can someone point me directly at the correct one to buy please.

You didn’t get an axle with the new wheels?
    Also, are your new wheels 142×12 or 135×12?

I could be wrong, but I think all 12mm wheels/frames are bolt-through, where as 10mm are QR. You would need you get hub adapters for it to work – or a new frame!

chico66
    Free Member

Hey Leyther, forgot to thank you for the PSA on your original thread. Managed to get a set before the price went up 😀

I’m in the same boat as you, if stuck I was going to go with frosty’s suggestion. But if they are indeed Novatec/Superstar hubs then converting them should be pretty straight forward. I’m relatively lucky that I can change the dropouts in my frame but that’s quite expensive and I’ve just bought a new set of 10mm’s

Unfortunately I’m out of the country and won’t get a look at mine for quite a few days yet 🙁

leythervegas
    Free Member

Stupidly I didn’t even consider it fitting in the drop outs. What a tit I am! I’ll phone onone for help as mine are going (hopefully) on my c456

RustyMac

this may be of use to you.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/who-makes-ibis-hubs-speed-tuned-xm-860929.html

I also believe that superstar have their hubs made by nova-tec / joy-tech.

chico66
    Free Member

Looks like the C456 has bolt on drop outs so you should be ok but I think you’ll struggle to get a quick release 135 x 12 QR so you’ll be looking at a bolt through anyway. Either way, that’s starting to get pretty expensive. Be as well go with Frosty’s suggestion, 15 quid and you’re sorted. New 10mm axle from Superstar is even cheaper if it will fit. Any chance of pics?

Aaargh, I wish I was at home to get a look at mine! 😡

leythervegas
    Free Member

Right I’ve gone with Your advice Frosty and ordered the convertor from crc. If it works you will be my hero. If it doesn’t I’ll send it back.

SSBonty
    Free Member

So did anyone have any luck with these hubs and adapters? Leythervegas – was your 135x10mm QR too loose hence the 135×12 qr or adapter needed?

I got the 135×12 wheels when they were super cheap, ordered the Sun Ringle axle, but it looks as though it is no-where near fitting. The 10mm ends of it seems to just fit and as soon as it reaches the step up to the 12mm part it hits against the outside of the hub axle. I’ll measure it but I can’t see how it can possibly fit…

Is there a possibility this could be a 135x10mm thru axle hub, in which case a 135x10mm QR from i.e. DT or similar would fit? Did Ibis ever make 135×10 (or Novatec or whoever made the hubs)?

Alex

Assuming they are Novatec hubs as per the pic up there, it’s easy.

Yep. Just order them direct from ibis in the US. 2Pure don’t have any, although they said there were going to get some more. Might be worth giving them a shout. The US ones turned up in a week, postage was as expensive as the part tho.

When you swap them over, make sure you take the collet off the 135mm axle and fit to the new one. It’s the part that allows the freewheel to rotate after you tighten the axle up. Ask me how i know 😉

Alex
    SSBonty
    Free Member

Alex – so what did you do exactly? convert from 135×12 to 142×12? As I’m trying to figure out how to run what I bought as 135x12mm in ‘standard’ 135x10mm dropouts and have had no luck with the Sun Ringle adapter…

Suggsey
    Free Member

I got a 135mm 12mm step down to 10mm qr from rose bikes in Germany for not too many euros. Works a treat on my 456 and is nice and secure. I’ll see if I can find the link.

Alex

I *think* I was shipped 135×10 and I *definitely* swapped to a 142×12 using an entirely different axle as per those pics, not end caps like Hope. Sounds like you’re trying to go the other way. Sorry misunderstood your initial post.

Think the step down suggested above might work. I can have a look/measure of what the hub came with tomorrow if that’d help?

SSBonty
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Alex, yeah it looks like I’m trying to go the opposite way to you!

Hmmm, just been and measured the hub and I’m 99.9% certain it’s 135x10mm rather than the 135x12mm it was sold as. Was yours the same Alex? Guess it’s worth pointing out to anyone who has bought these previously…

This is actually a bonus if I can just use a DT Swiss 10mm RWS thru QR – anyone tried that or the superstar one or similar?

Though I now have to send the 12mm-10mm stepdown I bought (the sun ringle one, looks like the Rose one above but came with bolts instead of a QR) and have it exchanged for the DT… I’ll get it working somehow sooner or later!

snaps
    Free Member

If any one wants to share postage on an order from Ibis in the USA, drop me a mail.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Oh and I think I have a spare set of 15mm front adapter end caps for the front wheel to take it from 20mm for sale if anyone is interested – ordered a set from Ibis in the USA but they came with a set anyway! I’ve emailed 2pure to ask if these hubs came in 135x10mm flavour, they were super helpful with the initial order so I’m sure they will be with this issue!

SSBonty
    Free Member

2 Pure have confirmed they got a mixed bag of wheels instead of what should have all been 135x12mm rears, so there are likely 135x10mm and 142x12m in there as well. They’ve kindly offered to send free of charge a 10mm thru-axle by express post; I’ll use that to get the bike running and then see if a DT RWS would offer anything over whatever one they can come up with. Fingers crossed this sorts it all out!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Rear axle advice needed’ is closed to new replies.